Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Where exactly will I be shorting if you don't mind my asking? And yeah, squares are awesome! Especially when people ask what it is.

You will be shorting from the battery terminal on the starter relay to the motor connection on that relay. Both are threaded studs. Both have nuts holding their connections onto the lugs.

This "shorting" simply applies battery power directly to the motor part of the starter, bypassing the solenoid. Because the solenoid is not being activated, the Bendix gear on the starter will not engage the flywheel, and thus, the engine won't be cranked by the starter. It will demonstrate that the motor part of the starter assembly works, and that the problem, therefore, must be in the solenoid itself.

----

Way back when, I had a blue '69 fastback that I bought for $500, with a worn out engine. When you drove it, everything behind you disappeared in an oil smoke cloud. I honed and slapped a used set of 85.5mm cylinders on it. After that, it ran like a champ. Stupid thing got around 30 mpg with the fuel injection. Talk about a freeway flyer - it would cruse 85 mph with no effort at all. Sold it to my brother in law. Wish I hadn't done that... Oh well...

Dang! Great MPG. And thanks again for the in depth-ness. I'm still reletively unknowledgable around cars, even though I've been working on them for quite a while now, so it really helps!

Hey, if you want another Square I have a blue 70 for sale! "Needs Work" Haha.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Dang! Great MPG.

Yeah, gas was much better 40 years ago. Higher energy content. No alcohol, just lead Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Nah, too old for another major project, and I'm out of driveway... Thanks anyway. Hope it finds a good home, and doesn't get hacked.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Dang! Great MPG.

Yeah, gas was much better 40 years ago. Higher energy content. No alcohol, just lead Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Nah, too old for another major project, and I'm out of driveway... Thanks anyway. Hope it finds a good home, and doesn't get hacked.

Haha, for sure. Someone will want him eventually, and if not maybe I'll find the time to baja him.

In the mean time, I've been getting out some of the bus' nasty flooring and awful glue. I'll take pictures soon, but my camera was busted for a while there!
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Someone will want him eventually, and if not maybe I'll find the time to baja him.

That would be bad. Don't cut it - sell it to someone who appreciates it, for what it is. Like a bus, they're not making them anymore...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Someone will want him eventually, and if not maybe I'll find the time to baja him.

That would be bad. Don't cut it - sell it to someone who appreciates it, for what it is. Like a bus, they're not making them anymore...

Oh, god, no no cutting. More "Class 11" style. I cant stand seeing stuff cut up, hurts my soul!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

I've FINALLY got around to doing work, yes I'm dead serious!

I've been so busy working 6-7 days a week with two jobs, plus the heat here is just so hot (110 this week's high.) that I haven't had time or felt like doing work, but I was finally in a "do it" mood!

First off, what it pretty much looked like before:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But she had ab ack seat installed, too. I took it out before I took a pic unfortunately. You can see the nearest floor is where I started taking a crack at the tons of glue under the particle board. I haven't gotten far Sad stuff is hard and plenty on there!

Next up: there was a small wooden wall here to the right, with insulation for some reason?

Well, that's all out and back to normal - and it looks great too!

Back seat out! This has been turned into a loveseat in my home.

New back seat ready for action! For the moment she'll be a small day camper, pretty much just the bed/bed seat and that's really it (once she's cleaned up and all.)

There's also a early bay nearby that looks like a tin-top that's been sitting rusting for years - I might stop and ask if they'd not sell some parts or at least tell me about it, as I'm always interested in hearing people's stories about their cars.

I also noticed, you can see in the pics, the wall with the window in it was hit and "repaired" at some point with a hammer and bondo, I'm currently looking into buying and shipping a RHD slider door and doing a double-slider. Remember, one day I'd like to make a mobile workshop! It'd be nice to have access on either side.

Other than that - I'll be up at the Bug In this weekend, selling a couple T3 and Super parts with friend GlutenFree. I wish my Square ran to take him up, but no luck.

I'm really looking for some parts! Let me know if you're going to the Bug In and have some parts I need. If you have blue folding front bench seat upholstery, I'll very much be in the market for a decent price. I also need some cheapo hubs for the poor girl. I'd prefer them to be damaged for a lower price and to kinda fit the style. Got a panel slider door? I might buy it! I don't have a ton of cash right now and am hoping the bug-in will net me a bit to spend up there, but please do let me know here either way.

Oh! And a yellow pattern set of rear Westy bedding!

Thanks! Hopefully you guys will see more soon!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Hia! Been a while, huh? Sorry!

I'm hoping to get working on the Bus soon as I've finally gotten the squareback running again (still have to do his brakes but hey, progress is progress!)

I'm also still really hoping to find a middle driver's side section (quarter panel I guess?) but no luck as of yet. I'd prefer a panel one, but I guess I could, if I can't find one, go for a Kombi one for a while. If you know anyone or have a middle panel section, let me know! I live in Oregon but we're traveling through Cali, super lower NV (pretty much just Primm and Vegas), and AZ for Thanksgiving - so I CAN pick up around then.

After the rain clears up on a day I'm actually home, I'll be looking at getting the starter out and cleaned up, figure out what's up with it, and maybe swapping Blueberry's in. If his won't start it up - I'll move on and buy a new one.

Then it's down to figuring out why the brakes leak, or at least figuring out where from? Seems to be up front, so I was thinking the reservoir maybe? I know it's brittle, but I haven't looked into the issue much yet.

I'd also love to drop it, but I know it'll be reaaaal expensive, huh?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Centre Side Panel, Genuine VW LHD Left, Panel Van with no window 68-79. 211-809-151A
http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_364039...9151A.html
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Centre Side Panel, Genuine VW LHD Left, Panel Van with no window 68-79. 211-809-151A
http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/prod_364039...9151A.html

Thank you! Exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately way way out of my location and price range. I'll keep hoping though!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Looks like they cut a window in it. But half of is there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1239195
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Looks like they cut a window in it. But half of is there.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1239195

I had seen that one actually and been considering it! I'm learning fabrication still but it wouldn't be too hard to patch up. I could patch mine, but it's also been hit and bondo'd so I'd rather just get a new one.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Just got all the rear flooring out, decided not to pull out all the glue stuff. Instead I'll repair what I've taken out to flatten it, add layering and put a diamond-plate top on it for the "workshop" look, since this will be a shop van.

I'm also about ready to try fitting the westy seat that will be in it till it's perfect. Has anyone had experience with this and can you offer any help? I'll have to drill my own holes, obviously, but any recommendations before I start trying?

I'm still looking for parts in Oregon. If anyone's got anything they think I'd be interested in - PM me or let me know here!
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

When you drill through the floor, always check ALL measurements at least twice. Not very pleasant to find you have just drilled through that new brake line or gas line! Best to have a sharp eyed assistant on the other side, just for kicks and giggles. Good Luck and hang tough!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:
When you drill through the floor, always check ALL measurements at least twice. Not very pleasant to find you have just drilled through that new brake line or gas line! Best to have a sharp eyed assistant on the other side, just for kicks and giggles. Good Luck and hang tough!

Thank you for the advice! Definitely measure twice cut once, or drill in this case Razz

I'm figuring out what I want to do as far as floor height and stuff as of the moment, but it's all exciting! I also really want to fix my rear bumper but it looks pretty banged up. If anyone has a decently priced one, even if it's not perfect, and is in Oregon or CA/NV/AZ, I'd love to hear from you. I just don't want it to be banged up like mine is. They obviously tried to fix it themselves and it just looks bumpy now. I could fix small dents, but I don't know about this.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Does anyone have a reccomended topic on installing a headliner? I'd like to buy one and install a cab-only white liner, but have had hit and miss feelings about the topics I see. Thanks!

Here's some recent pics of the progress to the interior, my main goal as of recent.

Front seats are piled with stuff I may or may not need. The floor has come up well though! I've decided to leave the junky black goop, and put in that diamondplate floor.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

This was in Tech Tips
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630980&highlight=vinyl+head%2A

Hope it helps
Tcash
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
This was in Tech Tips
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630980&highlight=vinyl+head%2A

Hope it helps
Tcash

Actually looks quite helpful! Not sure how I missed that one. Sometimes I guess I'm just blind.

I'll grab up the headliner and supplies here soon and hopefully have an update for y'all in the coming few weeks. Wish winter wasn't so cold so I had more time to work!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Tcash wrote:
This was in Tech Tips

Hope it helps
Tcash

Actually looks quite helpful! Not sure how I missed that one. Sometimes I guess I'm just blind.

I'll grab up the headliner and supplies here soon and hopefully have an update for y'all in the coming few weeks. Wish winter wasn't so cold so I had more time to work!

To search for a specific topic on a page.
Press Ctrl&F and type in search term in Field box.
Good luck
Tcash
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Just got the starter in today! I'll be installing it probably the day after tomorrow when I have the day off. Excited! I'm also picking up another Type 3 here on the 4th!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Starter is in as of tonight! Havent tried starting it yet because I have to swap in the battery from my Type 3, and it was 7:30 when I was done, but it's in and secure!

By the by - what's the extra wire coming off the positive terminal? Looks like it'd connect to just a generic wire tab. No pics because my phone died and it's dark out anyways, but I'll see if I can get a shot tomorrow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: