Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

03 jetta wagon 2.0
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asleep@thewheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: 03 jetta wagon 2.0 Reply with quote

looking at an 03 wagon wondering if there a
were any issues with this model year i should be aware of watchout for ie trans suspension electronics etc thanks not familiar with the water cooled side of things thanks
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: 03 jetta wagon 2.0 Reply with quote

The biggest issue is going to be with the automatic transmission, it's VWs Achilles heel. Past that, it's all the plastic crap that will drive you nuts, coolant flanges & couplers, vacuum lines/connectors, interior parts. All the engine options that year are good for at least 250,000 miles assuming proper oil services were performed (1.8t needed full synthetic to keep from having sludging issues.). Suspension depends on where you're located, in NC it's not unusual to see shocks/struts last 150-200,000 miles, once you cross the Mason-Dixon line, they'll need to be replaced at 50-60,000 miles due to road conditions.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Asleep@thewheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 03 jetta wagon 2.0 Reply with quote

so if i just take it for a test ride on the interstate and romp on it will i be able to tell if the tranny is going out or do i need to do an around town 25 to 50 up and down for 10 miles or so? thanks
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 jetta wagon 2.0 Reply with quote

no.. your missing what is said.. if auto.. better have a 3k discount for when the junk auto fails for a 5 speed swap... a new tranny from vw costs more and ive never seen a "rebuilt" one last
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 jetta wagon 2.0 Reply with quote

If you have to have an automatic, I would suggest searching for a Passat, they were much nicer cars & the transmissions were much better.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 jetta wagon 2.0 Reply with quote

In my experience, by '03, the 4 speed auto fitted to the 2.0 had most of the problems worked out, (they put them in the 5 speed auto the other engines got).

Central Jersey VW Society
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 03 jetta wagon 2.0 Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
In my experience, by '03, the 4 speed auto fitted to the 2.0 had most of the problems worked out, (they put them in the 5 speed auto the other engines got).

How many of these boat anchors do you want? I've got three shot ones on the floor & two more grenaded ones in cars.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: