Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Test fitting the lower patch panel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

That's about it for today. Time to shut it down.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Enjoying this thread. Very nice work!
Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

That looks really good. If you get a chance, could you snap a pic of the inner/outer rocker where the latch plate area is? Just a direct overhead shot of that spot would help me tremendously.

The old ruddy-primered rocker I used way back when does not have the correct offset for the latch, so my cargo doors don't close quite right. It's always bugged me, and I'm about to fix it. I have saved a hundred pics from various threads, but still don't have one that is just a straight on shot w/o the floor in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Nice progress and documentation, Skim. Good call holding off on the rocker. It needs to be straight and in line with the bottom of the doors but it is difficult to hit both of those targets as the tend to fight against one another.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

madworks wrote:
Enjoying this thread. Very nice work!

Thanks!

Z wrote:
That looks really good. If you get a chance, could you snap a pic of the inner/outer rocker where the latch plate area is? Just a direct overhead shot of that spot would help me tremendously.

The old ruddy-primered rocker I used way back when does not have the correct offset for the latch, so my cargo doors don't close quite right. It's always bugged me, and I'm about to fix it. I have saved a hundred pics from various threads, but still don't have one that is just a straight on shot w/o the floor in place.

I will do it tonight after work for you Cool

Major Woody wrote:
Nice progress and documentation, Skim. Good call holding off on the rocker. It needs to be straight and in line with the bottom of the doors but it is difficult to hit both of those targets as the tend to fight against one another.

Yes exactly. This has always been a challenging area when I read the other topics. It fits nice and snug, lets hope everything lines up pretty close, I can modify it a little.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Inspirational work, man! You always hit your projects hard but this bus is really coming along. I've become too complacent with my drivers. I need to get back on one of my projects. This thread is getting me thirsty to burn some wire!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Nice work buddy Wink
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Inspirational work, man! You always hit your projects hard but this bus is really coming along. I've become too complacent with my drivers. I need to get back on one of my projects. This thread is getting me thirsty to burn some wire!

Thanks Adam. Gotta get up that way soon. You going to Eureka?

Rich's 50 wrote:
Nice work buddy Wink

Thanks brother
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Started on the rear hinge carrier after work. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Air chisel works wonders.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Both inner and outer hinge carriers needed replaced. The right hinge was pushe in and there were pin holes along the bottom that would only get worse over time.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Air chiseled the inner from the underside of the luggage compartment

Going under the support braces

Had to remove the decklid prop mount to gain full access.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Dry fitted it in. Popped it in by hand before calling it quits for the night.

Ive still got a bit to do before welding it back in but I can have it fully knocked out after work tomorrow
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert

Last edited by Skim on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Z wrote:

Here you go Cool

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
FIVE ALIVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Looking good Bro! Im getting amped up!
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

FIVE ALIVE wrote:
Looking good Bro! Im getting amped up!

This guy lol👆🏼 Been on the samba 10 years and finally made his first post 👏🏽 Well good thing is you coming by that day and got the ball rolling. Now we gotta get your 15 window welded up!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

That's perfect! Thanks a lot...huge help.

Bonus is you doing the hinge carrier - I've never seen inside one. Mine isn't rusty, but its pushed in at one hinge. Did everyone back their bus into stuff with the engine lid open back in the day, or what?
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

Thanks Adam. Gotta get up that way soon. You going to Eureka?

Definitely! I try to never miss Eureka.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Very informative and motivating for this metal working noobie, thanks for taking the time to post pix and descriptions. I bet it feels great to keep the work moving. I'm making myself work a minimum of 15 minutes on my bus each day, even if it's just crawling around it and making mental notes. Keeps me motivated.

I saw a pix of you with my buddy Brad in Iola a few weeks back. That was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. My dad used to have a '29 Ford Pickup that we used to camp out of and do the whole long weekend.

Keep rockin' that bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: OG Paint Turkis 15 Window Deluxe. El Pavo 15 Reply with quote

Jung Restoration wrote:
Very informative and motivating for this metal working noobie, thanks for taking the time to post pix and descriptions. I bet it feels great to keep the work moving. I'm making myself work a minimum of 15 minutes on my bus each day, even if it's just crawling around it and making mental notes. Keeps me motivated.

I saw a pix of you with my buddy Brad in Iola a few weeks back. That was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. My dad used to have a '29 Ford Pickup that we used to camp out of and do the whole long weekend.

Keep rockin' that bus!

Yeah I saw Brad at his swap space in Wisconsin. We talked briefly but I had to roll. He's a cool dude. I like that show. Wish I woulda got his contact info. Is he on insta?

I realized comparing the two hinge carriers, mine that I cut off the bus is exactly 2" wide slightly wider than the new one I got which is 1" 3/4 wide so I'm like hmmm.. I already hit up Klassic Fab for another. Worst case I will have to cut it down the center and widen it a hair but I hate to do that stuff.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 63, 64, 65  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 65

Jump to: