Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Progress! Sorta. I'm getting a big ol clunk when I turn the ignition. It's more than what I was getting so I'm excited!
*Battery isn't dead, just starter the Square with no issues at all on it.
Probably the terminals. I know they're pretty corroded. But the starter was definitely bad - looked like the original (hefty mofo!)

I also found, while testing stuff -
The green light comes on only when the headlights are on (which turns on the running lights in the car) but turns off when the ignition is turned, which turns on the red light.
The left blinker doesn't work and induces very very quick clicks inside the car. Not sure what causes this.
Right signal works fine.
Dome light is VERY bright. I was looking right at it when I turned it on, as I was sure it wasn't working (It has a "on/off" slider on itself, plus the dash button)
All bus doors sound the same when you close them. Sounds exactly like when I'd close the door on my mom's old bus.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Oh, also I haven't checked my fuses yet - probably a couple down. Gotta figure I'm only just getting around to this stuff since I got the starter! Without it I was at a bit of a stand-still as far as engine goes - and I wanted to get it running first if I could, since it looks so good.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Sucess! After using the "Push backward in 3rd gear" trick, the starter unstuck and tried to turn over the engine! Only issue is it's stuck every time I try. If it doesn't start the engine, and I let it off, it's stuck and I have to redo it. What can I try now?
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pics for you guys. The air cleaner is off as I tried a bit of starting fluid. My guess is spark right now - which I'll look into tomorrow. I definitely have gas, and air. Though that thing on the carb looks messed up - not sure what it is?

I also included a pic of that weird wire on the bat positive.

I changed the spark plugs when I first got her but haven't done the timing yet, which will be my first attack tomorrow. The points are definitely good, and the cap/plugs look okay, so I think I'm good there. I'll probably replace the cap and rotor anyways as I have new ones.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Where does this wire go to?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

It comes off the pos cable, and splices in it as far as I remember (i'll check in a bit when I'm awake.) My mother had said something about her old battery having a tab on it that this connected into, or something similar? She mentioned this when I first got the bus so not 100% now.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

It comes off the pos cable, and splices in it as far as I remember (i'll check in a bit when I'm awake.) My mother had said something about her old battery having a tab on it that this connected into, or something similar? She mentioned this when I first got the bus so not 100% now.

So it came from the positive battery terminal and went straight back into the battery?

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

So it came from the positive battery terminal and went straight back into the battery?

Just checked - it and some black, capped off wires come off the battery terminal, but no it doesn't go to the battery. I'm using my Type 3's battery as of right now, so maybe a different battery would have tabs. They werent connected to anything when I bought her, hence the confusion.

On the upside... she runs! I messed with the timing a bit and she fired up! She smokes a good amount, probably from sitting plus the fact her exhaust is practically falling apart, but she runs! Happy days!

Looking at the brakes it looks like I might need a new master, that might be what's leaking. I bought extra brake fluid I'll throw in her to see if I can't spot the leak, but it must have been a slow leak as it was totally fine last time I put fluid in, then in the morning was drained entirely.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

It sounds like those wires could have been for a starter relay or some other PO hack. If you had extra wires going from the battery to the starter it would just reduce the resistance on the battery cables... It just doesn't make sense to me. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding where these wires should be going.

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
It sounds like those wires could have been for a starter relay or some other PO hack. If you had extra wires going from the battery to the starter it would just reduce the resistance on the battery cables... It just doesn't make sense to me. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding where these wires should be going.

I had thought maybe the secondary battery (can't remember what people call them - the ones that are just used for accessories) - maybe hooked to it somehow, but I have no accessories, since this is a panel, and the only thing in the back was the transporter seat.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

New exhaust installed, though it was a bit difficult. Re-used the exhaust off the parts Type 3 (in good condition, don't worry!) and a header my boss gave me. I REALLY was hoping the tuck-in exhaust I had would fit - but it hits part of the frame, so it doesn't fit. I'm looking to sell it if anyone needs it!

Still having sticky starter on and off, hopefully just needs broken in a bit.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

So I think I asked before about lowering here, but are there any spindles that let me keep Wide 5 but not modify the other bits of the suspension?

I saw a decently priced pair on here today that sounded like I'd not need to modify the suspension, but requires the narrow 5 + '73 brake parts.

If not - any other options, or good suggestions for spindles for what I'd like? I know you can't have everything sometimes which is fine - but in the end I'd prefer to keep the wide 5 at least. I can't afford new tires and rims! Razz
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Hia, everyone! Big news! Frau, the official name for the bus now, has been titled, plated and registered. She drives great! Very loud exhaust (love it) but she still has the starter clunk issue. It's a brand new starter, but won't go once I've stopped somewhere. I have to roller her backward still. Any advice?
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Meine Frau is running and driving me to work while Blue is down, but she's a bit rough and it seems she's a bit of a leak! I'm not sure where from yet, but she obviously leaks. She also runs very loud, though the exhaust is on there well. Might just be the exhaust design.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Best replace that alt. belt,looks like it's about to cause you a lot of grief.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
Best replace that alt. belt,looks like it's about to cause you a lot of grief.

Will do! I actually have like four belts. Two came with it, two NAPA sold me, unsure of which one was correct, both said 68 so.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

The crank pulley you have is not stock size,so a stock belt will be too big,my buggy has a smaller pulley like yours,it is 5.75 inch in diameter,My belt size is.11/850.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
The crank pulley you have is not stock size,so a stock belt will be too big,my buggy has a smaller pulley like yours,it is 5.75 inch in diameter,My belt size is.11/850.

Thank you, kindly! I'll see if the two belts that came with it are correct size come tomorrow. I'm very excited to be working here in the Type 2 department for a bit rather than the Type 3. Blue has been exhausting and frustrating!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Well! I went out to go pick up a spare generator belt, as I only have one spare, and the tire goes flat, and comes off the rim! I was lucky I pulled into the local car wash where I used to work, as they have air. But even my impact socket wouldn't get those damn lugs off! My previous boss had to help me use the four way to get all five lugs cracked off. In the end I got the spare on and made it to the napa. And the generator belt busted in their drive way! What a day!

On that note, who can suggest good tires for a cargo van? I'd like something aggressive looking but can hold good weight, if possible, as I'll be transporting people, parts, and tools day in and out!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Getting some General Grabber AT2s installed on Monday! 111 each form Discount Tire who had a real tough time finding the right tires for me. Wasn't planning on spending so much money but its gotta be done!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: