Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question for the Group
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Question for the Group Reply with quote

I'm thinking about selling my 54 to purchase a 67 or earlier Ghia. I've always owned Beetles and looking for something different.

My 54 has all original fenders/aprons...only rear deck lid is from a 56. Zero rust car that has never been separated from the pans. All original seat frames, new upholstery. Okrasa engine

I know Ghia's are prone to rust in the rockers and nose damage is common.

If I go this direction I would be looking for a similar condition Ghia...

Am I dummy and just need to chill out?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

I wouldn't go as far as calling you a dummy but keep the 54. I've had my oval ragtop for 29 years ( it's the first car I ever bought ) and I've had my oval vert for 17 years now, I couldn't imagine someone else owning them except for my two sons. Buy a Ghia but keep the 54 it's a beautiful car. Just my $0.02

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

The ghias I've seen are cheap compared to your 54'. Keep your 54', if you've gotta have one that bad you better be looking for a cash/ghia trade for your Beetle. You've got one nice car there!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

I appreciate the responses. At one point I almost traded it for a Notchback, but was told that would be a dumb move, which it would have been

I'll either put it up for sale or begin building a 2 liter engine and matching transaxle. I just hate selling these cars and dealing with tire kickers
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

Made me laugh man...

allsidius wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

There are fairly clean Ghias to be found. I found one last July originally from Cali, then Reno, now in Canada. Needs, a battery tray, left rear fender corner and a small patch on the nose. Never been hit on the nose, solid rockers, solid floors. If you're patient you can find them. I've always loved Ghias and the prices seem to be going up on them compared to last year. I've always thought they were undervalued when compared to mass produced Beetles and busses. Plus there's a ton of room to work on a twin carb engine in a Ghia Very Happy

brad
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

Thanks Brad, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I am thinking.

Here is one of the cars I am interested in

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1956194
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

This one intrigues the heck out of me too

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2059616
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Thanks Brad, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with what I am thinking.

Here is one of the cars I am interested in

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1956194

Of the 2 given that they are the same asking price, I would buy this one in a heartbeat. Being 95% original will be a much easier sell down the line if you want to as well as retaining it's value much better. Great looking car, I'd be envious LOL

brad
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell that Beetle, no way, no how.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

Ok, you had me a little concerned from your 1st post "67 and earlier"....but you are looking at an early low light? That changes things. Any chance you might just build your own, and keep the 54? I've seen a few project low lights sell for less than $1500, if you have the time to build one. I'd be nice to have an early ghia and your 54.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

I wish I could, but my wife would divorce me!

I have a 3 car garage but...one for the 54, one for my wife's vehicle, and one for all my 3 kids toys

I just need to make a decision and go...the 54 will sell or it won't. In the end, it doesn't hurt to post it
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

Be sure you look over any potential Ghia purchase really, really well. Looking at the one in the post above I would be leery. Details will always reveal the level of restoration. Looking at the ad the Ghia has painted door latches, which means they didn't remove them. If they were too lazy to remove the door latches what other corners did they cut? The stainless panel in the engine bay also speaks of a cover up. These are just two details that jumped out at me as red flags.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

Good catches, I noticed the latch as well, which was odd when looking at the paint photo where they removed the body.

If I did sell, I promise I would not buy a cheap resto. Paint/Body are the biggest issues I review.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

well, there is that ghia in Conroe. The owner has the best paint and body shop in the area, I'm sure you've seen all the magazine cars he's been doing. He's a really nice guy, DLK club member

you should at least drive a ghia before you make a decision. They are fun - more so than a bug to me

If your '54 was a rag top - I'd say no way

good luck with your decision
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

I think you should only do it for a lowlight or maybe a real nice 64 and earlier vert! I'm too tall for a hard top so my decision would be easy

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

If you go to look at a ghia, I would take a "ghia savvy" person with you. I know I have missed small details on some of them over the years that a few of my friends looked for specifically. Keep your oval...
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

Erik:

Is it in the Classifieds?

Erik G wrote:
well, there is that ghia in Conroe. The owner has the best paint and body shop in the area, I'm sure you've seen all the magazine cars he's been doing. He's a really nice guy, DLK club member

you should at least drive a ghia before you make a decision. They are fun - more so than a bug to me

If your '54 was a rag top - I'd say no way

good luck with your decision
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for the Group Reply with quote

... I'd keep the '54 AND get a Ghia... that's what we did.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: