Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Righty! Getting the new wiring harness tomorrow. What do I all have to hook up and do for a panel van?

The same stuff as every other van.

See here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

So, went to look at wiring and whatnot before going and getting the harness tomorrow (too busy last week, didn't make it to DIP before 4), think I embarrassingly figured out why the battery wouldn't charge. That extra wire off the battery cable that I originally asked about goes to the voltage regulator, plus the green wire for the generator wasn't plugged in (probably fell off, actually, as it was pulled back there and very close.)

I'll figure out come tomorrow if she'll charge or not. However, still getting a harness for the lights and whatnot being messed up.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Well, she seems to be good - however I'm having issues wherein she's leaking oil like a mofo from the front (toward front of car) of the engine. Maybe I need some thicker oil now that summer is coming around, but I have a feeling she needs her seal changed.

She also seems to hold a charge now, but since Blue is down for the count I'm carrying his battery around with me, too.

I got a new belt that fits well, if not just a little bit loose with no shims. What's the 100% correct stock size belt for a 68? My pulley is different but isn't a Power Pulley as I thought it was

I also fixed the lights, everything except the turn signals. They're shorting somewhere and the front left won't work, however the rest will either blink quickly or stay on entirely, you can hear the "blinking" inside the car going nuts when you turn one on. Turns out the fix was the fuse for the lights fell out Embarassed still going to get a new harness installed, however with the lights working it's not a major issue right now. I'm going to put the money toward getting Blue back on track, starting with cylinders and pistons come this next cheque.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Having issues - still have that biiiiig leak at the front (front of car) of the engine. I also realized the oil is super thin, which made me think "I'm still running winter oil!" 5W30. I'm going to kick that up to 10W40 and see if that fixes the leak, as it may just be super thin. Once I've parked for a second the leak comes to a stop quickly, and still leaves oil in the car. It's either that or the seal, as far as I can guess. If y'all got suggestions let me know.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Having issues - still have that biiiiig leak at the front (front of car) of the engine. I also realized the oil is super thin, which made me think "I'm still running winter oil!" 5W30. I'm going to kick that up to 10W40 and see if that fixes the leak, as it may just be super thin. Once I've parked for a second the leak comes to a stop quickly, and still leaves oil in the car. It's either that or the seal, as far as I can guess. If y'all got suggestions let me know.

Get a friend, drop the engine and change the seal(s) required. If it is the back of the engine it is either the rear seal or the plugs. Good luck

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Getting to removing the Orange paint down to the blue with a lot of wet sanding, mostly for fun! There's a lot of bondo on the car but that's OK.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Going well, though! Slow but well.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072

Good luck
Tcash
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072

Good luck
Tcash

I had seen this a couple times and was afraid the stronger stuff would affect the under paint, as there's a blue re-paint over some parts of the the OG blue which I'd rather keep, as it's likely hiding more bondo work, and at the same time I was afraid the lighter stuff might not work. After working on this stuff for a while I'm tempted to try the graffiti remover as it's pretty junky paint (another reason I was afraid of the strong stuff.)

The wetsanding does work well and it comes out smooth as a baby's bottom, just a tad slow. Good for the hot days where I've got a few hours to play with water outside.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Well we made it to Washington and back for the Avery's meet this weekend! Lots of fun, hope some of you were there! I did however need about 6qts of oil for the trip, as she still leaks like a mofo. A 4 day weekend is coming up and I'll likely tear out the engine and do every seal I can and look at whatever I can. She's a trooper!

I did notice she's kinda squealy since we got back, however. Low RPM mostly in any gear, on the clutch or not.

Also - is there any way to tell what company may have owned my panel van, if one did, prior besides a defining side logo? I've discovered stripes along the whole car, and am yet to find what is on the doors. There may be flames there or there may be a design - I'm not 100% sure yet as I've not taken down all the paint. I'm hoping if there was a logo it was on the doors or something, as it's not on the upper rear panels, the slider has been replaced, and the other wall obviously has a window and a ton of bondo in it.

Oh, and today after a big bump, the spot welds connecting my window to the winder broke. Luckily the window was already down, so it didn't shatter or get damaged, but I can't roll my window up now. Fun stuff! I'll get it fixed tomorrow at work.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Oil cooler seals T2
Good luck
Tcash
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Got the engine dropped Friday and having it rebuilt by a friend. Also picking up a few runners this weekend - one with a Rajay turbo, 44 carb, and some other nice stuff that will probably be set aside for later use.

Right now I'm down to mom's truck for a car, but by the end of the week I'll have a much better engine!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Right - engine's back in, turns, gets fuel, gets air, gets spark - but it won't start. Firing order is good, the timing is weird but seems to be on point, and the plugs are new. Wiring is right. I can't figure it out for the life of me. For one her timing seems to be backward - when the #1 is TDC, and I've got the timing where it tells me to put it for that, it won't do much but maybe one big backfire every time I try to start it. Reversing the plugs though, so the order is ligned up with an opposite firing order, results in somewhat of a putter, like it's really trying to start but just won't.

Anyone got advice? I've been working on this for 6-7hrs this morning. Good thing work is understanding... Embarassed
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Finding TDC #1/ Installing Drive Gear and Dist.

How to static time the engine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=787INwvir24
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Make sure when youre at tdc, that the rotor points to #1. Then set up your 1-4-3-2. Sometimes you can't trust things.

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

That's just the thing - timing is on point, everything just should work. Everything is perfect but just doesn't work. My builder can't even figure it out - but says its happened once to him before and he needs to talk to the guy that taught him, who fixed it before and never told him how.

We'll see how it goes - if need be another engine build will have to happen.

I do have access to a 1641 Turbo now so... Wheelies?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

You say timing is on, got spark, fuel, plug wires are on right. Did you go back over the valve adjustment? Change the plugs.
Would you mind explaining what steps you took to come to these conclusions.

The first thing I do when I have a cranks but won't start.
Cranks Won't Start Test

If everything else fails. Check cam timing. The cam may have been dropped in wrong, or bolted on wrong (might be possible with a slotted cam gear). You should be able to see the cam timing with the oil pump pulled.

Good Luck
Tcash
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
You say timing is on, got spark, fuel, plug wires are on right. Did you go back over the valve adjustment? Change the plugs.
Would you mind explaining what steps you took to come to these conclusions.

The first thing I do when I have a cranks but won't start.
Cranks Won't Start Test

If everything else fails. Check cam timing. The cam may have been dropped in wrong, or bolted on wrong (might be possible with a slotted cam gear). You should be able to see the cam timing with the oil pump pulled.

Good Luck
Tcash

We're checking valves tomorrow - got dark and didn't have feeler gauges on me in the first place.

Coming to conclusions were: checking spark plugs for wetnes from fuel, checking down the carb for fuel, checking the points made spark when the key was on and crank hand turned, checked wires to dizzy cap and to all four plugs made spark when trying to start, checked plug gaps, checked points gap (vaguely, again no feeler gauges, used the dizzy cap box as I've been told is around the right size), made sure the dizzy wasn't somehow 180, checked wiring to coil/carb/black wire/dizzy was correct, made sure grounds look nice, and checked timing via finger down spark plug hole and rotate + via the valves.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Put the battery on a battery charger!

We're checking valves tomorrow - got dark and didn't have feeler gauges on me in the first place.
-If none r tight it should be alright to start. Click click...

Coming to conclusions were:
checking spark plugs for wetnes from fuel, checking down the carb for fuel,
-Give it a shot of starter fluid or pour a couple of tea spoons of gas down the carb's...

checking the points made spark when the key was on and crank hand turned,
-Ok?...

checked wires to dizzy cap and to all four plugs made spark when trying to start,
-What color was the spark. It needs to be blue yellow. Orange is too weak...

checked plug gaps,
-Ok, what is the plug number. clean the plugs, they can look ok but be fouled. Better yet for now replace them. Would not be the first time the plugs where fouled trying to start a fresh motor...

checked points gap (vaguely, again no feeler gauges, used the dizzy cap box as I've been told is around the right size),
-Ok, I used a matchbook cover for years...

checked wiring to coil/carb/black wire/dizzy was correct, made sure grounds look nice,
-Ignition wire on #15 +
Dizzy wire on #1 -
If coil has no markings

Also you need to have at least 9.5v on #15 + while the engine is cranking, or it won't start...

and checked timing via finger down spark plug hole and rotate + via the valves.
-Finger down #1 (right front) spark plug hole turning pulley clockwise and both valves closed on that cylinder. Timming mark on pulley lined up with case parting line...

made sure the dizzy wasn't somehow 180,
-If you have an 009 dizzy. Chances are it is 180* out.
Now you have the engine on TDC #1 comp stroke.
Watch this video again and static time the engine.l
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=787INwvir24
Now put the #1 spark plug wire in the hole in the dist. Cap that the rotor is pointing to.
As suggested triple check the firing order 1432...

Don't get hung up on where #1 is. #1 for your engine is where the rotor is pointing, when the engine is on #1 tdc comp. stroke.

Give it a shot of gas and fire it up.

Good luck
Tcash
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Right - progress!
I got it started twice, but only just barely. It wouldn't idle and would slowly rev when given gas. Very low power. Strangely, I knocked the #2 plug off while moving the dizzy when it was on - and when it got more RPM when the wire was close to the cap but not quite in yet. Not sure what this signifies.

It's an 009, which I only figured out today that the rotor position is often opposite on (or so I'm told.) When facing the #3 cylinder, that seems to be TDC, but when I checked, facing the #2 cylinder was almost positively the TDC - the piston was upward, the valves looked right, everything. I may be crazy and inexperienced, though, we'll find out tomorrow.

Getting it running took cranking it, getting it to putter just a bit again, then letting go of the key and holding down the gas to get it to barely putter to life. If no gas held, no start.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

[quote="KollynnBlackpaw"]Right - progress!
I got it started twice, but only just barely. It wouldn't idle and would slowly rev when given gas. Very low power. Strangely, I knocked the #2 plug off while moving the dizzy when it was on - and when it got more RPM when the wire was close to the cap but not quite in yet. Not sure what this signifies.
-That could mean your plugs are fouled. We used to do that on dirt bikes to clear a fouling plug.Change the plugs to eleminate them as being the problem...

It's an 009, which I only figured out today that the rotor position is often opposite on (or so I'm told.) When facing the #3 cylinder, that seems to be TDC, but when I checked, facing the #2 cylinder was almost positively the TDC - the piston was upward, the valves looked right, everything. I may be crazy and inexperienced, though, we'll find out tomorrow.
-Ok, finding tdc might not work for you. Keeping the wires in the correct firing order 1432. Play Ring Around The Roseis with the plug wires. Have some one crank it while you turn the dist...

Getting it running took cranking it, getting it to putter just a bit again, then letting go of the key and holding down the gas to get it to barely putter to life. If no gas held, no start.
-holding the gas pedal to the floor indicates a flooded engine. If the engine is in the bus and the carb needle and seat are leaking or the float is stuck. The gas tank can gravity drain past the carb and into the engine case. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil. If it smells like gas. Fix the carb and change the oil...

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: