Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac- Edit :NLA
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

IoWesty wrote:
Those tyres look great, but they are out of stock for the 14" 195s.

FYI they are back in stock now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Can you elaborate more on the 356 Yokohama problem, the reason I ask is because I'm about to go and purchase that very tire for my westy.

katstan wrote:
Shoot. Now I wish I'd ordered these. The place I took the van to for the shaking issue I was having can get me the Yokohoma 356s, which were currently on the van, today. Camping trip planned for Saturday and I don't want to drive any more than I have to on my current tire with the broken band that's all wonky.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

flyboyaviator wrote:
Can you elaborate more on the 356 Yokohama problem, the reason I ask is because I'm about to go and purchase that very tire for my westy.

katstan wrote:
Shoot. Now I wish I'd ordered these. The place I took the van to for the shaking issue I was having can get me the Yokohoma 356s, which were currently on the van, today. Camping trip planned for Saturday and I don't want to drive any more than I have to on my current tire with the broken band that's all wonky.

The band inside the tire broke so now there is a bulge on the tire. Didn't go flat and I'm still driving on it (short slow distances till I get the tires all replaced). The Yokohomas are the tires that came on the van and they don't have a ton of miles on them but they are 6 1/2 years old and nearing the end of their expected life so given this issue and the fact that we are doing a 2400 mile road trip in August I figured I should replace all 4 since I had to replace one anyway. In my estimatation, and as the only tire I've ever driven on in the van, they were fine. A little slippery in packed snow and not great traction in mud/loose dirt - I got stuck twice when camping or driving on dirt roads in the spring but was able to get pushed out. Once was in loose peat like dirt when I was trying to turn around on a dirt road and the other was with one tire parked in the mud at a nearby trailhead when we took the van hiking one day this past spring.

I just prefer the idea of a tire with a little more traction for camping, etc. but that will still be a good highway tire - not that we're doing any off-roading but our driveway is dirt and we'll probably go up to the Adirondacks this summer at least once and often the roads to camping there are dirt as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
A little slippery in packed snow and not great traction in mud/loose dirt

Yeah I should have mentioned when I was praising them: they're specifically listed as summer (not all weather) tires. I haven't had any trouble on dirt roads, but I wouldn't expect them to perform in snow. We park our bus for the winter so this hasn't been a problem for us.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

jkallo wrote:
katstan wrote:
A little slippery in packed snow and not great traction in mud/loose dirt

Yeah I should have mentioned when I was praising them: they're specifically listed as summer (not all weather) tires. I haven't had any trouble on dirt roads, but I wouldn't expect them to perform in snow. We park our bus for the winter so this hasn't been a problem for us.

Yeah, we do plan on putting ours away for winters so this isn't such a consideration for me either but we got our van in February and I couldn't help myself from taking him out those first few months so I did get some experience with the tires in our snowy driveway one day. That said I also drove home from RI (about 200 miles) in a serious sleet and snow storm with pretty crappy road conditions and they performed just fine in that.
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
That said I also drove home from RI (about 200 miles) in a serious sleet and snow storm with pretty crappy road conditions and they performed just fine in that.

Good to know! We also tend to push the ends of the season, so sooner or later we're going to wind up with snow between where we're camping and the garage.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Alright, if they're good enough for IdahoDoug then I'm in.

I cancelled my order with our local tire place for the Yokohomas to order these Vredesteins on the web and the local place will do the install. The Yokohomas could have been put on today but hopefully I will get these soon enough.

I'm not sure what to do about my camping trip this weekend since i have that broken belt. They switched the wheels around so that it's on the back at least (was on the front) but I don't think I should drive an hour on it to get to our camping spot on Saturday. Can I drive that far on the spare? Sad.

Last edited by katstan on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Ok, i'll give it a try:

What is the spare?

Also, just to mention, I drove a Suburban for more than 10 years, and that was the rig that kept having the belt separation issue. Heavy rig used for big jobs. of the 4 or 5 belt problems I experienced, I wasn't that concerned to drive it a few hundred more miles, maybe even a thousand once.

Anyway, there is always the option to see if a used but close match tire is available. In a pinch, I've done that on many many cars in my past.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Ok, i'll give it a try:

What is the spare?

Also, just to mention, I drove a Suburban for more than 10 years, and that was the rig that kept having the belt separation issue. Heavy rig used for big jobs. of the 4 or 5 belt problems I experienced, I wasn't that concerned to drive it a few hundred more miles, maybe even a thousand once.

Anyway, there is always the option to see if a used but close match tire is available. In a pinch, I've done that on many many cars in my past.

Not sure what the spare is. The van is parked outside my office but I'm in work clothes right now so don't want to go crawling under it to find out at the moment Wink. I'll check when I get home. It'll be back roads through the catskills so no high speeds at least. And maybe I'll get lucky and the tires will come tomorrow. Not holding my breath though it did say 1 - 2 day delivery estimate. Looks like the US distributor is in NJ so it could happen.

Last edited by katstan on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

It would be way cool for them to be in tomorrow, and ON the van tomorrow too! Hope that works out.

I have to admit, I don't know what my spare is either. I do know that my spare is on a steel stock rim, that uses different hardware than I have on my rig now to fasten it on. The PO put brand new BFGs on 14" alloy rims and mounted them on the rig with new bolts/lugs. He left me a bag of hardware just in case the spare was needed at some point.

It is kind of stupid funny that I don't know. I've had the rig for almost 2 years. I've also had a set of Merc rims AND hardware to mount them from T3 for nearly that long, and have not yet done a single thing to move to the 16" setup I have sitting right in my way, taunting me every time I am in my garage.

Sure hope you take your Westy on that trip, would be awesome!
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
It would be way cool for them to be in tomorrow, and ON the van tomorrow too! Hope that works out.

I have to admit, I don't know what my spare is either. I do know that my spare is on a steel stock rim, that uses different hardware than I have on my rig now to fasten it on. The PO put brand new BFGs on 14" alloy rims and mounted them on the rig with new bolts/lugs. He left me a bag of hardware just in case the spare was needed at some point.

It is kind of stupid funny that I don't know. I've had the rig for almost 2 years. I've also had a set of Merc rims AND hardware to mount them from T3 for nearly that long, and have not yet done a single thing to move to the 16" setup I have sitting right in my way, taunting me every time I am in my garage.

Well I do still have the stock wheels I think so here's hoping the spare is the same. But geez, I suppose the spare tire itself could be ancient at this point.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Bobby brings up a good point for you Kat (and all other van drivers)

1st we should know the condition of our spares. because we'll hope it's up to the task if we have the emergency need..
mine is like 14+years old.. Embarassed

and
2nd what rim it's on and the hardware required.

in my mom's van she has aluminum rims and a steel spare, there are 5 steel wheel lug bolts screwed into 5 steel wheel lug nuts (for front or rear installation) in her glove box.

if you have an aluminum spare then yer all good.
if it's been swapped out for a steelie ask andrew if he has 5 lug bolts & lug nuts to spare when your in for the next service..

also
check the lug nut torque (just giving them a grunt from the lug wrench) after they've been off/on for 100~150miles. the tire place should let you know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Bobby brings up a good point for you Kat (and all other van drivers)

1st we should know the condition of our spares. because we'll hope it's up to the task if we have the emergency need..
mine is like 14+years old.. Embarassed

and
2nd what rim it's on and the hardware required.

in my mom's van she has aluminum rims and a steel spare, there are 5 steel wheel lug bolts screwed into 5 steel wheel lug nuts (for front or rear installation) in her glove box.

if you have an aluminum spare then yer all good.
if it's been swapped out for a steelie ask andrew if he has 5 lug bolts & lug nuts to spare when your in for the next service..

also
check the lug nut torque (just giving them a grunt from the lug wrench) after they've been off/on for 100~150miles. the tire place should let you know.

Okay, good news is the spare matches the other wheels. Tire is an old Michelin with a 3 digit date code, which apparently means it's pre 2000. 205 so wider than the 185 that's on there now. Definitely showing some minor signs of cracking on the sidewalls. So I'm thinking when I get my new Vredestein installed I'll have them put one of the old Yokohomas on the spare so that it inspires a little more confidence.

The new Vredestein tires are coming on Saturday but probably not in time to be installed before we go camping that day. So what would you do... drive on the old spare or the one with the busted belt? They sound equally risky of blowout to me! I know the prudent thing would be to take a tent camping instead but it's only 23 miles each way and back roads where I can keep it at 30 or under. I'll be sure to have the child ride in our friends' car either way.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Suspect tire on left rear. Be slow n respectful n ensure inflation correct. Enjoy the Vredesteins. Every mile Im still impressed.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Suspect tire on left rear. Be slow n respectful n ensure inflation correct. Enjoy the Vredesteins. Every mile Im still impressed.

suspect spare tire or suspect broken belt tire? The broken belt tire was put on the rear left already.

Thanks for the Vredestein recommendation. Looking forward to them.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Well I do still have the stock wheels I think so here's hoping the spare is the same. But geez, I suppose the spare tire itself could be ancient at this point.

Do NOT trust an ancient spare. This one came with the van when I bought it ten years before and who knows how long it was in the tray before that. Fortunately, there was a lull in traffic when it let go and a very wide shoulder where I pulled over. Take steps to prevent this from happening to you.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

Those Vredestein 205/65R16's look tempting. Good load rating with little if any loss in power due to ~26.5" tire diameter.

-Rob
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
So what would you do... drive on the old spare or the one with the busted belt? They sound equally risky of blowout to me! I know the prudent thing would be to take a tent camping instead but it's only 23 miles each way and back roads where I can keep it at 30 or under. I'll be sure to have the child ride in our friends' car either way.

I'd go with the tire that is currently on the rear. A 17 or 18 year old tire that has been under the van for that long is probably no good.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

I drove about 500 miles this weekend and continue to be impressed. They ride waaaaay better than the old, hard D rated Michelins I took off. Those were aged out but still had decent tread. On broken secondary roads with seams and patches the difference was remarkable - no gritting your teeth as every pot, bottle and CD case rattled as was the case.

Handling was another rave review. On these same secondary roads with curves (seems like every road here in the PNW follows the winding course of a river) at speed, the Van handled like a dream. On curves, bumps did not upset the line, and the carcass is so stable there was no wander in curves.

I did notice that when going straight on the interstate, the steering felt slightly "light". That's not wander, its that the steering feels unweighted as if the tires aren't as directionally stable as the Michelins were. Its an evaluation point for tires that is merely a subjective feel, not a measurable performance metric, so the van is still tracking perfectly straight but there is a slightly vague feel on center. If I were a perfectionist, I'd ask an alignment shop to put just a twitch of toe in to whatever the current settings are.

We climbed a steep, rutted road on dry, scratchy gravel we've been on before near BigFork, MT and spun much of the way the other 3 times. Didn't even spin a tire. A bit unfair as these are new, soft rubber and of course brand new deep treads, but performance is performance.

No particular improvement in crosswind sensitivity on the freeway, as the Michelins were rock steady already. The low noise on these Vredesteins was unbelievable. I don't know how they did that. Not only zero tire noise while driving (truly), but also no "slap, slap" sound when hitting freeway expansion joints. Made the van feel like a magic carpet ride.

And the toughness appears to have paid off as well. Some asshat loosened the lugnuts on one of our wheels while we were at a small lake paddling. The wheel fell off, bashed the rotor/hub and had chunks taken out of the lip, but the tire was undamaged.

Overall, this was one of the most successful tire purchases I've ever made in achieving gains in so many aspects of tire performance. I ran them at the van's recommended door plate pressures - halfway between the two tire size pressures listed. That seemed to be a good starting point as the front and rear axles seemed coordinated in handling. The van weighed 4200lbs on a scale, with a pair of kayaks and racks on the roof and a medium camping load.

If I fine tune the pressures, I'll update. We're heading to the Puget Sound fully loaded next week.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Outstanding 14" tire choice - Vredestein Comtrac. Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

I did notice that when going straight on the interstate, the steering felt slightly "light". That's not wander, its that the steering feels unweighted as if the tires aren't as directionally stable as the Michelins were. Its an evaluation point for tires that is merely a subjective feel, not a measurable performance metric, so the van is still tracking perfectly straight but there is a slightly vague feel on center. If I were a perfectionist, I'd ask an alignment shop to put just a twitch of toe in to whatever the current settings are.

Newer tires with computer designed tread blocks tend to run very quiet and give good handling and ride comfort. This is one of the reasons I dislike the typical 185r14 style tire's archaic tread design, I just don't know of any circumstances where continuous tread rows work better than tread blocks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: