Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

Happy post New Year greetings to all our fellow Thing Faithfuls out there! This post concerns stock (original) Thing transmission gear ratios vice Type 1 Bug tranny ratios. I had my complete engine/transmission power package rebuilt and if I am not mistaken, the transmission it had in it was either rebuilt to match the specs of the gears being replaced, OR was replaced by a similar unit with the same gear ratios.

My state of bemusement, after operating my Thing on the highway is that it seems to prefer a maximum 'comfortable' highway cruise of about 55 mph. At that speed, engine RPMs are in the vicinity of about 4000. Taking it up to 60 or 65 results in a much higher engine RPM. So, it seems to 'like' a cruise speed of about 55 or so after the rebuild.

As anyone knows who travels on our major California freeways, speed-crazed idiots in steroid-hopped-up cars can be rather intimidating to mild-mannered Thing operators (like moi). I just want to be able to keep up reasonably with the bigger dogs out there (i.e. 65 or so), without busting my Thing's engine from overwork.

[Since I rarely take my Thing off road or use it anywhere except on streets & roads, I'd like to have a less RPM-intensive (i.e. 'higher') cruise speed (ideally about 65, so that I can use it on the freeway without undue worry about an unplanned-for Mack Truck enema, LoL). Laughing ]

This suggests to me that I need a higher final drive gear ratio at the very least, which probably means another tranny transplant using a standard Beetle unit. Any observations, comments and/or experience from the membership on solutions leading to higher freeway speeds for a Thing equipped with a stock 181 tranny? Vielen Dank. Things uber Alles.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

What is your rear tire size and do you have reduction boxes or just an IRS tranny?

There is a caluculator somewhere where you jack up the rear end of your car and put it in 4th gear and turn your crankshaft and count the number of turns your tire make to determine your final gearing.

With my 205/70/15 and stock geared tranny (4.125 R&P, 3.78, 2.06, 1.26, .89), I can cruse at approx 75mph at approx 3.5k rpm and 80 at approx 4k rpm.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

That's very helpful information. I hadn't thought of increasing the tire size, but it's certainly one way to go about it w/o changing anything mechanical Except the wheels & tyres). I don't have the gear-reduction boxes...just the straight swing-axle. My Thing is a 1973 Hecho en Mexico unit.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7908377

Figure out what ring and pinion you have then change your tire size and go from there.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

Thanks for that steer to the other thread. Lots of valuable information there. One of the excellent benefits of SAMBA's storehouse of data, experience and shared investigations into the mysteries of our Volksies. Green 181 Orange 181 Yellow 181

citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

maybe this will help I have a 73 thing with a 1969 stock bug transmission 165 x 15 tires and I did not like the Thing transmission this is the speed and rpm I do have porsche guages in my Thing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

Once you have your ring and pinion and gear ratios and tire height then you can use the gear ratio calcluator to check what your RPMs and speed will be....it may help you decide on tire height or gearing.

http://www.cbperformance.com/CB-Performance-Calculators-s/153.htm
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

More great information! Thanks much, folks. Need to start following-up some of those leads and crunching some numbers! The CB Performance calculators are especially useful in this application. Surprised

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

I am very happy with my '73 Thing's transmission, the gear set is definitely longer than the stock Thing tranny in forth gear because cruising at 65-75 is no problem at all. The lower gears seem plenty low enough for the bit of rough road use I give it. To the best of my knowledge the engine is just a fairly stock 1600, though I suspect the cam is just a bit more aggressive than stock.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

Well, respective of Wildthings' comment and the others expressed on ratio-based tire selection, I'll probably end up getting a stock bug tranny anyway (in addition to possible tire upgrades), since like so many of us...I have this uncontrollable URGE to invest money in my toys. Shocked

MUST...SPEND...MONEY! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

Are you in fourth going that speed in all of those pictures?
Anyway that you can edit them to say which transmission and what gear you're in for each picture?
do you have any clue what the numbers off of the beetle transmission are?

I've got a 71 super trans and a 72 fasty trans and they both seem to be super close to the stock AV thing trans in mine

Anyone know gear set for AH thing trans?
Or Anything about the couple trans' that were in them?

My trans pops 1st gear and I have both trans' for replacements.. I would think the 72 T3 would be pushing the same as a tging trans and I can drive them 70-75 all day with 175/55/16 fronts and 205/55 rears

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thing versus Bug tranny gear ratios... Reply with quote

sharkskinman wrote:
Are you in fourth going that speed in all of those pictures?
Anyway that you can edit them to say which transmission and what gear you're in for each picture?
do you have any clue what the numbers off of the beetle transmission are? I know that the last 3 I was in 4th that was a long time ago because I have 34000 miles on my Thing now. I have a 69 bug transmission in mine now and the rpm is the same time. I really like the 69 transmission

I've got a 71 super trans and a 72 fasty trans and they both seem to be super close to the stock AV thing trans in mine

Anyone know gear set for AH thing trans?
Or Anything about the couple trans' that were in them?

My trans pops 1st gear and I have both trans' for replacements.. I would think the 72 T3 would be pushing the same as a tging trans and I can drive them 70-75 all day with 175/55/16 fronts and 205/55 rears
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: