Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Direction Waffling?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

Am I the only one that has issues with waffling between which direction I want to go with my 64? I swear as soon as I get locked into what I think is the "look" I want I change my mind a day, month or hour later....

Not sure the point of my post exactly other than maybe to ask if others decide rather organically, as it just happens? Or do you plan it out rigidly and go in that direction no matter what? I think a lot of my angst over decisions lies in the fact that I like a few different looks and have ideas, but know that for me its not truly practical to have more than one VW at a time due to lack of room, funds etc.

Thoughts?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
richardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

Stealing a saying from someone on this forum, "Stock never goes out of style"!
Rich
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

I prefer pancakes to waffles.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

richardc wrote:
Rich

While I appreciate a nice stock car, I want something more personalized. I wish I had the space for several cars but simply don't. We may make some adjustments to our garage to accommodate two cars if the opportunity arises but that will most likely be a dune buggy if I ever find the right one at the right time.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I prefer pancakes to waffles.

I'll have French toast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
richardc wrote:
Rich

While I appreciate a nice stock car, I want something more personalized. I wish I had the space for several cars but simply don't. We may make some adjustments to our garage to accommodate two cars if the opportunity arises but that will most likely be a dune buggy if I ever find the right one at the right time.

Why not consider a Thing type 181? Top down or off,doors off windshield down and you've got a buggy. Very Happy loud as hell too, I've had two.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

put on different wheels or paint yours a different color. Change out the bumpers. Try bolt on stuff to change the appearance.
What ever you do brace yourself as you will get lots of annoying comments on it. Kinda like posting here Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

When I'm shopping for cars, usually a couple of different theme variations are in the mix. Whatever I buy, though, usually stays in the camp it's in, maybe with some minor changes. But I generally prefer stock.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
richardc wrote:
Rich

Why not consider a Thing type 181? Top down or off,doors off windshield down and you've got a buggy. Very Happy loud as hell too, I've had two.

Never been a huge fan of the Thing, but that's a bit off topic.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
put on different wheels or paint yours a different color. Change out the bumpers. Try bolt on stuff to change the appearance.
What ever you do brace yourself as you will get lots of annoying comments on it. Kinda like posting here Wink

Yeah, I think the point is a bit muddled. What I'm aiming at, is getting derailed from how I want to build it. Its not a numbers matching, never been hit, OG dream so I don't feel guilty about personalizing it. Getting it all back to OG would require stripping and repainting which may happen some day, but I know the front fenders are incorrect, the engine lid is incorrect and the original motor is long gone. Its rust free though so IMO a very nice candidate for personalizing without destroying a pristine OG car. As I mentioned though I waffle between "looks"

Take wheels for example. I like the look of the original smoothies, but would like some wider rubber which means wider rims, which means spending $600 on widened OG rims or buying cheaper AA 5.5's. But then I do like whitewalls, but getting decent sized tires in WW's gets pretty spendy. So do I go retro with the smoothies and whitewalls, or do I go for the "outlaw" 356 look with lower profile blackwall tires, slotted no hubcap wheels or something similar to a "rally car"? Then I think about some sort of hybrid of a "what if" car... What if VW had made a 1500Special to compete during the Muscle car craze? Stripped down car similar to a "standard" with a larger motor, dual carbs and slotted wheels with disc brakes.

Seems like every time I get an idea and really think about going in that direction I change my mind. lol.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

Once you build a fire breathing 2276 with 180 HP it no longer matters what you put it in when you pass the Mustangs and Camaros.

I like the old 6 volt VW Bugs & Busses to be stock. I like the later 12 volt VW's to be all modified and hot rodded.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

I guess my point is are most people able to stay on a single track or do cars often go through various incarnations until they come to an end product? Or is it ever "done"?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

they are never "done"

I see "member since 2015" thats not very long. I think when you initally get into VW's you may like certain types of things...restomod beetles, 68+, then you may get into earlier beetles or even ghias, more time and its buses, then early bus... whatever the progression. Then as time goes by and you get deeper into the hobby you find your niche. 2015, 1 or 2 years is still very young in VW years. Rookie. Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

they are never done Laughing
Mine went from this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

to this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And I hated the stock look so now it is different again with the red wheels back on it and different bumpers
20 years and still changing the looks Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
richardc wrote:
Rich

Never been a huge fan of the Thing, but that's a bit off topic.

Thing is very similar to dune buggy which you expressed an interest in.
Just a thought.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
they are never "done"

They are done when you aren't sure what to do with it next.

Last edited by modok on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

How about a hormiga? Very rare and wierd
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

Look here
https://www.uswheel.com/collections/vw-wheels
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

I kinda like the resto-mod cars. Subtle but when you put your foot in it. You get to surprise that Camero or Stang from light to light.
If your interested in the rally look but are unsure. Remove your hub caps and drive your car for a week and see if it fits your liking. I have done that and always went back to hub caps. Most don't expect a stock looking beetle to be anything other than a complete dog in traffic. Bad expectation for them sometimes Very Happy

My next build will be at least 1835 Cool That might be a little more surprising for the muscle car moron next to me at the traffic light Shocked

Only you can decide Shar64. Make it what you think is right. If your disappointed. Make another change to your liking.

Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Direction Waffling? Reply with quote

I have an almost complete image of what I want for a finished product before I even obtain the car- regardless of car. I have to own a vehicle a long time before changing it. I have yet to be disappointed though with long term changes I've made to a couple "keepers." My Thing finally has enough period accessories to make me happy- but it took about 35 years to get there.

The cars "tell" me what look they want before I knock on the door. My ragtop is a 10 footer with a 35 foot hood- so it said it needed a fake rally theme. My Shantung yellow '71 screamed "Formula Vee" for days on Craigslist before I called the owner, etc..

I rarely stray unless during the honeymoon I discover something heinous. My "74 Love Bug keeps whispering "German Look" to me, but that strays far from the basic, stripped special edition it was intended to be when new. We'll see which way the car wants to go when I get to workin' underneath it.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: