Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seriously thinking going electric
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Passed smog today, thanks to a member here that recommended a smog station in Garden Grove, well worth the drive. Thanks Jason(jdel)

On the drive back I was thinking of how stressed my vehicle makes me with the mechanical aspect of it and having to deal with smog test every two years. If those smog station would all be on the same page, it would make the exercise better but it's not the case and I don't feel like going trough this again
I love the Vanagon, want to keep it forever but not in this state, I'll do a electric conversion, two year to do some research, saving some money and making a plan. I already started watching EV4U videos on youtube, looks straight forward at a reasonable cost, $10,000 I figure, think it would be at the same time an investment and great for the environment

Wish me luck and I'll take pictures
Marc..
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Hey, going electric was a good career move for Dylan, it should work for you, too.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Yeah...... good luck with that...... Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seriously, it's been done, but it has its limitations.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

$10k might get you the conversion kit, but have you priced batteries? Add another $25k-$30k for LiFeP power and a management system.
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
$10k might get you the conversion kit, but have you priced batteries? Add another $25k-$30k for Li-ion power and a management system.

Batteries are getting less expensive and in two years even less

At 30k a company that does conversion like EV4U will do it for you, take your vehicle apart and do the conversion

And BTW you're suppose to wish me luck Wink

Marc..
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

I wish you luck.

It will be cheaper and less trouble in a few years.

Great Dylan comment Exclamation
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
I wish you luck.

It will be cheaper and less trouble in a few years.

Great Dylan comment Exclamation

^^^ +
or. . . diesel needs no smog test (not that green though)
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

You should check out the EVTV YouTube channel, as well. They're hacking wrecked Tesla components and installing them in other vehicles, like a T3 Doka. They also take the time to show you all the components and internals of the Tesla drive unit. Fascinating stuff.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

http://media3.ev-tv.me/news050517-iPhone.mp4

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

I see. So you are just going to use it to go grocery shopping.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
I see. So you are just going to use it to go grocery shopping.

The idea that an electric vehicle is only good as a grocery getter is so 20 years ago.

However, even with lowering battery prices, $10,000 seems a bit hopeful for enough modern batteries for such a heavy vehicle.
Best of luck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

since you're in california, you could also check out fuel cells: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell_vehicle
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Why don't you spend $500 on your existing engine, then use the rest to buy either stock in Tesla or global carbon credits if you're so gung ho on saving the environment?

Your $10,000 will buy electronic components that probably put more carbon into the atmosphere to make than you will save for Mother Earth if you drive it 10,000 miles a year. Which you won't once you realize you can only drive it 134 miles between recharges. And yes, those recharges also put pollution into the air.

In short, their are better ways to achieve several of your goals. Put $10k toward a used Honda Civic and enjoy 50+mpg and crazy low emissions output without causing a bunch of electronics makers to make another electrical conversion kit to replace the one you bought. You'll also never have emissions issues again, drive much cheaper, farther and faster. You'll never open the hood for reliability issues. And Mother Earth will personally thank you for lowering your overall carbon footprint.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Well!! Thanks to the ones that wish me good luck Cool The rest!! What can I say Rolling Eyes If you think that electric is not the future, to each is own

It's too bad that some are so negative here and lack of class, should have keep this to myself

Marc..
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You should check out the EVTV YouTube channel, as well. They're hacking wrecked Tesla components and installing them in other vehicles, like a T3 Doka. They also take the time to show you all the components and internals of the Tesla drive unit. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for the feedback, the opportunity is there Cool

Marc..
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
since you're in california, you could also check out fuel cells: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell_vehicle

Interesting !!

Thanks, Marc..
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

unh unh Doug

The Union of Concerned Scientists found that even when you add in emissions from battery manufacturing, EVs generate half the emissions of a conventional car over the course of its life.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

i do not wish you luck; it is the future.

i do wish you luck with the many other things you will need to fix on your van. may you get those done within 3 tries.
Marcq
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:

may you get those done within 3 tries.

I don't get that part! 3 tries?

Marc..
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

I was looking at going electric for my 73' beetle maybe 10yrs ago. based on the research, it would cost about 10k using lead acid batteries and gets about 30-50mi range. I kinda scratch the idea knowing i need more than 100mi range to make it worth it.
What kind of range are you calculating with $10k setup? I would image vanagon is a good conversion van with a lot of space for batteries.

Im not far from Corona, def would like to see the electric conversion once it get started.
As for fuel cell, they are very expensive. There is a filling station in AQMD office in walnut, but they are about $15-20 per gallon.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: