Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What oil pump is this?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am sure some of you will be able to tell at a glance. What pump is this? For full flow, yes, but does it require the use of any special pulley? Right now this motor has a sand seal and the bottom pulley is a older solid silver scat pulley with a red ring with the degrees. What kind of pulleys are compatible if this one were to be changed?

Thanks in advance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Frank
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

A million covers have been made , you have to physically try on the pulley and see whats up , sometimes it fits , sometimes it don't.
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

For the pump, I'd say 30 mm Melling. You can get that combo to work with a stock pulley, if you're willing to do some milling/grinding.,
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

Hey fellas, thanks very much. I was considering doing away with that sand seal and collar.... until I saw it seemed to be epoxied in place by the previous owner. Shocked

This motor had 60 lbs of compression per barrel MAX and had a breather setup bigger than the damn motor. So I am 99 percent sure the PO figured the seal and breather would get him past his excessive blow by and leaking problem! That's the only explanation I can think of that "makes sense"...

My fear is, if the case is brittle due to the motor ever having been run very hot,(which apparently it DID, very often, evidenced by an enormous, gargantuan, external oil cooler, and many missing tins) taking that collar out may result in both collar and case material in my hand! Seen that before...

Yes, all applicable tins are back in place!

So, looks like new sand seal pulley is in order, or run that one.

Thanks guys.

-Frank
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

Was it still sealing ok? If you don't need to split the case then maybe don't disturb it. That's the "bolt on" or "press in" sand seal. They are intended to be epoxied in that's normal. I would run it as is.

That looks like the Empi 8695 such as shown hear for $16
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-BUG-SAND-SEAL-EMPI-8695...mp;vxp=mtr

Are you installing new pistons/cylinders and heads?
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

Mine look like that and it's a old Dino pump and all I had to clear was the two top nuts.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

cover should not be a issue it's more of the nuts&studs. trim to fit...some times trim both pulley and the threaded thingy's. although you can also spot face the cover some too, iron covers are a lot stiffer than the aluminum & steel covers so they can be spot faced farther.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: What oil pump is this? Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for all the thoughts.

Motor is a 2276.

I checked out the bottom end and everything was in fine shape. End play was good, this motor leaked like a sieve through that pulley. The seal it had was actually spinning WITH the pulley. Great stuff.

The heads were rebuilt locally. They were GEX rebuilds in a prior life, but they had NO cracks and everything looked fine. The shop here cleaned them, did a nice 3 angle valve job and new guides went in. They came out super.

40 x 35 valves.

New 94mm pistons/cylinders/rings were put in after thoroughly cleaning and measuring ring gaps. All was well.

Carbs are 40 Dells, ran fine with them, they have been gone over and refreshed. look much better and are much cleaner now. Using CB hex bar linkage. K&N filters.

So it looks like I may be able to reuse that pump and a different pulley. Question is what pulley I can replace it with, that works with that bug pack bolt on sand seal? Kind of limited selection right? I'll try to get some measurements of the inner seal diameter.

-Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: