Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

Pelican Parts- I looked up an '80s MB to get the part to come up on their page. Forget the thread size and diameter, but since it matches the Vanagon, that's easy to look up here on Samba. I don't have the package they came in anymore, since I ordered them months ago, and just waited till this past weekend to install my new rotors/bearings, and these adjusting nuts.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

okay, back to knowing where my nuts are!!!
(again, from the link djkeev listed)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
okay, back to knowing where my nuts are!!!
(again, from the link djkeev listed)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Killer thanks. So bolts are separate item correct?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

There was an option to buy them altogether off the same site, but last time I didn't and I went to Fastenal instead, where I KNOW what I buy is the right thing. So, I did that again. And, $3.75 for 5 bolts seems like a good reason, but only since I go right by Fastenal on my way to a vast many places in my town..

-bobby
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

I think there was option to get bolt and nut combined but I would rather get a good grade from fastenal.

Thanks for the picture of your nuts. I like how you have the fastenal bolt info also in the picture.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

Hello All,
So I just wanted to be clear on the play in the wheel (if any) once you have done your pre-load of your axle nut and then back the nut off to achieve some play in the washer. With new bearings should you feel any "wiggle" in the wheel once you are all tightened up. Mind you I haven't installed my brake pads yet and I get a slight bit of play in the wheel/rotor. Is this too loose? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

The nice thing about both the VW nut that gets staked to the spindle and the (nicer) Mrecedes nut/lock-bolt set-up is that you get nearly an infinite fine adjustment. Much better that older American cars which used a castellated nut and cotter pin. On those you would adjust it to where you liked it then hoped you were near alignment with the slot in the nut and the hole on the spindle.

On new wheel bearings, using any of the above retaining arrangement, I seat the bearings by turing the wheel as I tighten the nut to what I'd guess is about 20 ft/lbs. Then back off and tighten the nut to a hard finger tight. You should feel no play this way.

After a couple of hundred miles, I check up on them and usually find a bit of play and that they need to be snugged down again by hand. Then I'll have no play again which then remains the case for thousands of miles. The VW method of using the washer as a gauge is to me, awkward and imprecise.

Remember that a bit loose is better that too tight. The tapered bearings want no pre-load.
swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Front Axle Nuts: How tight? Alternate nuts? Reply with quote

Here is a kit that contains BOTH the clamping nut and the bolt.
I just ordered mine, and will sleep good at night knowing my wheels won;t be flying off. Screw those "peened nuts"!

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/419638/Axle-Nut-Kit-103K10184/

Thanks for posting this solution!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: