Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help - no start after engine drop/re-install
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

That's better, but you still have to make sure number 1 cylinder is at TDC for ignition and not at end of the exhaust stroke. The valves being loose ( closed) is the confirm for that.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

Good News! After correctly identifying TDC for #1 cylinder,
I got the dizzy lined up with spark plug wire #1, then used my light and static timed it for greater accuracy and it started right up.

Now, should I time it with a timing light or am I good to go?

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Good News! After correctly identifying TDC for #1 cylinder,
I got the dizzy lined up with spark plug wire #1, then used my light and static timed it for greater accuracy and it started right up.

Now, should I time it with a timing light or am I good to go?

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated.

Glad you got it started.

Timing it at 28° BTDC @ 3500+ rpms with the hose(s) off and plugged is best.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

Thanks Wildthings. I'm going to do my homework on using a timing light. Do I need some kind of tachometer? I've watched a lot of videos on timing a 1600 upright engine - I imagine the concept is the same but do you use he timing scale on the fan shroud - is that correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
Thanks Wildthings. I'm going to do my homework on using a timing light. Do I need some kind of tachometer? I've watched a lot of videos on timing a 1600 upright engine - I imagine the concept is the same but do you use he timing scale on the fan shroud - is that correct?

You don't need a tach, you just rev the engine until the mark quits advancing. You align the timing mark with the numbers on the scale. If your scale is old and the numbering unclear, make a paint mark at 28° BTDC so that it is easy to find.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

Makes sense - thank you.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

Woo Hoo
Give the distributor a good lubing and set at 28* full advance.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

You don't need a tach but watch the timing as the revs are slowly brought up to confirm it smoothly advances with the revs. This confirms your centrifugal or mechanical advance is in good shape. Hoses off and plugged, important.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

Another quick update. I purchased a timing light today - did more home work, watched some YouTube videos and then went to work and timed the engine to 28* BTDC @ 3500 RPM's, the the dizzy hoses removed and plugged. It was a straight forward procedure and made sense.

The engine runs great and after all the work, it's running much better and is more responsive and seems to have a little more power.

Thanks again all your help and advise.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help - no start after engine drop/re-install Reply with quote

You need to seal off the alternate dipstick location next to you alternator so you don't suddenly start spewing oil all over the place. Fine a bolt that will fit down into the tube and silicone or JB Weld it in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: