Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yup- rocker geometry again
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

I think you guys are over thinking how much I'm thinking it through, which I think is where the confusion lies...

I'm happiest with the rocker perpendicular at half lift, bare in mind it's a mild set up with 0.422" lift 276/240 dur. on the ex. side.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

The swivel feel sit higher on the intake at half lift than they do on the exhausts, still full contact between foot and valve stem but it is nonetheless off vertically... I guess I could split the difference with the rocker shims but meh... Good enough for the girls I go out with Smile
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

Here's on for you guys...
Intake lift = 0.455”
Exhaust lift = 0.422"
A delta of 0.033"

And yet the measured lengths of my pushrods are
Intake = 11.126
Exhaust = 11.102"
A delta of 0.024”

Now I'm guessing that's just down to the inaccuracy of me eyeballing perpendicular at half lift?

So obviously I'm over thinking it all but should the intake pushrod be that much longer?

Cheers.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

the pushrods are normanly the same length....unless the base circle'a are different. with that said I routinely do not cut the pushrods the same length due to all the various factors involved. thus I can then if needed move them around to get the best adjuster location.I try to set up all my stuff with a max of 1/4 turn out from seated position. as for the inline stuff & half lift...the 1.1's do set up close to that...but not always and ...hear it comes....that are other factors that can alter this.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

It would make sense to split the difference and have all 8 pushrods the same length.
Its a split cam, more on the intake AFAIK the bcd is the same, just the lift/dur.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

you can also get different thickness lash cappers fer fine tuneing. Wink
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

Stop this crazy talk Very Happy
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

A newby geometry question here.

Would you not want to set up the center line of the rocker shaft even with the lash surface of the valve at 1/2 lift? This would minimize the scuffing/valve stem side load encountered as the valve travels through it's range. With the rockers shimmed out away from the head and the adjusters with lots of threads showing on the valve side I suspect there would be more vertical movement of the adjusting screw tip on the end of the valve stem.

Or is it a compromise?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

Yeah in some of the pics on page 1 you can see the adjusters vertical position relative to the valve stem, which at half lift is pretty good, that differs on mine slightly though as the cam profiles are split... Marginal but it makes a difference.

I'm certainly no expert but to me our valve train will always be a compromise, I fully appreciate the argument you want the rocker to be perpendicular to the valve at full lift as that's where it sees peak spring pressures but its only there for a very short period. It passes half lift twice every revolution. Thus, get it stable there and you've got it stable for the longest amount of time possible...

Yep, poke more adjuster out and get more 'wipe' on the rocker tip which IMO is not.how swivel feet should work.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

.005" from full lift also comes around 2 times.......
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
A newby geometry question here.

Would you not want to set up the center line of the rocker shaft even with the lash surface of the valve at 1/2 lift?

yes, if using stock adjusters

If using the swivel feet, then the pivot point is the center of the swivel joint.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

The valve stem can handle the scrub near full lift better than closed.
Why? because leverage.
The farther it is hung out of the guide the more it wobbles, more leverage the scrub has against the guide. If you look at it closely you can see this.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Why? because leverage.
The farther it is hung out of the guide the more it wobbles, more leverage the scrub has against the guide. If you look at it closely you can see this.

I'll write this down in my notes. Something I never heard or considered.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

Also, don't over think it.

If at half lift you are only off a little (like .020"), turn the valve adjuster in or out 1/2 turn to fix the alignment instead of spending hours getting the shims "exact".

Now that is done, figure out what length PR you need.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Why? because leverage.

Makes perfect sense!

Back in the dark ages my automotive instructor told us that you want the tappet to contact the valve just a little off center horizontally to encourage the valve to rotate a little each time it opens. Is that still the case?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

turn on the lights, it's nolonger the dark ages. springs are spiral wound and do a great job at rotating valves. I usualy try to set it up for best pushrod to tube clearance if there is a issue.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

You will modify the rocker geometry to accomodate pushrod tubes?

I will just move the tubes out of the way if it rubs. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
modok wrote:
Why? because leverage.

Makes perfect sense!

Back in the dark ages my automotive instructor told us that you want the tappet to contact the valve just a little off center horizontally to encourage the valve to rotate a little each time it opens. Is that still the case?

Sometimes it is true. We find that the valves rotate on their own usually, but only at certain RPMS. If the engine was for a generator, air compressor, boat.....some app that may spend all day at 3000 rpm, then I would probably maintain the way VW built it, with the loose keepers and offset rockers, and steel stem valves.
For most cars and HP engines, I would not worry at all, and lock the keepers and center the rockers.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yup- rocker geometry again Reply with quote

Thanks modok!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: