Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 Diesel Vanagon (1.9 Jetta Turbo Swap)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbrockop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: 1982 Diesel Vanagon (1.9 Jetta Turbo Swap) Reply with quote

Hi All...I'm brand new to the forums and to the Vanagon community. I just found a 1892 Vanagon with a 1.6 Jetta Turbo Diesel, and now she's all mine! There's not much to the interior, just a z-bed and a pergo floor.

I'm looking for parts, ideas, advice...there's just so much to do, and so many possibilities! I've got a rack that I'm putting on, and I'd like to get a roof-mount tent, like a Tepui. Inside, I want storage and a sink, but I'd like to do my cooking outside, possibly under an awning.

Specifically, if anyone has an air box, I need a replacement (among other things in the future, like curtains, a jump seat, table, etc). Seems that 82 Diesel parts are hard to come by...

I'm also not sure that the z-bed is stock. It folds down properly, but when in upright position, it doesn't lock back into the latches. It's about an inch away, as if it came from a different model year. Any advice? Can I make it fit, or should I swap it out?

Looking forward to plenty of adventure!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Vanagon (1.9 Jetta Turbo Swap) Reply with quote

You should post up some pics so we can see what you're working with.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Vanagon (1.9 Jetta Turbo Swap) Reply with quote

Sounds like you have an ECOdiesel, the first generation of turbo diesels, which came in the early 1990s Jettas. The engine has no “boost enrichment” and so is simpler than later turbo diesels. It runs lean, and therefore is supposed to produce no smoke, but the tradeoff is less power. The 1.6 size was US only, while a 1.9 version of the engine was only sold in Canada, so parts are mostly available up there. In any case, its still big improvement over the stock engine.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Vanagon (1.9 Jetta Turbo Swap) Reply with quote

There were regular 1.6 turbo engines offered in the Mk2 Golf/Jettas that had boost enrichment. I always thought the EcoDiesel concept was kinda bizarre

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 Diesel Vanagon (1.9 Jetta Turbo Swap) Reply with quote

I believe that the 1.6TD was introduced with full boost fuel enrichment with the '83 Mk1s (rabbit/jetta/quantum). It was then produced with full boost fuel enrichment in the first few years of the Mk2 run. It was replaced with the ECOdiesel in 1990 in the US in order to meet more stringent emissions standards for small diesels. The IDI diesels were then discontinued in the US without ever receiving the AAZ due to even more stringent emissions standards.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: