Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mkIII odometer reset
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: mkIII odometer reset Reply with quote

I found an "easy" way to reset the odometer on our 94 Golf.

Just drive it till it rolls at 300K. I am on a trip from Idaho to Indiana and I noticed that it was going to roll on by 300K, so at 299,999 I took a pic and then was awaiting the rollover. It rolled, but instead of 300,000, it went to "0"! The trip odometer kept on going normally, as I was halfway thru a tank and checked. Has anyone seen this strangeness? Does VW not expect a gasser to go more than 300K? Do the TDI odometers do the same thing or is it cause it is an early mkIII? I would think a digital odometer would have no problem counting to 999,999 or more.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: mkIII odometer reset Reply with quote

Mine did the same. You know it's been rolled over because the word "Total" disappears.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: mkIII odometer reset Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:
Mine did the same. You know it's been rolled over because the word "Total" disappears.

I wonder what they were thinking to have it "roll" at 300K, stupidly low imho. Heck, I had 500-600K on my Rabbit when it was killed.

And I don't recall the word "Total", but I also ignore and don't reset the service msg. I only use the odo for oil change interval and the trip is reset at fillups.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: mkIII odometer reset Reply with quote

thru vag-com.. you can see the real numbers as something stores it.. ecu cluster something
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: mkIII odometer reset Reply with quote

I'll check that out when I get back home with the VAG-Com. Still seems weird why it just wouldn't display it. Seems they would need to add a line of code to make it roll to 0 at 300K and not just display what is in it's memory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: