Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
It has left the building in muuuuch better shape than when it entered.
You did some very good work to it. Take pride in that.

Thank you, I do appreciate it. I will miss it but it was becoming a money pit, and I just don't have money to feed it to break the curse that's on it. Plus the kid let me keep my 600$ tires!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

It has left the building in muuuuch better shape than when it entered.
You did some very good work to it. Take pride in that.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

It's official - the bus has left the building. Good riddance!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

And now the clutch sounds to have gone out. Gah. Can't be bothered with her right now. I just picked up my new square, however, and am very excited. Check out my topics to go see!

She's up for sale now, we'll see if anyone grabs her or not.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Alright - trans sound is gone. Took some driving around to get the sound to disappear. Still not sure if the charging system is quite working, might also be the battery.

After I pick up this next squareback I'm going to get a carpet kit for it, and possibly front upholstery. I'm going back to the original upholstery, the blue.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

So - not the bearing. Worrying. She starts again but same as prior to installing new bearing, you get a groan on clutch or at higher revs. Uhg....
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Got the replacement bearing, going in tomorrow, but I've also gotten quite an offer for my bus +1500. Anyone want to take guesses what it is? I'll give a hint.

I definitely cannot afford, or find, parts for it. And it's a VW.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

When tightening the belt, make sure to tighten it, turn it over a time or two then re-torque. do this a few times. I have a crappy aftermarket alternator so I use my Impact drill Rolling Eyes it works great.

Hm, I have an impact drill, too! Twisted Evil Maybe we'll try that today!

Don't break anything. And if you do, it wasn't my suggestion lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Uhhhg - one step forward two steps back. Sounds like the throwout bearing has gone. Hitting the clutch or coasting when driving gives me some loud groans. We're seeing about getting it fixed tomorrow or something, but this bus is just so infuriating. Still love her!
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

When tightening the belt, make sure to tighten it, turn it over a time or two then re-torque. do this a few times. I have a crappy aftermarket alternator so I use my Impact drill Rolling Eyes it works great.

Hm, I have an impact drill, too! Twisted Evil Maybe we'll try that today!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Alright, we're *kinda* back on track - so she runs great now. had to retard the timing quite a bit, and I did a bit of a sin - the 3 and 4 got swapped at some point when doing timing probably. So that didn't help. But now the only issues are charging and the fan belt keeps coming off.

Charging - issue started after a new connector was put on by me, connector came off wire, wire shorted on the regulator. Wire fried, we put new wire on, new connector, havent swapped regulator. Suspect regulator (obviously,) waiting on another regulator (same, old type, not new,) or can they be rebuilt?

Belt - I swear this thing is cursed. The pulley faceplate came off the generator for the 5th or 6th time - luckily in parking lot of my work place not but .5mi away. Co worker grabbed the plate and hopefully he finds the belt too, cause they're kinda expensive. Shimmed at 3-4, tightened as a mother flipper. Belt has a small amount of play so it's not *too* tight, but the belt is tight alright.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Alright, we're *kinda* back on track - so she runs great now. had to retard the timing quite a bit, and I did a bit of a sin - the 3 and 4 got swapped at some point when doing timing probably. So that didn't help. But now the only issues are charging and the fan belt keeps coming off.

Charging - issue started after a new connector was put on by me, connector came off wire, wire shorted on the regulator. Wire fried, we put new wire on, new connector, havent swapped regulator. Suspect regulator (obviously,) waiting on another regulator (same, old type, not new,) or can they be rebuilt?

Belt - I swear this thing is cursed. The pulley faceplate came off the generator for the 5th or 6th time - luckily in parking lot of my work place not but .5mi away. Co worker grabbed the plate and hopefully he finds the belt too, cause they're kinda expensive. Shimmed at 3-4, tightened as a mother flipper. Belt has a small amount of play so it's not *too* tight, but the belt is tight alright.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Alright - I'm back to square one again. It's just low power and sounds like a leafblower. Starts up again, battery charges, etc, but still no power.

What have you done to get to this point? What was your full tuneup? Did you run compression tests? Leak down test? do you have a timing gun? Bring us up to date with some pictures and a re-cap please.

Compression is perfect across the board, 100-110 on all cylinders, I've not done the leak down test as I've not got a tester for it, no timing gun. Fuel tuneup is about 3 turns on the small screw, around 4 on the big to get it to idle without dying.

I've tuned the carb multiple times both to stock settings and the current ones, valves multiple times, the fuel hose is new, which was just a part of the rebuild anyways, checked for air leaks (none found,) and done timing thoroughly multiple times, always ending up in the same spot just so it won't die at idle.

What do we know about the engine? Is this a stock Mexican engine? 1600dp? and what carb is that? 30/31? I timing gun may be worth the investment, it'll make timing a heck of a lot easier, not to mention accurate because you'll time at full advance not at idle. Have you pulled the plugs and check those yet? Make sure they aren't fouled? Have you rebuilt the old carburetor that is on the engine? junk in your carb would cause this kind of behavior as well.

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
KollynnBlackpaw wrote:
Alright - I'm back to square one again. It's just low power and sounds like a leafblower. Starts up again, battery charges, etc, but still no power.

What have you done to get to this point? What was your full tuneup? Did you run compression tests? Leak down test? do you have a timing gun? Bring us up to date with some pictures and a re-cap please.

Compression is perfect across the board, 100-110 on all cylinders, I've not done the leak down test as I've not got a tester for it, no timing gun. Fuel tuneup is about 3 turns on the small screw, around 4 on the big to get it to idle without dying.

I've tuned the carb multiple times both to stock settings and the current ones, valves multiple times, the fuel hose is new, which was just a part of the rebuild anyways, checked for air leaks (none found,) and done timing thoroughly multiple times, always ending up in the same spot just so it won't die at idle.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw wrote:

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Anyone want to buy a cursed bus?

I swear this thing just won't give me anything. I've messed with everything and nothing will just work.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

I did also notice the fuel gauge no longer works. Occasionally if I tap it it'll go up a tiny bit, but not far.
KollynnBlackpaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Timing had no effect and I still get a good squirt of gas when pulling the throttle. Would either be causing it to run so funky sounding? I also checked for leaks and didn't find any.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Unnamed 68 Panel Bus project Reply with quote

Or check your accelerator pump on the carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: