Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rabbit Pickup rear plate ?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever found a nice discreet license plate mount and frame for the rear of a Rabbit Pickup? They only have 2 holes and the plate hangs down beyond the panel.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

Looks pretty normal.
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

It is, but I've always hated it. It just looks......unfinished. Just being anal I guess. Smile
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

Trim the frame/plate on the bottom to bring it up. Not sure what else you could do to "finish" it off.

Put a black frame on it.
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

Yea....can't cut the plate. DMV doesn't like that.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

Maybe paint the area where it mounts to the body satin black, so it looks more finished? You could also do it with vinyl wrap if you change your mind.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

well unless you customize the tailgate, or build a custom rear bumper.. there is no place other then there... so if ya hate it...

remove the plate... get a piece of cardboard... make the shape you want.. make it outta metal now... use the licence plate screws to hold it in place
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

oops... maybe this will give inspiration...

pops up thru his tonno cover/front of bed edge piece.. saw this at a show in 2011
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

Lots of great ideas and inspiration. Keep it up folks !
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

with the proper rear bumper on the truck it's a non issue

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

his is stock except he removed the ball area it looks... just add a ball it will hide a number or two..
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
with the proper rear bumper on the truck it's a non issue

Don't know what you mean. It has the stock bumper minus the trailer hitch plate, of course.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

the hitch plate hides the lower edge of the plate. honestly, every time I see a bumper set up like yours it bugs me...it looks silly and looks like something is missing.

other option is a roll pan or the accessory diamond plate bumper

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

Get in it & drive it, you won't see it then. If it bugs you that much, back it into the garage.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

the hitch plate hides the lower edge of the plate. honestly, every time I see a bumper set up like yours it bugs me...it looks silly and looks like something is missing.

LOL That's because something IS missing.....a.very ugly bolted-on plate that just looks wrong. Oh well, looking like I'll just drive it and call this another one of VWs mistakes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

stewardc wrote:

LOL That's because something IS missing.....a.very ugly bolted-on plate that just looks wrong. Oh well, looking like I'll just drive it and call this another one of VWs mistakes.

that's what I'm getting at....the back of your truck looks unfinished. but, my styling tastes obviously don't match yours

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
stewardc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit Pickup rear plate ? Reply with quote

stewardc wrote:

that's what I'm getting at....the back of your truck looks unfinished. but, my styling tastes obviously don't match yours

Thankfully....LOL I just hate driving something that looks like all the rest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: