Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

removing exterior paint
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: removing exterior paint Reply with quote

Thinking it is time for a repaint of my 69 DOKA. I was painted in the Philippines in the late 80s over the original paint. the paint is starting to check. Is there a way to remove the paint with out screwing up the original paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: removing exterior paint Reply with quote

There might be better information and response in the paint and body forum...

My 1973 bus had a rattle can paint job. Your re-paint might be way harder to to remove, and I have been lucky because the rattle can crap does not take much to remove.

Working from bottom up, I use a squirt bottle of roughly 3 parts lacquer thinner and one part mineral spirits to slow the evaporation. I use a 3M green scouring pad in 10-12 inch circular patterns. When the shit paint loosens up and starts to fill the pad, I hit both the pad and the bus with more lacquer thinner blend. This flushes all the soup down to the ground.

I clean it all up with a heavy solution of TSP and water. Then go back and do the spots I missed. Then I move upwards to the next area and the process starts over. In the end, I use two applications of rubbing compound and pad, then two coats of hand rubbed wax.

Here is the front clip; the driver side of the bus is not yet done:

Here is some progress from last year: the spot on the slider was a test area, and the lower rear quarter panel is actually a repaint from when I welded in a new battery tray. M-plate color specifies Orient Blue...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: removing exterior paint Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76072

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
LouFilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: removing exterior paint Reply with quote

It's going to be dependent on what was painted on top and how good the original paint is underneath. I stripped the inside of my '78 back to the original Green, but the exterior has too much wear to properly strip backwards and look good.

You are just going to have to try a variety of things to get it to work. I started with lacquer thinner, then acetone, then easy off (the picture is the blue can, but use the yellow stuff), then the graffiti remover, and finally the actual paint stripper.

I found that leaving the paint stripper on for 7 minutes, cleaning, then detailing with acetone, and finally polishing gave me great results. If I have time I'll upload a finished picture to my gallery, but it looks great There are a few pics of the process in my gallery of you want to look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: