Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

I'm down to the wire with the re-do of my 75 Super. Ran into an issue today and need opinions. The engine is a stock 72 in the 75 body. I went to hook up the heater boxes today and the easy job left me head scratching.
First question for the experts is, do I order control cables for the 75-79 beetle or what I see at CIP1 a set for 71-72 Super?
On another point the right side heater hose to the cabin went on. The left side OMG, I was really struggling with it til I walked away. I'll leave it in the sun tomorrow and hope that helps? The PO never installed them. Any tips?
Thanks all
Click to view image
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

It's just a guess. I would think yoyu would need the ones for the 75. The length could be different due to the routing of the tubing inside the tunnel. The 75 has an extra fuel line in the tunnel. This could cause different routing for all the other cables in there. JMHO

PS Just make sure the longer cable goes the right side heater box.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

Being that it came originally with fuel injection the heater boxes are different than what is on a 72. What I have found on my 76 is that the old style boxes don't match up where the cables come out for your heater controls so you will find it hard if not impossible to hook them up. Other than that the tubes between the boxes and the body are the same and should hook right up.
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
It's just a guess. I would think yoyu would need the ones for the 75. The length could be different due to the routing of the tubing inside the tunnel. The 75 has an extra fuel line in the tunnel. This could cause different routing for all the other cables in there. JMHO

PS Just make sure the longer cable goes the right side heater box.

That is one part of the problem. It seems one side fit where the other side was short. I thank you for you input. But it leads to another question. In a perfect world does the cables run under the axles to the heater boxes? I still have it up on the lift.
As a laugh, the now unused 2nd fuel line could be a delivery system for a shot of Nitrous Laughing
Click to view image
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

The driver side heater box is closer to the cabin than the passenger side. One side of the two cables is longer. Check and make sure you have the longer side routed to the passenger side heater box. Hope this helps.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
The driver side heater box is closer to the cabin than the passenger side. One side of the two cables is longer. Check and make sure you have the longer side routed to the passenger side heater box. Hope this helps.

Thank you for explaining that. My guess the cables are in wrong. I also can see why on the drivers side I'm having a hard time getting the heater hose installed.
Click to view image
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

Hi. As you have already found out the '74 and earlier components are completely different than the '75 thru '79 (fuel injected USA) cars.
Yes, on the earlier ('74 and earlier) the heater cables are run under the axles, as they are inside the frame horns and exit approx. 6" from the heater box connection.
Since you are good at fab work/welding, etc, why not look at pics of the '68 thru '71 Bus, type 2, heater box cable connection point because possibly you can use this info to fab up a link/tab to connect to the '75 - '79 cable's.
I believe all of the replacement heater boxes are set up to use either the type 1 linkage (down low) or the type 2 link connector (up high).
If you advance to this point successfully I highly doubt the oem length '75 cable will be a direct hook-up.
Hope this helps, Hooah?
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. As you have already found out the '74 and earlier components are completely different than the '75 thru '79 (fuel injected USA) cars.
Yes, on the earlier ('74 and earlier) the heater cables are run under the axles, as they are inside the frame horns and exit approx. 6" from the heater box connection.
Since you are good at fab work/welding, etc, why not look at pics of the '68 thru '71 Bus, type 2, heater box cable connection point because possibly you can use this info to fab up a link/tab to connect to the '75 - '79 cable's.
I believe all of the replacement heater boxes are set up to use either the type 1 linkage (down low) or the type 2 link connector (up high).
If you advance to this point successfully I highly doubt the oem length '75 cable will be a direct hook-up.
Hope this helps, Hooah?

A positive update. My problems are all as you mentioned. Because I have the 75 body and a 72 heater box set up. Yes I do believe the cables are on the wrong side, but wait there is more. The 75 cable tubes end at the start of the frame horns (back by the firewall). On the right side there is a piece of plastic flex for 18" or so just flopping around. The left side is just bare wire running to the heater box (which doesn't reach).
Since it's summer this fix will wait a few months so I can shake out any other problems. I will fab up tubes that follow the horns and get in line with the heater box levers. As far as the length of the inner cables I'll make it happen. I'm getting back to this a lot later than you all posted as I had a crazy day. Never make personal plans when you have two grown Sons that can call on your cell with a problem. Both needed rides today Laughing
Click to view image
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

Hi, look at the pic for this "replacement" heater box which is universal for type 1's and the '68-'71 type 2's. The link there might be easier to replicate than running a "new" tube to the lower/earlier location.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=043255105F
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi, look at the pic for this "replacement" heater box which is universal for type 1's and the '68-'71 type 2's. The link there might be easier to replicate than running a "new" tube to the lower/earlier location.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=043255105F

Thanks Bill, I will keep this in mind when I get back to needing heat, maybe in 3 months. What I did realize since the replacement heater hoses on 75-79 are a full 2-1/4" longer. I will get the cables for a 75 and I can always cut them to fit with the cheap adapter parts in the catalogs. Bending tubing was part of what I did for 30 years, I'll probably use copper and this way I could swag one end to fit over the existing tube. Add a few clamps and done. The heater boxes and linkage that is there is new courtesy of the PO. He bought lots of parts, just didn't know how to install them!
Click to view image
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

Heater? Damn, heat for 11b doesn't exist! Sorry. Yeah, modify the easily replaced parts and not the pan. The body should not be that much different than a '74 carb'd type 1 where those hoses shouldn't fit.
11Bravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Heater Box Control Cables, Questions Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Heater? Damn, heat for 11b doesn't exist! Sorry. Yeah, modify the easily replaced parts and not the pan. The body should not be that much different than a '74 carb'd type 1 where those hoses shouldn't fit.

Come on now, humping a 26# M60 through 6" of water in a paddy at about 100* and about the same humidity is almost hot, welding in a steam room at 140 gets even closer to hell. Laughing
At 70 I'm now turning into a wimp and actually use the A/C in my truck.
The car will have operational heat by October thanks to all of you folks.
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: