Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello, New here
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Hello, New here Reply with quote

I am not new to vw's but i am new to aircooled. I found a 1970 fastback that was buried in a barn since 1985 so i brought it home. I have no idea what i'm going to do with it yet but here she is.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

Welcome! Best place for Type 3 info here.

I know one thing you will do with it... replace the heater channels and nearby outer sheet metal. That rust under the doors will need serious attention with a welder. The silver lining on that cloud is that the rest of the body looks pretty good... I don't see rust at the bottom of the A-pillar or at the middle of the C-pillar.
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

I don't have room in the garage right now so i can't really tear into it but the rockers are the worst part i've come across so far. first thing i have to do is go through some of my old vw keys and see if any will work in the ignition lol
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

Once the rust is addressed, you will want to find all the missing parts. Best source is the Samba classifieds, or for new rubber and other parts, you can't beat ISPwest.
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

Ha, I was just going to ask about parts. the dash pad is cracked in a few spots and the rubber on the car is surprisingly still soft and pliable but will need replacing.
Thank you
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

And i will not be ordering anything from isp lol. oh well, the search continues
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

Rusty in the front trunk/inner fenders? Late model usually are. Evil or Very Mad
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

paxhc wrote:

How come? For cheaper than the german rubber I find theirs to be of decent quality amongst a few other things...

I just wish somebody would make a decent type 3 front door outer scraper. everything out there is garbage... feels like plastic, not rubber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

paxhc

Congrats on selecting a coolest Type 3 (arguably) and your Fasty looks pretty straight. Now, with respect to your query. There are lots of ways for you to approach your Type 3 project. Is it a ground restoration? Patina? Concour restoration? A daily driver? All of these styles demands full attention to its roadworthiness; however, the budget has to be considered too. But one thing is certain, the engine must be in excellent shape, the braking system must be reliable too and the electrical system must dictate accuracy too. There are so many lists to consider.

Rule of thumb: Type 3 engine must have all the stock engine tins and sealing to isolate the hot air from underneath and the cool air from the inside of the engine bay. If the Type 3 engine sucks hot air, it may cause untimely engine fatigue. So check on all the engine tins and seals before you start the engine.

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Rusty in the front trunk/inner fenders? Late model usually are. Evil or Very Mad

surprisingly trunk/inner fender area is not rusty or rotted. i'll see what's hiding once i get it in the garage
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

benson_1331 wrote:
paxhc wrote:

How come? For cheaper than the german rubber I find theirs to be of decent quality amongst a few other things...

mainly because im a cheap bastard and cant pay 600 for a dash pad and 150 per door rubber. i'll figure something out
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
paxhc

Congrats on selecting a coolest Type 3 (arguably) and your Fasty looks pretty straight. Now, with respect to your query. There are lots of ways for you to approach your Type 3 project. Is it a ground restoration? Patina? Concour restoration? A daily driver? All of these styles demands full attention to its roadworthiness; however, the budget has to be considered too. But one thing is certain, the engine must be in excellent shape, the braking system must be reliable too and the electrical system must dictate accuracy too. There are so many lists to consider.

Rule of thumb: Type 3 engine must have all the stock engine tins and sealing to isolate the hot air from underneath and the cool air from the inside of the engine bay. If the Type 3 engine sucks hot air, it may cause untimely engine fatigue. So check on all the engine tins and seals before you start the engine.

DongKG

if i have the time to put into it will just be a driver, i want to enjoy the car and not worry about every little thing. before i take care of the rusted rockers i will be working on brakes/fueling/engine and suspension. looks come later
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

The rockers are just about looks... they are structural members of the frame of the car.

For the "may as well... as long as..." file:

One reason rockers rust out is leakage through window glass, even if it looks decent from the outside. Replacing the window rubber, especially the windshield rubber, will avoid your new work being ruined in a few years. But then you will have to pull it out to re-do the headliner (if it needs that). And at that point you will replace all the other window rubber, including bitchin' new pop-out seals from ISPwest...

Of course, that little leak in the trunk needs attention first... Wink
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

paxhc wrote:
benson_1331 wrote:
paxhc wrote:

mainly because im a cheap bastard and cant pay 600 for a dash pad and 150 per door rubber. i'll figure something out

Then pay another $200 for shipping! d'oh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The rockers aren't just about looks... they are structural members of the frame of the car.

I do know that but i'm not worried about them right now. floors are 100% solid and believe it or not i stood and bounced on the rocker and they didnt budge so for right now they're fine.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

Search this forum. there are dash pads being made by another party. Not covers, replacement pads.

A poor quality rubber can be very expensive. I mean a poor quality door rubber. Wink

At least make sure your door drains (at the bottom of the door) are unblocked so it won't drip into the car. They are usually closed off with dirt.
paxhc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Search this forum. there are dash pads being made by another party. Not covers, replacement pads.

A poor quality rubber can be very expensive. I mean a poor quality door rubber. Wink

At least make sure your door drains (at the bottom of the door) are unblocked so it won't drip into the car. They are usually closed off with dirt.

Thanks, I appreciate all the info. i'll look into those dash pads. This car hasn't seen rain since 1985 so it'll be interesting to see what leaks and what doesn't. I might have to cover it until i can pull it inside. stupid mk4 is taking up the extra space right now.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

paxhc wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate all the info. i'll look into those dash pads. This car hasn't seen rain since 1985 so it'll be interesting to see what leaks and what doesn't. I might have to cover it until i can pull it inside. stupid mk4 is taking up the extra space right now.

Before doing anything, I'd replace the fuel hoses. After that look into replacing the brake hoses. That way once it starts and runs, it'll stop. Look in the classifieds for parts. Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) in Washington state has parts for sale at decent prices.
Take your time and don't get into a hurry, as getting into a hurry just causes you to spend more for parts. Test parts before replacing them.
There used to be a link on "returning non-operation cars that had been sitting to being used again", but the link seems to have disappeared out of the sticky section. But a little searching of the forum can get you the answers you're looking for. Very Happy
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

Here you go:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello, New here Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Here you go:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624072

Thanks Phil.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: