Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

I thought I'd share this. We bought a 6.5' Collapsible ladder to access our roof top cargo box. I also built a little riser to slide the ladder under so we can still stack camping or other supplies on top.

I got this from Amazon for $75 prime and it is worth every penny and then some.

Yi Hai 6.5ft Portable Aluminium Telescoping Ladder Extension Multi Purpose Lightweight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0196DL3YI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_7mhszbH0V2Z94

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sdunn35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

Nice solution - much more elegant than my aluminum step stool, which, because it only fits on the roof rack next to the Thule box, I have to stand on the rear tire to un-velcro it before I can get it down and then use it to access the Thule box. This is more civilized Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

I actually bought that same one a month ago and just used it for our camping trip. I didn't know how it would work because it just sat in the box until I left last week.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. We're strongly considering one of these prior to our Summer road trips

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

We have been finding the simple wood riser just as valuable as the ladder. It really minimizes the space and makes it so easy to access. I made it out of some scrap wood that was laying around.

The ladder is light and sturdy, love it!
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

I want a heavy rickety ladder instead. One with splinters is even better.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
We have been finding the simple wood riser just as valuable as the ladder. It really minimizes the space and makes it so easy to access. I made it out of some scrap wood that was laying around.

When you first posted this I wondered about that -- seemed like a really simple, handy way to accommodate an item that would otherwise be difficult to pack well, and prone to "grabbing" other things when pulled out. Thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

Thanks to Mark's advice, I just bought one of these ladders. I like it a lot! We have been using it to load bikes on the roof. Not the easiest task to begin with but it works quite well. The link above didn't work for me but I bought the one linked below and I believe it's the same ladder. Thanks again Mark!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196DL3YI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

Glad to hear it is working well for you too. This ladder is still one of the most appreciated accessories. This past weekend we had a full spacebox and a paddle board on top the van which made the top too heavy to self support. In a pinch, I used the ladder to prop up the top to ensure it wouldn't collapse on us overnight.

Also, a new storage location for our ladder has been constructed, integrated into our new pull-out drawer:

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

When you found the top was too heavy, did it want to drop back down straight or cant over to one side or the other? I recently replaced the top struts as a pair, but prior to that I always got nervous when putting stuff up top and then lifting the top. I couldn't help but feel that it was going to wrack itself and twist the rear hinges.

We also love that collapsing ladder.

y u rune klassik?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
When you found the top was too heavy, did it want to drop back down straight or cant over to one side or the other? I recently replaced the top struts as a pair, but prior to that I always got nervous when putting stuff up top and then lifting the top. I couldn't help but feel that it was going to wrack itself and twist the rear hinges.

We also love that collapsing ladder.

I'm pretty sure I need new pop-top lift struts. Even our empty spacebox and yakima racks make the top questionable, adding anything to the spacebox makes a issue with top support. When closing the top with any load on it I have to pull while pushing on one side or the other to keep it straight; its definitely not right.

Did the new struts make a noticeable improvement for you and did you get the stock weekender struts? I've heard there are heavier duty struts available to but they may be difficult to close with no load on the top.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

I haven't tried pushing up on the top with a load since I replaced the struts. We usually carry a paddle board (25lbs) and a kayak (50lbs) and the weight disparity was what caused the wracking. I'm hoping the new struts, which were very difficult to compress enough to install, will fix this issue.

y u rune klassik?
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 6.5' Collapsible ladder for accessing roof top storage box Reply with quote

I also just got the ladder, similar one from Go Westy. I do love it, but I access my box from the same side that my awning is on, so if the awning is out it's a little odd to get into the box from the back. Guess that's my fault though.

As far a roof weight. I have a box and a medium road shower on my racks. I also have the go westy locking roof struts which I think are key since my kids sleep in the top. I have found that I can lift my roof, although it takes my wife and I together, when there is a bit of stuff in the box. I try to pack mine with lite stuff like sleeping bags, pillows, kites, my shower enclosure, etc... I will say that when the road shower is full (about 75 lbs) I do not like the way the roof goes up, especially since it is mounted all the way to one side. If I completely empty the box it can be done though, carefully.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: