Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

I have a 74 standard with a dual port 1600 engine..

For the last week the engine has started stalling after running perfect for 5 or 10 minutes. This happens while driving or idling.

I have tried 2 different carbs with same result, both carbs are good.

Tried removing plunger from fuel shut of solenoid. same result. no vacuum leaks.

009 dist with new points that work fine. Watched coil with test light during a stall out with no loss of power.

Fuel pump and filter are good.

Very strange problem. Almost seems like ignition is shutting off.

On a modern car or electronic ignition I would suspect a bad module.

Any Ideas?
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

Obviously you were chasing the float issue first, which is what the title would suggest is the problem, but is apparently not the problem.

I had a 70s Honda Civic once that did this and it turned out to be a tiny crack in the distributor cap. Moisture would develop in there when it warmed up and it would quit running. I never did see any droplets or anything but I changed the cap and the problem stopped.

That's all I've got. What a PITA. Good luck!!!

EDIT - what a bout a clogged vent in the gas cap that doesn't allow air to enter the tank as gas is being pulled out?
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

is there a fuel filter up front under the tank.. sounds like fuel pump ... how did you test pump ? how many psi ?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

and have you changed condenser ?
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

*Check fuel filter/filters and possible debris in fuel tank.
*What fuel pump and what PSI is it putting out?
*Condensers love to fail like this as do coils.
*Cap/rotor. Check them closely.
*Any loose power wires to the coil or at the coil?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

thanks bugee, tried removing gas cap and running engine, same result.

Vwjetboat, there is no filter up front. maybe the filter in the tank is bad.

I have not changed the condenser.

fuel is visually running through the filter and into the carb right up to stall condition.

Fuel filter remains 1/3 full under running conditions and during stall.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

id change the condenser then.. I have seen them do exactly what you describe and its cheap so not like ya dishing out a lot of money to parts change to solve issue..
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Will change coil and condenser tomorrow. hoping for luck and results.

This has become frustrating.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

id do condenser first.. don't change more then 1 part at a time..
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

My money is on the condenser or the rotor. Some times the rotor burns through and grounds on the drive shaft instead of at the plugs!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

When it stalls next, spray some aerosol starter fluid into the air cleaner, see if it starts up. I'm wondering if this is one of those situations when the fuel pump intermediate flange heats up and grabs the fuel pump pushrod.

Also, if spark related, one of those inexpensive spark tester things that visually show spark might help.

First thing is to positively identify whether the issue is fuel-related or sparking-related, like for ANY troubleshooting like this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

Hi. As Mr Cusser stated you need to be up on some basic diagnostic skills here. Here are a few basic tests one could use but would need to do them immediately when this occurs.

1- Remove air filter and peer into the carb air-horn to verify it isn't flooding over.
2- If not, then with a test light attached to coil term 1, key on, car in neutral, hand crank engine over and verify test light goes off-on during turning engine over.
3- If ok, I'd remove carb top and see if float bowl is full or empty.

Over the last few years I have seen parts failures at an alarming rate. Condenser's, points, floats, etc.
Also verify your gas tank is vented properly. I have seen a gas tank begin to suck itself inwards from this.

Hope this helps, Bill.
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

Hi guys

Changed the condenser and I think it has solved the problem.

After 30 minutes still running fine. will close the book on this one after a few more run cycles.

It would be my first condenser failure in many years of wrenching. Both domestic and foreign makes. Always time for a first. last thing to check as usual.

Thanks for the help
andrewwebb58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

glad you were able to figure it out. Thanks for reporting back!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 74 standard engine just quits after running for 5 minutes Reply with quote

myghiarocks wrote:
Hi guys

Changed the condenser and I think it has solved the problem.

After 30 minutes still running fine. will close the book on this one after a few more run cycles.

It would be my first condenser failure in many years of wrenching. Both domestic and foreign makes. Always time for a first. last thing to check as usual.

Thanks for the help

Glad to hear..
I have seen I think 2... 3 now with yours.. kinda how i knew what it was.. if you never experienced it. you would never think of it.. I just got lucky because I have had it happen. so glad ya got fixed..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: