Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter will not disengage...1970 Early T2 1600
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
h2opx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Starter will not disengage...1970 Early T2 1600 Reply with quote

Ok, this is an odd one.
Starter will not disengage after you got from Start to Run at the ignition switch. This is a new thing. Backstory...As part of my restoration, I've replaced the entire wiring harness, the starter, the ignition switch all in the course of getting things road worthy.
Nothing like this happened before...
Now, new motor is in and this happens. I've done some initial trouble shooting. I've disconnected the +battery connection from the terminal post on the starter (keeping it in line with the wire leading up to the dash) and tried to start it...looking for the solenoid to trigger...and the reset when going from Start to Run from the ignition. At it did. So I should be able to eliminate the wiring from the ignition, and the switch. Reconnect power back to the started...problem comes back...continuous voltage applied back to the solenoid...and the starter stays engaged to the flywheel...and stays EVEN after you go from Run to Off at the ignition. Meaning its still trying to crank the engine at this point.

Thinking there might be an issue with the solenoid getting some sort of feedback power from the starter while its still engaged. And not knowing for sure if the starter is still engaged with the flywheel when I've got the engine stopped, I've "rolled" the bus back and forth while in Reverse to attempt moving the flywheel enough to break what might be a friction connection with the starter. That seemed to do the trick this morning. Started right up, and the started disengaged...so all normal, right? Nope.

After about an hour at home, go to start it...problem is back.

Notes:" New Starter is not a rebuilt. Its a brand new Bosch. It maybe has 30 - 40 starts on it.

I'm kinda at a loss. Switch meters out to be good (when no batter power is connected to the terminal posts of the starter). But as soon as you reconnect power to the starter and try and start...solenoid continues to fire and starter star engaged. Only way you stop it is I have to literally remove the + from the battery.

thoughts or ideas??
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Starter will not disengage...1970 Early T2 1600 Reply with quote

Crimp a spade terminal onto ~ 4' of 14 ga wire, connect the spade to the terminal on the starter (remove the one from the harness) and feed the other end through the firewall to near the battery. Start the bus by touching the wire to the + terminal on the battery (brake on and in neutral of course), if the same phenomenon occurs it's the starter that's to blame.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starter will not disengage...1970 Early T2 1600 Reply with quote

The solenoid plunger is being held in its "closed" position for some reason. This could be a mechanical
problem with the plunger/spring or linkage. It could also be an electrical deal, because the correct operation
of the solenoid's pull-in and holding windings depend on a good ground connection.

So, to start with the easiest stuff, make sure there's good solenoid-to-starter, starter-to-trans-case,
trans-case-to-frame, and frame-to-battery-neg-post ground connections.

If that does nothing, you might have to remove and disassemble the solenoid to see what's up. Or just
replace it.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
h2opx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Starter will not disengage...1970 Early T2 1600 Reply with quote

Thank you all. I did everything prudent and reasonable to troubleshoot. Its a faulty starter. It was new, so easily replaced.

Starts up like a champ now now. Confidence restored!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: