Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator Wiring Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Alternator Wiring Question Reply with quote

Helping a buddy wire his VW. He does not have his engine completed and ready yet. But I want to make sure we have the wiring correct before we install upholstery.

Would it be possible to connect the wires to the alternator, and spin it up with something to see if we can extinguish the dash light? I'm guessing the alternator case would have to be grounded to a chassis ground.

Thanks.

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Wiring Question Reply with quote

Just to add some additional details that should have been in my first post -

My buddy used an aftermarket wiring kit....which wasn't geared toward VW in any way whatsoever. We have absolutely every other circuit working as advertised. Just not quite sure about the alternator and the dash light.

I am using the original VW diagram and the diagrams from the American Autowire kit that I just installed in my VW and I'm about 90% sure I've got it correct.

Any input would be appreciated. I'll be attempting it this afternoon/evening either way. Would just like some feedback in the event it DOESN'T work. Then, the next logical question would be.....is that because it's not wired correctly or is it because I'm not duplicating actual conditions?

Seems like it would work if I can hit the magical RPM.....but I might be missing something obvious.

JAM

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Wiring Question Reply with quote

Which alternator are you using? Most only have two terminals. One is the power out (to battery), the other is the dash light. The generator/alternator dash light works just like the oil pressure lamp. Both are fed 12 volt power when the ignition swith is on. The other side of the bulbs seek ground at their respective terminals in the engine compartment.

You could spin up the alternator with a drill in place of the pulley, but...
You need a battery in place and connected. It's not advised to run an alternator without one in the system. The alternator and battery have to be grounded. The battery needs to be fully charged as it will try to charge and could demand a lot of power. The alternator can draw several horsepower, or very little if it sees little load. You drill won't put out several horsepower. Anyway, the real test is likely when you connect the battery. Smile
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Wiring Question Reply with quote

Thank you EVfun.

Everything is there and working. Just FYI - this test worked. Dewalt drill on "2" not enough RPM. Redneck solution, but ended up using a Dewalt angle grinder, with a soft pad, pressed up against the alternator shaft which was taped with several layers of electrical tape for traction. Slow build like a CV transmission, but was finally able to reach an RPM at which the dash light extinguished.

I know the circuit works. Mission accomplished. I can move on.

JAM

Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator Wiring Question Reply with quote

Yeah......I did that. Hey, it worked. Don't judge. Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Wiring Question Reply with quote

Kind of late I guess, but if you were just wanting to test to make sure the "circuit" worked, all you had to do was pull that wire from the alternator and touch it to bare metal on the car/chassis and the dash light should have illuminated (assuming the battery was hooked up and key was in on position). That would have tested the wiring.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator Wiring Question Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
Kind of late I guess, but if you were just wanting to test to make sure the "circuit" worked, all you had to do was pull that wire from the alternator and touch it to bare metal on the car/chassis and the dash light should have illuminated (assuming the battery was hooked up and key was in on position). That would have tested the wiring.

Thanks fluxcap. I actually had already done that. Tested the oil pressure light the same way. But wasn't sure if the alternator would turn it off. I had a similar issue with my American Autowire wiring kit. I had it wired incorrectly the first time....where the red light was on with ignition, but would not shut off when the engine was started. Luckily, it was a simple fix up front. But anyway.....as I'm really not good with this kinda stuff, I just wanted to see with my own eyes that spinning up the alternator would kill the light. On paper it was right, but I just wanted to be sure. I'm OCD like that.

Thanks for the input!

JAM

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: