Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking oil around my tire
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

I was just driving my dune buggy around the other day when I noticed that oil had completely coated the inside of my tire. i believe the frame was off of a 1986, but I am not 100% sure on that. I was hoping one of you guys had any information on what could be leaking. there does not seem to be anything dripping on the wheel either. so I looks like the leak has to be coming from the wheel.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

If it's an '86 then it's presumably a Mexican Beetle, yes? If so it has swing-axle rear suspension, yes?

Then likely suspect would be rear axle oil seal - search the '67 and earlier forum for details. Fun job!
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

so I would essentially need to take apart the hub?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

How's the brake fluid level?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
If it's an '86 then it's presumably a Mexican Beetle, yes? If so it has swing-axle rear suspension, yes?

Then likely suspect would be rear axle oil seal - search the '67 and earlier forum for details. Fun job!

+1 ! When I changed mine I had to redo 1 side a week later because it was still leaking.. The whole inside of the rim was covered in oil.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the group of how-to videos from Just Kampers. This one shows how to replace the rear hub oil seals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGOIWhl5SKc
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

Hi. Seems you may have a swing axle trans and the trans' gear oil is getting past the seal there.
Does the oil have a Sulphur smell? That would indicate gear oil.
Is the rear axle nut tight. Tight means 200+ ft/lbs.
Hope this helps, Bill.
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

the brake fluid level does look a little bit low. I am going to top it off and the gear box oil today and see what happens
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

dunebuggy1234 wrote:
kawfee wrote:

the brake fluid level does look a little bit low. I am going to top it off and the gear box oil today and see what happens

Can you tell the difference between brake fluid and gear lube? The differences are very noticeable.
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

I am honestly not to sure on how to tell the difference. this oil is black and seems to be very thin. I have not really messed with gear lube before. but It does feel a bit different than brake fluid. this could be because it is sitting on a dirty wheel though. if it is brake fluid, what could the problem be? there is no leaking around the brake line either. so i know it is something completely in the wheel
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

If it is brake fluid you have a leaking wheel cylinder or caliper or flex hose. If it is gear oil (and smells sulfury) it is likely leaking from the swing axle or transaxle.

If you were to lay under the car and have your lovely assistant pump the brake pedal it might be obvious.

Really you should check both.

I have found that having one of these is nice to have in the tool box....a 17mm socket to check the transaxle level.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/17mm-Trans-Axle-Drain-Plug-and-IRS-Diagonal-Tool-p/7029.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

The only other source of oil in that area that I can think of would be the shock absorber, but that would be very, very unlikely.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

Gear oil has a very unique smell. Stinks to high heaven
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Gear oil has a very unique smell. Stinks to high heaven

okay. so it does not seem like it is gear oil, which seems like a relief. I took out the filler bolt to check the oil level, and it spewed out like a milky brownish fluid. is that normal? and I can tell the difference in smells now. it seems like brake fluid leaking out. i topped the fluid res off, and marked it so I will see if i can catch it going down.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

How easy is it to pull a drum? (I don't know cause my car has typeII or III drums and they are easy to pull). Pull a drum and take a look.
dunebuggy1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil around my tire Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
How easy is it to pull a drum? (I don't know cause my car has typeII or III drums and they are easy to pull). Pull a drum and take a look.

I will probably pull the tire and drum off tomorrow and drain and refill my tranny. I just didnt want to start taking things apart when I wasnt sure what I was even looking for.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: