Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring harness for rail - which to get?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Destr0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

Have a bare frame rail and a stock 71 type 1 engine/transaxle - nothing else on my rail but a gas tank.

I need a wiring harness - what is a good one? There is a cheap buggy harness on Amazon that gets good reviews. Still need to figure out what and how to wire dash - I will need all new as this was an off road only buggy and I want to make it street legal (but still off road toy).
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

I rolled my own. Every rail is just a little different. Maybe get a basic harness and add/modify as needed?
Q13931152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

X2
If you're a little unsure how to start, I'd recomend you beg borrow or buy a copy of the earl duty book " how to build a dune buggy"... Amazon or Barnes and noble usually has or can get it for you . The three page wiring diagram in there is about the simplest and easiest one I've ever seen to wire up a buggy from scratch. I used it as a guide when i wired mine about 20 or so years ago, and modified it slightly for my needs. After all these years its still as good as the day i made it.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

IF your are going for street legal... You probably will need full lighting including turn signals.... At that point easiest would be something like Rebel wiring harness where everything is already provided and all the wires have designations printed on them and comes with generic diagrams that are enough to get you setup and working with your particular...

The Rebel Wire - V W Rail Buggy kit may do trick for you if not step up to next one, Rebel Wire VW Bug Universal Harness -12 Volt...

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits

IF you have experience wiring sure roll your own...Just keep in mind after you buy all the wire (8-10 different colors or sizes and terminals) all the switches and fuse blocks and such, you could have had it all in kit....

Might want to do a little looking here...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344781

Sure threads are old, and some links no longer valid, but concepts do not change with time, only switching for incandescent lamps to LEDS is about all...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
gunslingertom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebel-Wire-VW-Bug-DELUXE-U...mp;vxp=mtr

I've bought these kits before. I have a 66 GMC 7500 that I rewired with one of their kits and they are awesome.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

+1 for rebel wire, the wire itself is also particularly high quality and labeled well.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Destr0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys! I have done some wiring in the past but only using a "stock" replacement harness. Figured anything "stock" wasn't going to work so well - and by the time I get all the colors needed to not go crazy down the road it would cost as much or more than buying one "off the shelf"- now I know I will probably have to modify anything I get, just looking for a good starting point.
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

Destr0 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys! I have done some wiring in the past but only using a "stock" replacement harness. Figured anything "stock" wasn't going to work so well - and by the time I get all the colors needed to not go crazy down the road it would cost as much or more than buying one "off the shelf"- now I know I will probably have to modify anything I get, just looking for a good starting point.

In the past I have always started with Rebels, but as simple as the rails, if you know wiring and how to use standard and switching relays you could probably get away with the Empi buggy kit, then add the fuse bock, relays, and flashers you want. That's essentially what I am doing, I just needed the wires and it was cheaper to get the wires like that. Unless you have an electronics or ham radio store that still sells all the colors of wire you need/want by the foot.

For flashers and hazards...don't forget there are DTDP flasher relays (EP27L) that allow you to use the same relay for flashers with keyed power and Hazards with a single relay and one 3-way toggle switch and a 2-way switch or latching push button.

Basic wireing from one of the Rod building resources I've used.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Headlights can be a switching relay with an (on-off) toggle and latching momentary push button or (off-on-on)toggle switch and momentary latching push button (if driving lights are required). Or if you have a foot switch laying around from the jeep.

So no expensive headlight pull switch, or universal flasher assembly unless you want to.

Last edited by Fenix on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Destr0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

I was actually thinking I may try the EMPI kit - in my box of spare Jeep parts I have a 7 blade fuse box that I never used (new). I also have a bunch of new relays and such - I am planning on adding a 2 ton winch to the front of the rail - Midwest wheeling has lots of mud.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

Fenix wrote:
Destr0 wrote:

In the past I have always started with Rebels, but as simple as the rails, if you know wiring and how to use standard and switching relays you could probably get away with the Empi buggy kit, then add the fuse bock, relays, and flashers you want. That's essentially what I am doing, I just needed the wires and it was cheaper to get the wires like that. Unless you have an electronics or ham radio store that still sells all the colors of wire you need/want by the foot.

For flashers and hazards...don't forget there are DTDP flasher relays (EP27L) that allow you to use the same relay for flashers with keyed power and Hazards with a single relay and one 3-way toggle switch and a 2-way switch or latching push button.

Basic wireing from one of the Rod building resources I've used.

Headlights can be a switching relay with an (on-off) toggle and latching momentary push button or (off-on-on)toggle switch and momentary latching push button (if driving lights are required). Or if you have a foot switch laying around from the jeep.

So no expensive headlight pull switch, or universal flasher assembly unless you want to.

wow, just stuck this thread in my favorites because of those diagrams! that's like gold as far as a reference goes. Cool

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

Destr0 wrote:
I was actually thinking I may try the EMPI kit - in my box of spare Jeep parts I have a 7 blade fuse box that I never used (new). I also have a bunch of new relays and such - I am planning on adding a 2 ton winch to the front of the rail - Midwest wheeling has lots of mud.

I did that on several Chenowths that I restored to flip back in the early 90's.

Really my only requirement for a harness is to avoid the old plastic bug fuse blocks (learned in the early years that off road, even just cruising sand you'll pop the damned things loose at the most inconvenient time).

Wink
mac2881994
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

I used the EMPI harness a couple of years ago to rewire a buddy rail. Only headlights and essential circuits to make it run. Decent quality and much better than the three wire extension cord that was originally used to wire it.
Goshen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness for rail - which to get? Reply with quote

Well I am about to install this monster of a harness.. the only thing that i do not like is the fuse box cluster. the wires underneath are too bulky and will not lay flat on the dune buggy body... so i may have to make an aluminum stand or something to raise the bundled wire up some

My '67 Split Window Bus project :
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634144

My '67 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug Build:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541870
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: