Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What a difference! Frau looks a lot more angry now, which fits with how loud she is! I also decided that I'll be enlarging those holes in the engine area and placing scoops over, rather than patching them up. I'll likely make the scoops myself.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Looking pretty decent. The new rubber helps a lot.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

It really does. I also got some pegboard I'll be putting up against the driver's wall once that all gets patched up, for hanging tools on and securing parts to with bungee cords n stuff. I still really hope I can find someone parting a decent T2A panel van that I can buy a wall off.
metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Looks great with the new tires. Good investment. What size are they?

Keep it up!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

metz wrote:
Looks great with the new tires. Good investment. What size are they?

Keep it up!

I wanna say 195s? They rub very slightly when you've completely cranked the steering wheel. I know my last tires were one size up from the original specs, I think at least I'll let ya know tomorrow for sure though.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

Looks like you have a pretty good oil leak going on there. Might want to clean the top of the engine up really well with degreaser and keep an eye on it to see where the leak is coming from.

Also regarding your starter issue I would almost put money on the transmission ground strap being dirty and corroded. Soak it in some baking soda water and put some vaseline or dielectric grease on the studs when you put it back on.. wouldn't hurt to do the same for your battery wires.
They can look good on the outside and be hiding a lot of corrosion.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

So I'm getting really weird light issues now. The right: brake light won't come on, blinker will, neither taillights work, the four way won't come on, the headlight gets high beam but no normal. The left: everything but the taillight and front turn signal (or at least via four-ways) works.

Oh and both reverse lights don't seem to come on? I haven't had someone to help check 100%.

The right taillight bulb holder has been really jankilly replaced and the wiring spliced into with a generic holder, which doesn't go into the housing but just sets in it on the "shelf" inside. I'll be fixing that of course, likely a big issue there.

This is all a sudden, as both headlights were working fine, both brake lights worked fine, and all the way around the flashers worked except the front left. Only thing not working was the taillights.

All the bulbs are good, so it's got to be wiring. I'll be grabbing my bentley soon to look up the wiring and whatnot, but it's just strange to happen all a sudden.
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

I think your 68 might use a similar emergency switch to this

they are apparently known for coming apart, and you have to pull the dashboard cluster out to see it. When it comes apart a lot of lights start acting really weird.
Also the ground wire at each marker light probably needs to be cleaned with scotchbrite, then tightened up. Are your bulbs new?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I think your 68 might use a similar emergency switch to this

they are apparently known for coming apart, and you have to pull the dashboard cluster out to see it. When it comes apart a lot of lights start acting really weird.
Also the ground wire at each marker light probably needs to be cleaned with scotchbrite, then tightened up. Are your bulbs new?

I'll keep it in mind and check it out tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if it is, as the wiring's all been hashed together. I want to get a new harness and redo it all when I get some cashola.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Well, I gave her another ouchie today. Oops! Backed into a sturdy mailbox at 3-5 mph. Luckily nothing bad, and the bumper needed replaced anyways. Still feel bad Embarassed
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Question unrelated to Frau, can Corvair transmissions be placed in an early bay? I know the engines can go straight on a VW trans, but not sure on the trans setups.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Had time and light after work today, so I decided to try wet sanding Frau's orange paint off one of the panels, and I gotta say her blue looks beautiful underneath! I want to maybe take as much as I can down to blue until I can get her painted black. No pics right now, phone's broke, but I'll get one up ASAP!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Question unrelated to Frau, can Corvair transmissions be placed in an early bay? I know the engines can go straight on a VW trans, but not sure on the trans setups.

You may be wrong on both counts. I don't know for sure, but I thought that
an adapter plate was needed between VW/Corvair, and the Chevy engine turns the reverse of VW.
72 Baja
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

You may be wrong on both counts. I don't know for sure, but I thought that
an adapter plate was needed between VW/Corvair, and the Chevy engine turns the reverse of VW.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the adapter plate. I did know it turns in reverse though, so you need to switch around a ring or something in the trans is all I remember.

My neighbor has a good running but crap body Corvair that he doesn't want anymore.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Sounds familiar, flip the ring and pinion gears.
If the motor is in need of a rebuild a reverse camshaft is the answer. I wonder how readily available those are these days.
If I had that engine, I certainly would be searching here and elsewhere for info on the swap. I wonder if qualiity parts are more easily available than for ACVWs?
72 Baja
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Sounds familiar, flip the ring and pinion gears.
If the motor is in need of a rebuild a reverse camshaft is the answer. I wonder how readily available those are these days.
If I had that engine, I certainly would be searching here and elsewhere for info on the swap. I wonder if qualiity parts are more easily available than for ACVWs?

That's what I was wondering, too, I'd assume it's not impossible to find but not as ready as a VW. They're not super popular cars and got a bad name for themselves at some point. It'd be interesting to do, though.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Well, she's down for the count until I can afford a new harness and the time to put it in. In the mean time, I'm working on Eiche (see my signature for the beetle!) and Blue is still going strong.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Well, she's down for the count until I can afford a new harness and the time to put it in. In the mean time, I'm working on Eiche (see my signature for the beetle!) and Blue is still going strong.

electrical fire?

Unless the harness is damaged, why replace it?

My 1968 Campmobile
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

electrical fire?

Unless the harness is damaged, why replace it?

No, just the many PO's have added their "customizations" to the wiring. She shorts out somewhere for all the lights, the battery won't stay charged, and the starter occasionally won't be getting enough power to go. They've spliced wires, added things, and completely replaced one of the tail lights with a completely WRONG bulb holder. It'd be best to replace it all in the first place.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Righty! Getting the new wiring harness tomorrow. What do I all have to hook up and do for a panel van?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: