Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

So I attempted to check/ adjust my valves today on a new to me bus but when I went to do #1 it was really tight. Couldn't even get a .002 in there. My engine is a GD in a 77 so should be solid but who knows? I saw a thread on here were I pull the rockers and see if the push rods are all steel with a magnet? 13 ft lbs of torque on retight? If they are solid lifters how much trouble am I in?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

from what i see, (pushrod diameter, rocker assemblies,)
that is all solid lifter set up. I would do an adjustment to .006",
and fire it up. one more image would help, one closer to the last
pushrod on the right, to see the transition from the steel ball to aluminum tube.
don't freak yet about the .002" setting, .006" won't hurt hydros as long
as you're just experimenting & not driving it down the highway a hundred miles.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

Assuming they're solid lifters, finding an exhaust valve tight isn't all that unusual. What you need to watch out for is finding one that's tighter than tight (e.g. you have to back off the adjuster 1/4 turn or more to get to zero clearance). This generally means that the valve is stretching at the stem right below the valve head or (in type IV's) that the seat is sinking into the head. My rule of thumb is finding this condition on any one valve more than three times means the head comes off for inspection. Having a valve loose it's head will make you do the same...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

The number of threads showing on the adjuster for the #1 exhaust valve is troubling. Crying or Very sad

Pull the rockers and put a straight edge across the tips of the valve stems and see if they are all the same height. I would bet that the #1 exhaust stem is going to be higher than the others.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

Shinnlinger wrote:
13 ft lbs of torque on retight?

9 ft-lbs on a Type 4 engine!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

So good news. The valves all seem to be the same heights. The bad news is I have no idea how to put that bail back....
But I clearly have solid lifters.

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

Are you talking about the valve cover bail? Each end fits into a small hole in the outside ends of the head.

If you are talking about the spring wire that nests under the pushrods, go to other head and take a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

use a crochet needle or a curved mechanic's pick-
if you fail to seat them against the pushrod tubes they will 'shave' your
aluminum pushrods. Hate when that happens.
EDIT: bolt the rockers down first, get the uppers into the gaps in the registers,
then tug each bottom portion in, the wire runs under each push rod, exerting
pressure on the outer lip of each tube.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

We each probably have our own way of dealing with the retaining spring. I set it over the pushrods prior to installing the rockers and then seat the upper ends in the slots in the rocker supports as I slide the rockers into place. Once the nuts are started but not run down, I pop the lower ends into place against the ends of the pushrod tube. They push against the ends and do not fit down into the tubes.

Also as you tighten the rockers down you need to make sure none of the pushrods have hung up on the edges of the lifters as they are want to do. I just slowly work the nuts down while spinning and otherwise feeling the pushrods to make sure everything is 100% kosher.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Shinnlinger wrote:
13 ft lbs of torque on retight?

9 ft-lbs on a Type 4 engine!!!!

Worth repeating, those 7mm studs and nuts aren't something you find at Home depot.

I seat the bottoms of the spring wire against the tubes and push the top inwards with my thumbs or a flat screwdriver until they click into the slots on the rocker bosses. Everyone has thier own method.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

Note the split in the rocker shaft support faces down and the retaining wire locates in the splits. The wire retainer must sit against the end of the push rod tube or the wire will rub against the push rod during service.
Shinnlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Is the purpose to keep the tubes in place? I did get it wrong at first on one side but a gentle tug with my needlnose set it in place and yes I had a pushrod not line right up so I had to loosen again and adjust. So valve covers. Little Vw inside upside down?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I have hydraulic lifters or am I an idiot? Reply with quote

yes, inner vw logo upside down on mine, if i put them up, they weep.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: