Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

S10 Frame under a fastback
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjg53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

before i get tarred and feathered, just wondering who has done it on here, and if so, where their is a link to see how its done. id like to do a 4.3 vortec to power my 73 fasty. i need speed back in my life but i love my VW and i want something unique. ive seen plenty of V8 bugs but i wanna do something different. thanks and if this is in the wrong section let me know, as i barely post here mostly read...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

can't say that I have seen one, but why not go with a Subaru gears 5 speed and a turbo STi set up? it would be loads easier, handle better and have more power than a 4.3

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jjg53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

I did think of that but wasn't sure how it would work with a unibody...
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

The fastback has a bolt on pan that holds F/R suspension, just like the bug, ghia. Bus is a unibody vehicle
jjg53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

I meant the Subaru, aren't they unibody? Or would all that gear fit easily in a fasty???
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

Subi stuff has gone in Type III's already. Its a pretty popular setup
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

jjg53 wrote:
I meant the Subaru, aren't they unibody? Or would all that gear fit easily in a fasty???

When others are suggesting a Subaru, they are meaning just the engine (maybe trans) not the under carriage with the suspension.

Although a AWD Type 3 would be interesting....

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
jjg53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

Ya I have seen the engine swap, I want full frame work, even a WRX with a fasty body on it, I know that be almost impossible that's why I thinking S10
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

If you put a cage in the car it will stiffen it up.

For a full frame car you would use a pinto/vega front end with a decent rear assemble from a panther body tbird or a corvette. Using a s10 chassis is turning a type3 into a ratrod.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

A Suby with turbo could do probably 400hp. Beef up the drive train, add roll cage and there you go. Anything can be done, but alot of ideas like this never get started or completed. There is a guy in the Bus forum building a complete boxed frame - really cool stuff and professional also

Read this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660250&highlight=
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

So let me guess, you have a fastback with a rotted out pan and a S-10 with a rotted out body and if you squint really hard, you can see them together.

I just don't see the value of the S-10 frame under it, unless...

IS IT A 4 WHEEL DRIVE FRAME???

If it is, then DON"T DO IT! There are enough abortions in the Readers Rides column.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
jjg53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

No, danpa I'm a third owner on my car, car is from Virginia, not a flake of rust on it...
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

Always remember, it is your car and you can do what you want to do. If you have the mechanical ability and cash, anything is possible. I believe there are already discussions about putting an S-10 chassis under a bug. No reason an S-10 chassis wouldn't go under Type III. No reason you cannot put a 4.3 V6 into the Type III without another chassis. Plenty of folks have V8'd their cars before. It will just take imagination and skill...and money. Figuring it all out and making it work is all the fun. Don't be deterred by all the opinions. If you do, then you will get discouraged and quit. Have fun with it.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
jjg53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: S10 Frame under a fastback Reply with quote

Dave, I'm not at all worried about my skill level, I am a heavy equipment mechanic full time as a civilian for the army, so I turn wrenches all day haha. I just mostly wanted to find info from someone else that already did it as to see how the front suspension lined up, what needs to be fabbed for tires to fit how to power the truck side but keep stock electronics in the fasty, stuff like that. Thank you for the encouragement cause it's something I'd really like to do!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: