Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Looks good sounds good, I especially liked that footage trying to see something I recognized. I used to drive PCH from San Pedro through Long Beach Seal beach Huntington Newport all the way down to San Clemente. I was there at Long Beach Naval ship yard in late 70s.

That’s a great drive!

That shot was of the Santa Ana river mouth. It makes for a decent wave. For us old guys! Not that I surf, too old for that work!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
Quote:
I like the cheaper belt idea. It may be what is needed, less grip. I will get a cheapy and see what happens. Worst case is I cook the engine and have to build a 1600.

What are your thoughts on the serpentine belt setups? Are they designed with the higher rpm in mind?

Had the same issue with belt flipping over. Worked much better with a NAPA XL belt than a Conti but ultimately a welded, balanced fan solved the issue.

But before you go through the exercise of changing the fan try a NAPA XL belt or two. Either a 7 (7.5mm) series or a 9 series (11mm) and leave the belt slightly loose so the belt can start slipping before the fan explodes.

I run a serpentine belt. Calm down everyone, it's in a Bus and I run the fridge on 12VDC so have a heavy charge load on the HO alternator. The serp, belt does not like running above 7KRPM if tight but it does work fine up to 7K if you leave it ever so slightly loose. The serpentine belt definitely lasts a lot longer than any V belt and I have never had one break or flip. BUT if I leave the belt tight it does get a nasty harmonic vibration at around 6800 to 7200 RPM. Amazingly noisy and noticeable vibration. Loose belt, no issues.

I would not bother doing a serpentine belt on your beast unless you have a constant heavy electrical load to address.

Motor sounds sweet. Glad you got it all sorted out.

Issue has been resolved. Thanks! As you can see in the video, I turn my rpm needle to 6000 rpms. If I shift somewhere around that point I never loose a belt. Not a big deal. There have been a few times where I would liked to have gotten a few more 100 rpms out of it, but I like the idea of not having to rebuild an engine for a little bit.

You get it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Love that video!

I managed to get the rear wheels to break loose at the 3rd gear shift this morning on the way to work. Shocked Kinda surprised me.

Have fun terrorizing all the speed wanna be's on PCH!

Take care Brah!

Thank you!

Third gear! Damn that has some torque! Have fun and watch out for slower traffic!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Looks good Jim! Video looks slow compared to actually sitting in that speed demon!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
Looks good Jim! Video looks slow compared to actually sitting in that speed demon!

I thought so too! I took four clips going back and forth. I never felt that I got it right. Maybe filming and driving are not meant to be done in parallel. Next time I will stop by and pick you up, so that I can film and you can drive!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Sounds good to me! Or I could be the slow vw you can fly by for point of reference Very Happy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

I have been neglecting the 70 for a few months now. I have to move it every two weeks regardless of what is happening. The street sweeper comes by two Wednesday’s every month.

For the last several, I have barely made it in time, due to the battery being discharged. A few weeks ago, I got in to start it and it would not crank over. Went around in circles and finally ended up figuring out the ignition switch died.

For the last few weeks, I have been meaning to get a relay installed, but that whole time management issue is ever present. Well, today was the day. I got the hot start installed and figured I would install a new ignition switch that I had. Both items went smooth and I believe the car is starting better. Well see on Wednesday!

The biggest surprise is that, I believe it still had its original ignition switch!

Taking it apart
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Installing the switch

All back together. Time for a test!

The old switch.

After that, to protect the new switch, I installed a hard start relay. I had an NOS Bosch relay and socket, thankfully. So, I did not have to go to the store!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
I have been neglecting the 70 for a few months now. I have to move it every two weeks regardless of what is happening. The street sweeper comes by two Wednesday’s every month.

Good move Jim! I did the same for my '76, but the instructions want you to put under the car, glad I didn't.

Glad to see another VW saved from the crusher, wouldn't mind having a '70 myself! Smile

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Gr0unded wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Good move Jim! I did the same for my '76, but the instructions want you to put under the car, glad I didn't.

Glad to see another VW saved from the crusher, wouldn't mind having a '70 myself! Smile

Did not get your full meaning with “want you to put under the car”. But thanks! I did not have to move the Bug this past week. Our city gave everyone a pass by not sweeping the street. First time in forever, according to one older neighbor who has lived here their whole life!

It’s all good!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Gr0unded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Did not get your full meaning with “want you to put under the car”. But thanks! I did not have to move the Bug this past week. Our city gave everyone a pass by not sweeping the street. First time in forever, according to one older neighbor who has lived here their whole life!

It’s all good!

I purchased the hard to start relay kit from Wolfsburg West, the instructions indicate to mount the kit beneath the car near the starter. I didn't exactly prefer to get under the car when plenty of done just fine under the rear seat. So I did exactly that, put it in under the seat and works great.

Life is good!

Stop Dead Photo Links! Post your VW photos to the Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Gr0unded wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

It’s all good!

I purchased the hard to start relay kit from Wolfsburg West, the instructions indicate to mount the kit beneath the car near the starter. I didn't exactly prefer to get under the car when plenty of done just fine under the rear seat. So I did exactly that, put it in under the seat and works great.

Life is good!

I get it now! Glad it worked out.

Odd, that they want it by the starter. Seems like water would get into those terminals and start the corrosion problem that plague so many terminals already. Seemed perfect to stick it under the rear seat, since all of the wires needed are right there!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

So, I have been chasing a hard start issue, every other week for a year! Today, yes today I found my problem! I have the kids Jeep Liberty down (transmission rebuild) and decided to “borrow” that battery. Put it in and hooked it up. Bug started in a split second. I guess 600 cca is not enough juice to spin a 2127. Had to get a 800 cca battery!

All good now! Well, will finalize my finding next Wednesday when the street sweeper comes by.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
So, I have been chasing a hard start issue, every other week for a year! Today, yes today I found my problem! I have the kids Jeep Liberty down (transmission rebuild) and decided to “borrow” that battery. Put it in and hooked it up. Bug started in a split second. I guess 600 cca is not enough juice to spin a 2127. Had to get a 800 cca battery!

All good now! Well, will finalize my finding next Wednesday when the street sweeper comes by.

That has to be a satisfying discovery. "We're going to need a bigger battery."
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Update time.

The good. New battery has been awesome! Flawless starting, every time!

Got these today for my Christmas gift from the wife!

But I have to wait because CA is behind in having prisoners do physical labor! Hoping to get them in a few weeks!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

That's friggin awesome!

Kinda gives me an idea for a vanity plate. Very Happy

Merry Christmas Brah!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
That's friggin awesome!

Kinda gives me an idea for a vanity plate. Very Happy

Merry Christmas Brah!

Merry Christmas!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Congrats, Jimbo. I used to complain because my wife never supported my golf hobby. But she is fully onboard with my VW hobby. Like you, I received a VW related gift (the hood script for the Ghia). We are lucky to have our wives!
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Congrats, Jimbo. I used to complain because my wife never supported my golf hobby. But she is fully onboard with my VW hobby. Like you, I received a VW related gift (the hood script for the Ghia). We are lucky to have our wives!

Congrats on the hood script! That was an awesome gift!

I could not agree more with you! I had the same experience with my wife and golf. When we were first married (27 years ago), I was a mechanic and she was a school teacher. I would often take off early from work and hit the golf course. Mostly went to the range and drove a few buckets of balls. But, once a week I would meet my father there and we would play the back 9! It was great! I always tried to get the wife to join me, but she never did.

She has recently stated that she may try golfing in the next few years, so that we both could exercise and have fun together. Sounds great to me!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

Wow, a wife that likes golf and VW stuff, does she have a sister?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW_Jimbo's 1970 Restoration Reply with quote

California finally sent me my plates.

Check it out!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: