Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seriously thinking going electric
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

That Bug will work out to about 3.5-4 cpm at those stated numbers of range and capacity. That's about 1/2 fuel cost of gas right now.

The bigger future of transport is in autonomous high utilization of shared resources, that is much bigger than electric vs gas.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

People are too individual. It will take dekades of evolution to change the mind.
You can see this in your post.
Speaking about big future, but thinking about individual costs.

Who cares about some autonom driving vehicles.
How long do you think it will take ppl driving in south America, Africa, India, China with autonom vehicles ?

How many wars will be done for Oil and Gas till electric vehicles take over ?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Economics will drive it much faster than decades. Why have a $25-50,000 thing which you use 5% of the time sitting in your driveway? It won't matter if it's gas or electric ( and electric is the future, certainly, I agree)

I already have suburban neighbors who have gotten rid of car # 2 for ride sharing.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

"Economics will drive it much faster than decades."

Not as long it is economical sell wapons and make wars for oil.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

well, good luck. not saying it isn't possible, but all of the backyard hero's on the internetz better brush up on this stuff.....I have over 200 hours in training on just the electrical parts of hybrids....a drop of sweat at the wrong time will kill you. working on this stuff is the equivalent of beings a high voltage linesman....

then if you actually use the thing...corrosion becomes a huge problem...resistance and hybrids don't play nice together. is it possible? yes but your 300 hours into a conversion and 20K out of pocket will buy a lot of gas. suppose you need to see what the ROI is.....

and if you are looking for resale value, you will loose your ass. that bug posted for sale for 10K....it's a 5-7K car in stock form....at best. no one will overpay for it, so if you build it, you'd better love it cuz you're going to own it for a long, long time

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

there is NO ROI in electric. there barely is in household solar, certainly none in a DIY (or bought) electric conversion
wars were fought before we needed oil & gas.

people ride sharing and giving up a 2nd car are house poor (or other lifestyle choices). buying and taking credit with $$ they haven't yet earned.with kids in XYZ activities and programs..

do it because YOU believe in it, but not because it makes any financial cents.

the people making $$ off of electric are the same ones who made the $$ in a gold rush. the general store & bankers. people who sell the goods to people who are taking the risks

cheapest way to get thru smog and save the planet is a Diesel and a Waste Veggie Oil system. the populace won't give up their fried foods in any near century. you'll always have fuel even when the gas runs out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I already have suburban neighbors who have gotten rid of car # 2 for ride sharing.

Are you from the 1970's or something?
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

"wars were fought before we needed oil & gas. "

LOL yeah, for money.
Wait, what was it before money ? Foot

But today it is money and oil.

"cheapest way to get thru smog and save the planet is a Diesel and a Waste Veggie Oil system. the populace won't give up their fried foods in any near century. you'll always have fuel even when the gas runs out."

Tell me something. I drive since 12 years with raps oil.
But do you realy believe there is anoph veggie oil for all cars on the earth ?
Can you imagine how a city smells if all cars drive veggie oil ?
And do you realy think your politics will allow you to drive something else than oil in the next future ?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Oh shyt you think were talking about everyone? I thought it was just the OP's original problem. hassal of SMogging in California his VW.

the only solution for everyone and to save the planet.. involves (most) everyone going to some place else..

wars were fought over religion, food, women, personal agenda.

still are.

still always will be.

can't change the human beast..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
...wars were fought over religion, food, women, personal agenda...

Though at some point in the future -- we may add fresh water to that list.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Since we're waving our hands now, I'll raise mine above my head for a bit as well:

The LA basin in the '70s is THE greatest signifier of the GREAT value and wisdom of the PROGRESS of mankind since Theodore Roosevelt enacted many laws to protect and preserve the environment.

Cleaner air in LA is among the great ecological success stories of the 20th cent. and proof of the value of environmental science.

It is a validation of California's leadership role in the reduction of automobile, power, and industrial emissions

It is a validation of the current push toward renewable (solar) energy

It is a validation of efforts to relieve the depletion of ozone in the upper atmosphere

Anyone who visited LA and the surrounding region at that time knows how greatly things have improved. If you are too young there are plenty of images and videos.

If you are anti-GW, and sincerely wish to have an informed view (that is to say, you are willing to be persuaded against your own beliefs) I encourage you to be more picky about the source of your information. Read what the environmental people are saying. There are excellent summary reviews available in Science Journal and similar scientific journals. They, and not Crichton or whomever, are the experts qualified to wage an opinion on this complex subject.

Also, be aware that it is no longer in question that global warming is happening now, or that the consequences could be cataclysmic.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

seeing this has taken a huge detour....

what do you think makes EVERYTHING we touch a reality? oil....period. from making the solar arrays to harvesting the raw materials....oil is what makes it happen, period.

I have yet to see an electric dump truck....or excavator. all of the components needed to make electric power "real" will start wars etc over the precious metals to make this stuff....so the reducing war argument is out the window.

how much pollution goes into the manufacturing of Pv cells, copper wire, electric motors etc? lots.....you need heat to make the metal at the foundry for these components.

you still need grease and oil to lubricate these things....and coolant. since the beginning of time man has looked for perpetual energy....it doesn't exist on a large enough scale to be efficient. take ethanol....it takes more energy than it's worth to make....

I dunno. to each their own. I will keep my cars powered by exploding dinosaurs while some will go out and chase lightning bolts.

I would like to go on record to say that I like clean air and water as much as the next guy. the technology does exist to with desalination plants to make clean water....the issue is the cost to do so, and what to do with the leftover salt.....you cant dump it back into the ocean...the salton sea is a perfect example of this.

the problem is we need to be smart enough to take it without mother nature getting pissed off.....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
People are too individual. It will take dekades of evolution to change the mind...

It does take time but on some occasions change has moved rapidly. An example offered in the video I posted was this:

New York's 5th Avenue in 1900 -- you have to look closely to find the one car in the photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5th Avenue 13 years later, you have to look very closely to find the one horse:

EVs -- Will they be like cell phones? or CB radios? Companies that bet against rapid change can lose big (e.g. Kodak, DEC) while those that guess right may thrive.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Abscate wrote:

1950s
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

As one poster pointed out, we use oil for a great many purposes. The thing is, oil and coal ARE finite resources. When they are gone there goes a whole lot of other products we tend not to think about, and not just plastic, from pharmaceuticals to fertilizer. This resource has to last for the foreseeable time humans may live on this planet!

It makes more sense to conserve this resource for those uses than to just burn willy-nilly.
While it's true there is more energy condensed into fossil fuels than just about anything else (the exception is nuclear, but that is it's own can of worms) do we really need 500-600 hp cars? How about NASCAR? Seriously?, going around in circles as fast as you can? The way we squander these precious fuels is criminal.
Yes, we will continue to have gas power vehicles and machines for the foreseeable future. But is it really asking too much to consider conservation of this resource? The development of competing modes of power for our vehicles is more important than just less pollution (as important as that is!)

Yes, I love our Vanagon camper and the places it takes us. We also try to conserve elsewhere in our lives. Passive solar house, solar hot water, work from home, etc. It may not be a lot but we try.

Take a minute to consider how our grand children and their children will think of us while looking back at our times. We know all about the problem, we can foresee the need to conserve, yet we continue to squander in the name of profits and selfish fun. Think they might hate us?

And one more point before I get off my soapbox. The biggest problem we face is ourselves. There are just too many people.
Overpopulation is THE number one problem facing our world. Every other conflict stems from this simple fact. Planned parenthood is not a bad thing.

So back to the original point of this thread, converting a Vanagon to run on electricity. Go for it, every little bit helps get us where we need to go.
Building solar and electrical power goodies takes energy?, why yes it does!, but then so does manufacturing a gas engine and the energy used to refine the oil it will burn. The energy used to build solar is spent once.
Besides, what's the difference what he does with his van, if he were talking about stuffing a 500hp engine in there he would have lots of cheers from the peanut gallery. And how practical is that?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

the atmosphere and oceans will go before coal does

an electric Vanagon will be difficult to achieve in the next few years, but after that such vehicles will be common

BTW large dump trucks and excavators are always electric - ironically they are used in coal mines
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

skills hit the answer right in the keyhole.

Lightning, if we could only develop a way to harness and distribute the power of lightning
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Sharknados.....free energy and guilt free shark fin soup...
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

"what do you think makes EVERYTHING we touch a reality? oil....period. from making the solar arrays to harvesting the raw materials....oil is what makes it happen, period."

And 200 years ago it was wood and carbon.
We dont nee oil.
We just need brain and Energie.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Seriously thinking going electric Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
"what do you think makes EVERYTHING we touch a reality? oil....period. from making the solar arrays to harvesting the raw materials....oil is what makes it happen, period."

And 200 years ago it was wood and carbon.
We dont nee oil.
We just need brain and Energie.

That settles it. My next engine conversion is going to harken back to the very early days of VW.

I'm going wood gas baby!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: