Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel injection to carberator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric3501
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
As one would guess, yes I am sorta new to VW's. Long time lurker here but first time posting I think, or it'seems been a while at least. Now onto my delema...I have acquired a 1977 standard beetle,(yes a 1977 non-super beetle), with fuel injection and of all things, A/Canadian. It has been in someone's back yard and not registered for a while, pan is solid albeit a bit of surface rust. Anyway mice, rats or other rodents have played havoc on wiring in engine bay chewing a lot up. What I need to know, and can'take find reference to in my search, is how hard would it be to change it over to a single dual throat Carburetor? My thinking is not so many wires to fix, replace...I am horrible with wiring....Thank you for your time and patience with a newbe....ANYou and ALL help is greatly appreciated. Eric3501
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

If you trash the fuel injection, save all old parts as someone will buy them from you. In my opinion fuel injection is better than carb any day unless your going to make big horsepower. Do some research before making that decision.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

Before you decide to remove the system, why don't you post up some pictures of the wiring issues you see? It's not as complicated as it appears and it is really nice to just turn the key and have it start, idle and run without any hiccups. There is plenty of help on the forum to get you thru any issues or questions you might have.
Good luck!

Click to view image
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

Don't be a darn fool!
Fix the fuel injection!
It is a far superior way to deliver fuel!

(A fact proven by EVERY car manufactured today being injected)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

unless some very major damage was done to many of the wires, connectors, it would be hardly worth while to swap to carb, even if you had a carb set up availiable.

Note youll need a fuel pump for the carb, injection pump too high pressure.

The injection system is very very nice. easy to trouble shoot once sorted out.

Now if you have a ruined ecu, ruined airvalve, or they are missing, then economically buying a carb might let you come out ahead in cost, but at a loss of value in the car, miles per gallon most likely, future maintenance hassles (carbs need to be rebuilt fairly regularly, more so than injection stuff) and loss of improved drivability.

Wire diagrams can be found in the service manuals, often available in the classified ads, or new on the world wide web.

So it it come down to how bad everything really is to warrant conversion.

Oh, one more thing, this conversion is smog Illegal under federal law, although rarely enforced by the feds, but it is enforced in some states. think of current or future registration issues because of smog test failing.

In california, smog test cars such as you 77 Bug, even if it were to have near zero emissions, perfume out the tail pipe, clean mountain fresh air, as clean as can be, Your car will still be failed for emission related equipment alterations.

ie.... you or a person you ever sell your car to, will never be able to legally register the car in california if smog tested, and except for some few very very rural areas, your 77 Bug Will be tested! Probably true in other State too.

Good Luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

Eric3501 Do some more trouble shooting. Honestly having a 77 standard is a treat as those are the last year of the Standard in the USA.
Don't shy away from the fuel injection.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

sawed off wrote:
If you trash the fuel injection, save all old parts as someone will buy them from you.

Yeah, like me. Fuel injection is badddd. Put a carb on there and sell me the FI setup Laughing

There are very good manuals for fixing up the wiring and fuel lines. If you aren't in a hurry to get it on the road, just do it right and get your FI system back in order. Very worth it.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
annclo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

I also own a 1977 standard bug that I just bought. The PO spent $1,400 having it converted to carb. The car is in excellent running condition, just needs some minor cosmetics here and there. It’s otherwise all original. Should I plan on having it converted back? I would have to pay to have it done. Thanks for any advice. Annette (in Seattle)
sawed off
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

annclo wrote:
I also own a 1977 standard bug that I just bought. The PO spent $1,400 having it converted to carb. The car is in excellent running condition, just needs some minor cosmetics here and there. It’s otherwise all original. Should I plan on having it converted back? I would have to pay to have it done. Thanks for any advice. Annette (in Seattle)
Did the PO give you all the old fuel injection stuff?
annclo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

Nope! She did give me the receipts but no parts....

PostPosted: Yesterday 10:24 am Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator
annclo wrote:

Did the PO give you all the old fuel injection stuff?
Quote:
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel injection to carberator Reply with quote

annclo wrote:

If it's running fine let it alone. It would cost a lot of $$$ to convert back to FI. Unless you need it original to pass emissions. I don't know the laws where you live.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: