Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Jimbo, what about going with one those serpentine belt setups...?

Then the fan will blow up Laughing

Some slippage at high rpms is probably desirable. Every thread I've seen about an exploded fan was running a serpentine belt.

I would double check the alignment. Make sure the pullies align well. Maybe rev the motor to high rpms and watch the Gen pulley for a sudden rpm related wobble. However, I'd use a recording device, and not stand right behind an engine when you're totally expecting a belt to shread.

Or maybe try a different manufacturer belt. Maybe a "cheaper" one might be better as it might slip easier and not allow the Gen to turn so fast.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Jimbo, is it possible you reach terminal velocity with how fast you can spin the alternator and the belt is slipping when it reaches it? Not sure if there is only so much air you can move with the fan before it becomes excessive and resistive?

Just random idle thoughts

Good point. I do not know the answer. Hoping someone does.

I like random thoughts, better than nothing. Sometimes things spark because of them! Sometimes when I get stuck, I start doodling on some paper, just to get the juices flowing and at times, that is when the epiphany hits! So, thank you!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Yeah, I was wondering about those. Having never ran one, I just do not know. I bet that is what is going to happen, but was wondering what was out there.

Thank you for chiming in, always appreciated!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
vamram wrote:

Then the fan will blow up Laughing

Some slippage at high rpms is probably desirable. Every thread I've seen about an exploded fan was running a serpentine belt.

I would double check the alignment. Make sure the pullies align well. Maybe rev the motor to high rpms and watch the Gen pulley for a sudden rpm related wobble. However, I'd use a recording device, and not stand right behind an engine when you're totally expecting a belt to shread.

Or maybe try a different manufacturer belt. Maybe a "cheaper" one might be better as it might slip easier and not allow the Gen to turn so fast.

LMAO! That would be the next step - right!

Growing tired of this game. I love the additional power, but the amount of set backs is daunting and takes all of my energy with it. It is like continuously being beaten down and still getting back up for more. Those 1600 days are starting to sound better! But, you know I can not give up till the wife says "STOP SPENDING MONEY!"

I like the cheaper belt idea. It may be what is needed, less grip. I will get a cheapy and see what happens. Worst case is I cook the engine and have to build a 1600.

What are your thoughts on the serpentine belt setups? Are they designed with the higher rpm in mind? Maybe I need to get this thread started up over on the Performance section.

Thanks for the time and thoughts!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

I'd be happy to drive up to Huntington and swap engines with you! I'll even bring the tools and beer Laughing

Honestly, I've never ran a serpentine belt. Never felt the need to shell out the coin for one, no need, my V belt has done it's job just fine.

The risk of exploding fans is also a deterrent to the serpentine belt to me. A welded, balanced fan would allow it to be spun faster, but to what point? IDK.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I'd be happy to drive up to Huntington and swap engines with you! I'll even bring the tools and beer Laughing

Honestly, I've never ran a serpentine belt. Never felt the need to shell out the coin for one, no need, my V belt has done it's job just fine.

The risk of exploding fans is also a deterrent to the serpentine belt to me. A welded, balanced fan would allow it to be spun faster, but to what point? IDK.

LMAO Laughing

Almost there. Be patient, it may happen! You will be the first to know.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

LMAO Laughing

Almost there. Be patient, it may happen! You will be the first to know.

Dancing Dancing
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Just spitballing here...

Maybe running the belts a 'smidge' tighter than typical specs? One or two shims difference?

I just have a visual that at 7000RPMs the belt kinda acts like those top-fuel dragsters' back tires. They 'spread out' at speed, kinda cool to see in slow-mo video. I wonder if a similar phenomenon is happening with the belt? IDK, though.

I'm not a performance guy though, just thoughts.

Or in similar thought process as the 'cheaper less grippy belt' run a shim looser than OEM specs?

Boy I'm helpful tonight, Laughing
"Maybe make the belt tighter or looser than you are currently doing"
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Have tried both ways. Looser allows the belt to be thrown much sooner, but still at 7050 rpm.

Tighter allows the belt to stay on the car for a few weeks. Twice as long as looser. Still only throws them at 7050 rpm.

There is something magical with that spinning rate. I just do not know what it is.

I have not tried a different brand of belt. So, I will get a few different manufacturers belts in the trunk and go for a drive.

I think I will try posting this up in the performance threads. Maybe someone has already been down this path.

Thank you for spitballing. I was looking for some other avenue of thought.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

What brand of belt are you running?
I need to invest some money in the stock market. Maybe you can double my portfolio with your replacement belt adventures. Laughing

All kidding aside. Have you tried a serrated belt? They ride a little higher in the pulley's. But seem to work on my 2180.
That is while it was running in the car. I did see 7K + Very Happy on the tach and the belt stayed in place.

And yes, you are way over due for PCH drive picture posts.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
What brand of belt are you running?
I need to invest some money in the stock market. Maybe you can double my portfolio with your replacement belt adventures. Laughing

All kidding aside. Have you tried a serrated belt? They ride a little higher in the pulley's. But seem to work on my 2180.
That is while it was running in the car. I did see 7K + Very Happy on the tach and the belt stayed in place.

And yes, you are way over due for PCH drive picture posts.

Good Luck.

Running the standard Continential, every Bug parts place sells.

I will get a serrated belt this upcoming week and see what happens. Thanks for the idea. Really did not know which direction to go into. So, now I have a few!

If the belt works, I will get you and Xevin those PCH pictures. I should have been clicking because it has been awesome out!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I will get you and Xevin those PCH pictures. I should have been clicking because it has been awesome out!

Pray Very Happy We do love us some pictures of dry sunny road tripin. Good times. Gives us hope the sun will return around July 5th Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

I'm kinda leaning towards a harmonic wobble of the Gen pulley. That RPM is pretty specific, so I think when it hits that RPM some sort of event occurs. Maybe a badly balanced fan or pulley, or a bad bearing in the Gen?

I had a cut off tool that would run true to a certain RPM, but if exceed the bit would wobble all the sudden and usually result in shattering the cut off wheel. It was a bad bearing.
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

First world fast guy problems. Sheesh. Lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I'm kinda leaning towards a harmonic wobble of the Gen pulley. That RPM is pretty specific, so I think when it hits that RPM some sort of event occurs. Maybe a badly balanced fan or pulley, or a bad bearing in the Gen?

I had a cut off tool that would run true to a certain RPM, but if exceed the bit would wobble all the sudden and usually result in shattering the cut off wheel. It was a bad bearing.

Kind of leaning towards the generator. Time will tell. Going to run it , and keep a few belts on the floorboard.

The crank pulley was part of the balancing, along with the flywheel, pressure plate, and all the bolts. The pullies are in alignment. Sounds like I am hitting a brake point as Dave has mentioned, or something is out of wack with the generator.

This is hitting the back burner, as of tomorrow. I will turn the red needle down to 6500 and return back to it in several months. Damn it! I picked up a 75 standard beetle. The father in law picked it up from a tenant who needed to pay their missed rent payments. He has tried for a few years to get into restoring the Bug, but just cannot. So, I am getting it this coming Friday. We are already having a hard time parking cars here, this is pushing it, big time. I will see if I can juggle parking spaces. Our HOA has a three day limit and the city has a three day limit, plus the street sweeper drives by bi weekly. It will be fun!!! Another build thread coming soon!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Kind of leaning towards the generator. Time will tell. Going to run it , and keep a few belts on the floorboard.

The crank pulley was part of the balancing, along with the flywheel, pressure plate, and all the bolts. The pullies are in alignment. Sounds like I am hitting a brake point as Dave has mentioned, or something is out of wack with the generator.

This is hitting the back burner, as of tomorrow. I will turn the red needle down to 6500 and return back to it in several months. Damn it! I picked up a 75 standard beetle. The father in law picked it up from a tenant who needed to pay their missed rent payments. He has tried for a few years to get into restoring the Bug, but just cannot. So, I am getting it this coming Friday. We are already having a hard time parking cars here, this is pushing it, big time. I will see if I can juggle parking spaces. Our HOA has a three day limit and the city has a three day limit, plus the street sweeper drives by bi weekly. It will be fun!!! Another build thread coming soon!

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
First world fast guy problems. Sheesh. Lol

Love that line! Added it to the bottom of my signature. Thanks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

I’ll trade dealing with a little snow and cold weather rather than having some putz HOA or busy body city rules telling me how to arrange cars on my property. Other than that Cali sounds fun, I lived in Long Beach once upon a time back in 70s Very Happy hang in there brother.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Was out driving the 70 today. Thought that I would open up its lungs and let it breathe a little bit. Car runs strong. Shifts smooth and has acceleration up into the higher RPM range, which I thought it would not. I guess those bigger valves do work!

Here you go Xevin and Vanram. Sorry there is a lack of the ocean, but I could not take my eyes off of the road. It was on the right hand side the whole time, about 500 feet away or so. PCH runs right along the backside of the beach parking lots through this portion. The one stop light I go through is the entrance into Bolsa Chica State Beach. Really nice beach. It is where I learned to surf as a 8 year old. At the end of the video when I pan over to the ocean, that is the Santa Ana River jetty exit. That is a decent spot to go catch fun little waves with great shape!

Link

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’ll trade dealing with a little snow and cold weather rather than having some putz HOA or busy body city rules telling me how to arrange cars on my property. Other than that Cali sounds fun, I lived in Long Beach once upon a time back in 70s Very Happy hang in there brother.

Thankfully we have no snow, we have cold days, down into the mid 50s and hot days, low 90s. We also have no property, except the house and a side yard. Yard is roughly 25 long by 12 wide. It is all flagstone set in concrete. I hate upkeep and yards. Now, on the other side of the fence, is the HOA's yard, which I get to use as I please, it is about 1/4 mile long and 150 feet across. I am not into the HOA either but it does have its benefits. The other huge benefit is that the ocean is only about an 1/8 of a mile away. Great for parties and playing games out in. But the best part is good surf is less than 1/4 mile away! I can walk, run or bike down to the beach, for an hour or the day.

Too bad I could not have it all, property and a house next to the beach! Now that would be sweet! The wifey sells those to people, weekly. Last one sold for 2.5 million. Wayyyyy out of my money range!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: