Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

This coming weekend is the 3rd Annual Red, White, and Blue and V-Dubs Too show in Mountain Home, Arkansas.
I have never attended the show, and it is a 150 drive to the event Saturday (06/24). While attacking this venue solo, I am hoping I know a few folks up there, though it is calling for thunderstorms all day, so I'm not expecting much.
Now, I have found myself in a transitional point in my life, with the ending of a 3 year relationship, a stressful promotion at work, and still learning how to love and learn from life with soberity.
My hair must have fallen out a little, because as of yesterday I have a wild hair up my ass now to go on a little adventure.
This is my vessel:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have driven to and from the Eureka Springs show, 140 miles one way. No problems, just passing park cars and time Laughing
I have camped Single nights in my bus, but this will be the first trip with a few nights of wilderness wanderering.
To say I'm not anxious is a lie, I worry that with family on vacation in Florida, my resources of emergency contacts will be limited. I do not doubt my bus, I have had hiccups the past couple years but they've always been minimal.
My plan is to drive direct to Mountain Home for the show. Attend the show, and after winning my award Cool headed northwest to Bull Shoals.
Camp there, mountain bike (which I haven't done in years!) and hike, along with paddle around there in the lake with my kayak.
-Leaving Bull Shoals>Sand Gap to view and experience one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Arkansas (Falling Water Falls) outside of Richland Creek in what was once called Grand Gap, located in the middle of the Ozark National Forest.
-Next on the marker is the actual town of Ozark, and my intentions are to get lost. Explore the Mulberry River (name of my childhood street when we first moved to Arkansas) and find the child within me that I've forgotten.
Depending on if I survive (best not be any banjo music!) if I'm feeling well I'll explore for the day, meandering my way back home through country highways.
My goal is to become better friends with my bus, Mother Nature, and myself. Find swimming holes, climbing trees, dancing, singing, crying, blowing endless amounts of spit through my harmonic and truly make the philosophical leap to take life as it is, an adventure.
I will take endless photos, and ask for good vibes as a recently 27 year old gets his groove back.
Much love Samba family, and thanks for the encouragement to save my bus, and enstilling the bravery to use it as intended, to seek adventure.
-Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Roads stretch out like healthy veins - Neil Young
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

That's a good quote.

Sometimes I just need to take off on the motorcycle to clear my head. Sounds like this trip could help.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

And here, I thought I knew about every Neil song there was...
Thanks for the outlook, Manfred.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

That's a good quote.

Sometimes I just need to take off on the motorcycle to clear my head. Sounds like this trip could help.

Looking for clarity in the thicket of the woods Laughing
Thanks for the positive outreach, Camit.

Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
This coming weekend is the 3rd Annual Red, White, and Blue and V-Dubs Too show in Mountain Home, Arkansas.
I have never attended the show, and it is a 150 drive to the event Saturday (06/24). While attacking this venue solo, I am hoping I know a few folks up there, though it is calling for thunderstorms all day, so I'm not expecting much.
Now, I have found myself in a transitional point in my life, with the ending of a 3 year relationship, a stressful promotion at work, and still learning how to love and learn from life with soberity.
My hair must have fallen out a little, because as of yesterday I have a wild hair up my ass now to go on a little adventure.
This is my vessel:

I have driven to and from the Eureka Springs show, 140 miles one way. No problems, just passing park cars and time Laughing
I have camped Single nights in my bus, but this will be the first trip with a few nights of wilderness wanderering.
To say I'm not anxious is a lie, I worry that with family on vacation in Florida, my resources of emergency contacts will be limited. I do not doubt my bus, I have had hiccups the past couple years but they've always been minimal.
My plan is to drive direct to Mountain Home for the show. Attend the show, and after winning my award Cool headed northwest to Bull Shoals.
Camp there, mountain bike (which I haven't done in years!) and hike, along with paddle around there in the lake with my kayak.
-Leaving Bull Shoals>Sand Gap to view and experience one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Arkansas (Falling Water Falls) outside of Richland Creek in what was once called Grand Gap, located in the middle of the Ozark National Forest.
-Next on the marker is the actual town of Ozark, and my intentions are to get lost. Explore the Mulberry River (name of my childhood street when we first moved to Arkansas) and find the child within me that I've forgotten.
Depending on if I survive (best not be any banjo music!) if I'm feeling well I'll explore for the day, meandering my way back home through country highways.
My goal is to become better friends with my bus, Mother Nature, and myself. Find swimming holes, climbing trees, dancing, singing, crying, blowing endless amounts of spit through my harmonic and truly make the philosophical leap to take life as it is, an adventure.
I will take endless photos, and ask for good vibes as a recently 27 year old gets his groove back.
Much love Samba family, and thanks for the encouragement to save my bus, and enstilling the bravery to use it as intended, to seek adventure.
-Sam

I grew up in Mountain Home and frequented all of the places you are talking about. For mountain biking check out Pigeon Creek Trails. It isn't far from Bull Shoals and is much better than the trails at the White River state park. Not that the trails at the White River aren't fun.

Bull Shoals to Pigeon Creek: https://goo.gl/maps/n2tyQ9KVvCE2
MTB Projects trail maps: https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8007054/arkansas

Be careful on those winding roads near the Buffalo River. Lots of idiots driving to fast and crossing the yellow lines and lots of wildlife. It is a really beautiful drive when you slow down and appreciate the scenery and fresh air.

If you have issues you can message me on here and I could try and get some help for you. There is a good VW group called the Twin Lakes V-Dubbers (the ones putting on the show) I could put you in contact with them if you needed help along the way.
senseless1707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

I seriously can't wait to get my bus up and running. Nothing sounds better then puttering along in the slow lane with the windows down clearing my head on life.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

senseless1707 wrote:
I seriously can't wait to get my bus up and running. Nothing sounds better then puttering along in the slow lane with the windows down clearing my head on life.

in the south, you'll get muggy and sweaty quick, and can't hear from all the big trucks passing you 30mph faster in the left lane. but it is fun, you just have to time the steering wheel swerving to match when the truck's load of air hits you from the side. an arm rest is also welcome
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
senseless1707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
senseless1707 wrote:

in the south, you'll get muggy and sweaty quick, and can't hear from all the big trucks passing you 30mph faster in the left lane. but it is fun, you just have to time the steering wheel swerving to match when the truck's load of air hits you from the side. an arm rest is also welcome

haha yeah I can imagine. Up here in the Pacific Northwest I don't need to worry about muggy very often if ever. Good to know about trucks passing, I bet that will scare me the first time I'm cruising along in the slow lane.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

It is an experience. quite fun to watch a row of buses on the interstate getting passed, looks kinda like a snake. Very Happy

"Growing older, but not up!"
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Sounds like a great plan you have to clear your head and focus on your future. The past is dead and you can't change it. I've found that looking in the rear view mirror of life is a fruitless exercise. Things happen for a reason and we can only learn from life's experiences.

My fiance said once that "ya know, you have to go through life's crap to really appreciate the good times"... Amen.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Good luck man enjoy the trip never been there either I'm about 80 miles away from there let me know how it is
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Go for it, Sam. Cool

You have the smarts to fix anything that may pop up during the journey. And you have hundreds of Sambanistas to help out, too, if the problem gets too big.

The trip sounds like the perfect getaway to reconnect with your inner self.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Jazzed for ya! Cool

Sounds like you have the right frame of mind and the best itinerary... those are all great things that need to be done.

Please do share if you feel like it. Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
camit34 wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

That's a good quote.

Looking for clarity in the thicket of the woods Laughing
Thanks for the positive outreach, Camit.

You will find it. The road has a way of settling the mind, organizing thoughts and putting things in perspective. Im still riding the high I got from returning from Maupin last Monday.

Reaching out to the church of mother nature helps you get correct. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

There sure are a lot of great folks bouncing around here on the Samba, thank you all for the encouragement and I'll be sure to capture some adventure within photos.
I am installing a power inverter prior to leaving Friday/Saturday and am struggling to find a good location to install it! I want to reduce the amount of travel between the battery and the inverter, but also need accessibility to use the thing! Mid-90* temps, I'm going to need some moving air at night time.
Just picked up a 2000 watt HF inverter for $105. I know it, I'm a poor, uneducated, southern fella, we love Harbor Freight. Details to follow.
Anyone have any install, location ideas?

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

hoagy86 wrote:
Good luck man enjoy the trip never been there either I'm about 80 miles away from there let me know how it is

Only 80 miles from it & you've never been, it reminds me of when I lived 90 miles outside of NYC & half the kids in the hamlet had been born & raised there & had never been to NYC.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Were it me, I'd try to keep the inverter close to the aux battery with heavy wire from the aux batt to the inverter. Then maybe run a small multi-outlet extension cord into the compartment for appliances. Lots of details on his whole arrangement in various threads, but the info is sort of scattered around.

Whatever you do, make sure the circuits are protecting the battery and charging equipment from short circuiting. No fires or damaged charging equipment!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:

Whatever you do, make sure the circuits are protecting the battery and charging equipment from short circuiting. No fires or damaged charging equipment!

What gauge wire am I needing for about 3-5ft between the battery and inverter? I'm thinking I read 6awg wire on the packaging, though that seems thin...

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ozark Mountains Adventure (The Leap) Reply with quote

There is specific math on that. There is a nifty book you can get at Home Depot which has all kinds of cool shit... like a PeeChee folder on coke. It's called Ugly's Electical References and it has a yellow cover with red printing. Fits in your pocket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: