Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Funny non-starting
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

A few weeks ago my son texts me that his bug won't start (77 FI Standard) He gets a ride to school. Says when he turns the key he just hears a buzz.

I get home after work, turn it over on the first attempt.

Last night, as I'm on the way to Dodger game, he calls again, same issue. Have him check if headlights are dim, he says just one side running lights are out. Question

I tell him to open seat, jiggle the battery wires (just because), then call AAA if nothing happens. Since you already have the seat up, they can try a jump before putting on flatbed.

After jiggling, it starts right up. I told him go home and tighten the cables to the post.

Besides the obvious terminal maybe not on, where else should we look for an issue?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

If all that your son did was jiggle the wiring, I'd say; clean the terminals and grease them. Clean the grounding point. Check the battery feed wire to the Alternator/ or regulator. Keep your fingers crossed.

If you have a DVOM, you could keep it in the glove box and do a few checks next time. When I first started reading I was thinking iginition switch. Good luck and hope your worries r over.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

Hi. Sounds like you possibly nailed it with the "buzz" noise being a loose connection.
Personally, I'd R&R the battery, clean housing and the terminals with one of the easily available batt terminal brushes, clean cable ends with same brush. Maybe, because its now easily accessible, R&R ground cable end and assure clean connection.
With it all back together with a DVOM you can perform a voltage drop test on the positive and negative cables while cranking to assure max .2v drop within these two critical circuits.
Hope this helps, Bill.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

Use some dielectric grease at the ground cable connection to the body.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Use some dielectric grease at the ground cable connection to the body.

The body side??? THAT I never even thought of.

The battery will be 1 year old in September. I put the corrosion rings on the terminals when the battery was new.

Ignition switch? The deal where I came home 6 hours later and it started right up, would that still lead towards the switch? The reason I had him jiggle was I thought MAYBE the battery was having an issue, and over those 6 hours it restored enough charge to start up fine.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

Where it bolts to the body. Clean both the cable eyelet and expose metal on the body to make a good connection between the two. Smother everything with dielectric grease before assembling and then cover it with it.

If I were you, I would clean up the tranny mount ground strap too.

75% of electrical issues are bad or corroded grounds.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

The fuel injection grounds at battery ,make sure you clean and tighten that.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

My $0.02....
Remove the battery terminals and check that they are not corroded/pitted. The contact surface between the battery post and the inside of the terminal should be clean and smooth. Pits reduce the surface area for transferring current.

I once had a metal battery terminal (steel not lead). From the top it looked just fine. I was having similar issues to your son. I remove the terminal and turned it over... the entire inside of the terminal had been eaten out by corrosion and there was maybe 50% of the contact area remaining. There was no way to tell without removing the terminal and inspecting. So if your son just went home and tightened the terminal down he may not have found that the terminals themselves were in need of replacement.
You should also be looking for oxidation/corrosion working its way UNDER the insulation and causing the copper wires to degrade. This is usually visible as loose fitting or bubbled up insulation. Or if the insulation has pulled back due to shrinkage and exposed the wire conductors underneath then the acid from the battery can make its way into the wires .
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

Check and tighten or clean the cable 30 to the starter motor at both ends (the big one).

FI hates vacuum leaks and poor electrical connections, anywhere.
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

He was never home this weekend to take a look, and didn't call me for help.

Will check on Friday (day off) and thanks to everyone for all the EXTRA places to look...
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

Saturday I took the bug fishing, since son needed my truck to haul lawnmower (he hasn't figured out how to get it in the trunk yet) It wouldn't start. I pulled up the seat, touched each terminal wire set, and then it fired.

Sunday the wife helped me straighten out things under the seat. She wires for a living, and primarily directed me what to do.

First off, the negative wire going to the chassis was RED. I didn't pay much attention when I got in there and almost sparked stuff. So item one on the trip to the auto store was a BLACK cable. I did rough up the chassis location, there was the beginnings of rust there. Smeared it all with grease and put back.

On the positive side, it seemed the two main wires were starting to break. Wife said 10% loss is acceptable, but for $3.98 for a new terminal, we put that in place.

Wife also identified a few splices that were less than ideal. We redid those, and now everything under the seat looks good.

I don't know if it was just because it was warm out, but engine fired right up after repairs. No sputtering, no hesitation.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

Nice resolution. So, where are you taking her for lunch today since she earned it? Very Happy
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

Always the first step in car diagnosing, a good visual inspection! Great job! I cannot tell you how many cars I have repaired because I just looked. Soooo many!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Funny non-starting Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Nice resolution. So, where are you taking her for lunch today since she earned it? Very Happy

I believe THAT duty should fall to my son, it's his car.

Sunday I let her and her sister make me albondigas for dinner, does that count?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: