Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheat and Over-consumption
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KhunGun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
I don't see any mention of an idle jet, just a mis-labeled "pilot jet" of z80. that's the air jet on top of the emulsion tube. DON'T CHANGE THAT TO A 55!!! Idle jet is on the SIDE, not on the top, inside the barrel, that's the air jet, with a "z" in front.

Insufficient advance (say 5-8° retarded) will cause overheating and poor mileage. WHY DID YOU TOUCH THAT after it was set?

Hope this helps untangle this mess.

Cuz I feel like engine run bit advance then mechanic told me to turn a bit angle. But it's getting overheat before i change the angle.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Your going to have to ensure #2 tins are there. If you have sled tins you may need a mirror and a bright light to see them. Look above the pushrod tubes. They should be attached to the bottom of the heads.

Is that fan shroud chrome? Or do the pictures just look funny? It might be an empty shell with no internal veins to direct airflow. It has the indentation like the OG ones, so I can't tell. Does it have the doghouse cooler (offset) or the smaller inline cooler? If it's doghouse, does it have the two tins to direct airflow through the firewall tin? All the tins have a job. VW would have not used them if they weren't necessary. Tell your mechanic to quit removing parts of your cooling system. Does he pull out radiators from liquid cooled cars too?

The drives side intake endcasting has a raised bump on the top. Is that sealed? Or is there a hole there for some kind of vacuum barb? You need to make sure you don't have a opening letting in unmetered air into the system. It will cause a very lean mixture, melt pistons, and be impossible to tune.

I don't know what that other thing is hooked to the manifold vacuum you posted a picture of. Is this an autostick transmission or standard?

Also, is this a new problem? Or did you just buy the car and the car came this way?
KhunGun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Your going to have to ensure #2 tins are there. If you have sled tins you may need a mirror and a bright light to see them. Look above the pushrod tubes. They should be attached to the bottom of the heads.

Is that fan shroud chrome? Or do the pictures just look funny? It might be an empty shell with no internal veins to direct airflow. It has the indentation like the OG ones, so I can't tell. Does it have the doghouse cooler (offset) or the smaller inline cooler? If it's doghouse, does it have the two tins to direct airflow through the firewall tin? All the tins have a job. VW would have not used them if they weren't necessary. Tell your mechanic to quit removing parts of your cooling system. Does he pull out radiators from liquid cooled cars too?

The drives side intake endcasting has a raised bump on the top. Is that sealed? Or is there a hole there for some kind of vacuum barb? You need to make sure you don't have a opening letting in unmetered air into the system. It will cause a very lean mixture, melt pistons, and be impossible to tune.

I don't know what that other thing is hooked to the manifold vacuum you posted a picture of. Is this an autostick transmission or standard?

Also, is this a new problem? Or did you just buy the car and the car came this way?

Yes, it's chrome. It has a doghouse but i'm not sure about a tins inside. It's a standard transmission.
Everything were like the same as day my dad bought many years ago Except the spark coil. But Overheat and Over-consumption will happen when i drive long distance.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

The chrome cylinder tin don't have the proper deflectors in them Crying or Very sad I just changed mine to stock german cus # 2 didn't get enough cooling air Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Same old post with same old problems , this planet is full of a bunch of shitty mechanics .. and then the same old guessing game ,

Why not use the search function and learn something ...
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

I don't think english is the OP's first language. I sure hope he sorted out the idle jet/air jet/pilot jet confusion.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

I did a search for overheating, and came up with very little to help this guy. Maybe we need a sticky for overheating where it includes the things to check first.

Everybody has a different engine and mods, so it's hard to identify what is needed for each case.

This guy is in Thailand and apparently has a poor mechanic and would like to fix it with a little help from the forum, it's a great start.

We all start the guessing game and hope the OP takes our advice and gets the problem solved. We all want to see VW's on the road.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KhunGun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
Same old post with same old problems , this planet is full of a bunch of shitty mechanics .. and then the same old guessing game ,

Why not use the search function and learn something ...

Already did sir. I did it about 1 and half year to solve this problem because my mechanic can't solve it that why i start a post Smile
FreeBug wrote:
I don't think english is the OP's first language. I sure hope he sorted out the idle jet/air jet/pilot jet confusion.

Because all of these are technical vocabulary and ofcourse it's a foreign language to me that make bit confuse.
YDBD wrote:
I did a search for overheating, and came up with very little to help this guy. Maybe we need a sticky for overheating where it includes the things to check first.

Everybody has a different engine and mods, so it's hard to identify what is needed for each case.

This guy is in Thailand and apparently has a poor mechanic and would like to fix it with a little help from the forum, it's a great start.

We all start the guessing game and hope the OP takes our advice and gets the problem solved. We all want to see VW's on the road.

Thank you so much sir
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Not sure how much it matters but it looks like the nut on the stud that holds/braces the intake manifold to the case is loose.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Make sure you have the wider fan and not the early thin one. Thin fan will have gap between fan and shroud.and inefficient distrbution of air.
KhunGun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

rs58rag wrote:
Make sure you have the wider fan and not the early thin one. Thin fan will have gap between fan and shroud.and inefficient distrbution of air.

Mechanic said that it's a thick one
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

You haven't even verified you have all the tins in place yet. There has been plenty of things to check and you haven't done so.

1.missing tins
2.distributor timing set/advancing etc
3.check for unmetered vacuum leak
4.valve lash correct
5.verify jet sizes/choke operation
6.plugged up engine fan, or debris clogging the air passages around the heads.

There is nothing you can just adjust and "fix" your problem. You need to verify each of these items are verified correct.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
You haven't even verified you have all the tins in place yet. There has been plenty of things to check and you haven't done so.

1.missing tins/engine seals
4.valve lash correct

There is nothing you can just adjust and "fix" your problem. You need to verify each of these items are verified correct.
KhunGun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

1.missing tins
4.valve lash correct

Ok thank, i'm going to check it soon.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Is this the same "mechanic" who can't figure out why it's running so hot? If so, stop asking him questions because he is clueless.

KhunGun wrote:
rs58rag wrote:

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KhunGun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Is this the same "mechanic" who can't figure out why it's running so hot? If so, stop asking him questions because he is clueless.

KhunGun wrote:
rs58rag wrote:

I agree with that but it's hard to find a better mechanic here. Better mechanic is far from here about 600 kilometers Sad Sad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

Then either sell the car, or start learning to do it yourself.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

There is lots of useful info here, and these books can help:

-John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive".

- Tom Wilson's "How to Rebuild a VW Engine (or something like that -exact title escapes me)".

-Bentley Manual for your your year. First one I'd get.

But start by doing the list of things Pruneman99 gave you, it should solve or help identify your problem. Good luck Smile
KhunGun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

There is lots of useful info here, and these books can help:

-John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive".

- Tom Wilson's "How to Rebuild a VW Engine (or something like that -exact title escapes me)".

-Bentley Manual for your your year. First one I'd get.

But start by doing the list of things Pruneman99 gave you, it should solve or help identify your problem. Good luck Smile

Thank Very Happy
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Overheat and Over-consumption Reply with quote

either install all the tin work or turn it into a baja. then add the duel hpmx40's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: