Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1998 Nissan Frontier and 1998 Pathfinder
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: 1998 Nissan Frontier and 1998 Pathfinder Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I've still not had these plastic things break on either of my Frontiers, but yesterday my daughter called with brake lights-on issue, Memorial Day; she has a 1998 Pathfinder.

Turns out that her brake switch and the cruise control switch were in switched positions according to the diagram, and both her plastic nubs had broken, cruise control not working for a while now.

I ended up doing the bolt/nut trick like I've seen in this thread and online. Let me tell you that even with average-sized hands getting access to any of this is a bit$ch !!! I can't believe that someone or someones at Nissan actually thought drilling holes and having plastic pads to depress the pins on these switches would be better than just the steel itself. Plus the design having these things so inaccessible, think even inserting the "real" repair part would be tough. By the way: none of this is in the official service manuals either, just the diagram of the stoplight switch wiring.

One question: daughter's Pathfinder still has right brake light, and 3rd brake light lit when pedal is pushed down. But no positive voltage getting to socket of left brake light. I believe some vehicles have the brake lights on separate circuits, as some sort of safety thing. Anyone know if that's the case with these vehicles, and if so, which fuse might be for left brake light?

Do the new green ones go in easily, considering that there's not much room there with which to work?

I think I like best to epoxy in a penny over the hole !!!

Any guesses why Nissan used the little plastic inserts/bumpers?

So, 3 weeks later, my daughters come over for Fathers' Day. I told the story of the stupid plastic nub to my oldest's boyfriend. An hour later, i noticed that the brake lights on my own '98 Frontier were on, same issue. So 8:30pm at night, this time I started the engine (read that helped get more working room as brake pedal could go lower), got daughter to hold down brake pedal with a golf club, I cleaned the "hole" area with brake cleaner and a paper towel, then somehow got a penny with JB Weld on it into position (NOT EASY !!!!) and released the brake pedal to hold in place. Brake lights are off. Good thing: I need to leave tomorrow morning at 6:30am, and likely would've found a dead battery.

So hopefully that will be a permanent fix. Please don't ask year of penny, whether heads or tails, etc., not in the mood !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder and 1998 Frontier Reply with quote

Penny fix worked, save your dimes for fix of carb discs !

However, today, returning to Phoenix 1pm, the AC stopped working in the Frontier, blower motor blew out hot air (projected to be 117F here today). About 10 minutes later cool air returned, then stopped again 10 minutes later, as I was approaching home. So far, all I've done is confirm that compressor was not turning when the hot air was blowing.

So trying to figure when/if is a good time to work on this, scheduled to go back up north Wednesday, and 12F projected for tomorrow. Heat warning extended until Saturday evening now. I might "have to" take the B2200 up north, driving without AC when it's this hot (figure 140-150F 4 feet above the pavement) is a real chore.

I need to see if compressor is getting voltage when the AC clutch stops engaging, that's #1. Since it started blowing cold again, I can most likely rule out refrigerant charge.

[QUOTE=Cussboy;189027]See above, looks like I was wrong. Braved the 117F afternoon temperature, took a look see. AC clutch was engaged then; saw oily residue on the high pressure rubber line from compressor to condenser, actually found a tiny pinhole leaking refrigerant and oil when the AC was operating...
Lower part of the hose is on the right in this picture, flowed down by gravity.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is dealer part 92490-3S501 which sounded discontinued when I called Courtesy Nissan Parts in Texas. However, for half that price ($5Cool there are aftermarket units available from your local O'Reilly. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MRY0/5613...bilityTab_

So looks like "AC fun" Wednesday morning !!! Since the system still contains refrigerant so no air got in, I will NOT be replacing the drier. I will add 1 - 2 oz. refrigeration oil that has some UV dye in it, then evacuate, check vacuum, and add R134a (NO SEALERS OR CONDITIONERS !!!).[/QUOTE]
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder and 1998 Frontier Reply with quote

OK, got this all done and cleaned up by 9am; remember that it's not 117F until later !! Access was very good, one bolt holds the assembly at each end (sealed by an O-ring), easy access with 12mm socket and extensions as needed. I did add some UV dye too. The line came with 2 extra O-rings, too. I pulled good vacuum, it held that vacuum, then I added the R134a. So if no leaks, then should be good to go.

While it was pumping down, I got an oil change done on the B2200.
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder and 1998 Frontier Reply with quote

Now go find yourself some shade.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder and 1998 Frontier Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Now go find yourself some shade.

No shade here except where they measure that temperature.

Frontier AC worked great on 100 mile mid-day trip yesterday in 116F, so calling that fixed for the time being.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1998 Nissan Pathfinder and 1998 Frontier Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
OK, got this all done and cleaned up by 9am; remember that it's not 117F until later !! Access was very good, one bolt holds the assembly at each end (sealed by an O-ring), easy access with 12mm socket and extensions as needed. I did add some UV dye too. The line came with 2 extra O-rings, too. I pulled good vacuum, it held that vacuum, then I added the R134a. So if no leaks, then should be good to go.

While it was pumping down, I got an oil change done on the B2200.

Late June 2017: Yipes, a leak. I had a bad fan clutch which resulted in high refrigerant pressure, leaked past an O-ring on the new hose.

Turns out the steel cylinders that go into the fittings are 14.5 mm, were like 9mm on the original line, I didn't notice. Only supplier is out of Texas, I called and I'm the first person to report this, but I held the old and new side by side, big difference.

Looked at same hose with different brand name (same supplier), that was incorrect also. Note that O-ring is at same location on each though (good).

So I cut down the new, incorrect part to approximate the depth of the original hose fitting, then evacuated system, added some R134a oil, and 24 oz. R134a. I replaced the fan clutch.AC has been fine through Arizona July and August into mid-September so far.

Funny - the 3 reviews on Amazon for this part stated that the buyers were very satisfied with this part - I matched up the length and angle with my original line, but never suspected the depth into the fitting would be different !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: