Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Check
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark.konney@alliedprintin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Brake Check Reply with quote

Morning!

I'm going to be checking the brakes on all 4 wheels of the buggy we just got.
The VIN comes back as a 1960.

I purchased a 3/4 drive breaker bar and 36mm scocket to remove the castle nut on the rear.

What is this tab that sticks out of the drum? Do I have to do something with it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is removing the drums a pretty straight foward job as compared to other cars? Loosen the adjusting star and pull off the drum?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

That tab holds a oil slinger. The oil slinger was used on these older models because at some point the oil was going to seep out and the slinger keeps it off of the brakes.

Yes, back off the shoes and pull the drum after removing the castle nut.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Glad that question was asked I was wondering the same thing on my Sportster Thanks Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

One other question....

I (my wife) would like to put Cragars on at some time. Can this type / year drum be purchased drilled for both VW and Chevy bolt pattern?

Thanks again!
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Make sure you understand the amount of torque that nut needs. And how much fun it is to remove.

You can get them drilled for Ford/Chevy patterns but I don't think for VW/Chevy is available.

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/ind...x4-p-13058
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Make sure you understand the amount of torque that nut needs. And how much fun it is to remove.

You can get them drilled for Ford/Chevy patterns but I don't think for VW/Chevy is available.

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/ind...x4-p-13058

At $80.00 each plus shipping you could just as well buy some rear disc brakes with E-brake and convert for a no adjust experience on rear braking.
It takes a bit to get them right but you will love rear discs.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

What folks have done for years and still do is get wheel adapters. Yeah - some of them are crappy, but there are some better ones. Obviously having the drums properly drilled is the best. Cragars on a Manx style buggy is a classic look.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

The old wide 5 drums cannot be drilled for a smaller pattern. That large raised hub doesn't leave a flat area for a smaller pattern. You can modify later drums to fit on your axles (shorten the spline length). They are a little wider and will increase track width 15mm. The later drums have a flatter center and can be drilled for (or bought pre-drilled for) most common bolt patterns. The front brakes will be harder, I'm not aware of any drums for link pin spindles that do not have the large raised hub center.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Its much much easier to remove and properly re-torque a rear brake drum with one of these

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7036

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Quote:
Its much much easier to remove and properly re-torque a rear brake drum with one of these

Agreed! Best purchase I have ever made. Unfortunately it sits idle and never used now.....Sad
Frizbal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:

Agreed! Best purchase I have ever made. Unfortunately it sits idle and never used now.....Sad

Well if you ever want to sell it, feel free to let a guy know Very Happy Wink
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

I'd love to find another original Kymco Torquemeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Wish I'd known about that tool! Looks like a life saver!

The right rear is not working at all and it seems like I really have to stand on the brakes for a hard stop.

Well the plan is to remove all four brake drums.

Check all the cylinders, look for leaks, and check the brakes themselves.

Just another item to check off before I bring it to DMV for inspection!

Then when I get it registerd I can start to think about new wheels and tires!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Big safety tip, change all rubber lines. They go bad from the inside out and can trap/block fluid.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Morning!

Okay, so right rear brake wasn't working at all during skid test in sand. I was able to remove the drum and found it's loaded with gear oil. I guess the axle seal failed.

While working on the brakes, I noticed that the bolt holding this leaf spring had worn through both shocks.... now I need new shocks!

Can someone tell me what this leaf is for? Looks like I will need to change the strap and bumper under it?

Should I keep this system?

YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

The leaf spring is a camber stiffener, it helps with swing axles to prevent over cambering.

Swing axles can have positive/negative camber, the angle of the wheel to the side of the car, when raised or lowered. If it is raised the top of the wheel will be out further than the bottom of the wheel and can be dangerous in corners. If lowered, the bottom of the wheel is out further and both cause uneven tire wear.

I've never had one and not sure of many that use them.

Depends on your driving, on or off-road. My opinion is it is not necessary.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

That style of "camber compensator" was a popular fix (?)...more.lime crutch....for swing axle cars like pre IRS VWs and Triumph Spitfires. The theory was that they would prevent the outside wheel from tucking under and rolling the car in a hard turn.
I personally think they were of dubious value. I think they are a great example of an old friend's idiom.... "nothing worse than a good salesman with a bad idea"

Two thoughts...
1...ditch it and drive sensibly.
2...switch to IRS and not worry about it.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Can somebody tell me what size rear axle seal is used in my 1960 beetle?
I removed a 43 - 62 - 10 and NAPA says it should be a 44.5 - 62 - 10

What do you think????
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Am no expert but I would say match what you have in your hand that was removed.
The vin may not match with the trans and suspension.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Well I don't understand it!!

The 44.5 - 62 - 10 replaced the 43 - 62 - 10.

Fit like a glove! Now if it only stops leaking....

Is it worth putting the oil slingers back on? Do they work?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: