Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Take The Van or Don't Take the Van?
Take The Van
95%
 95%  [ 21 ]
Take the Car
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 22

katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

My husband, 6 year old daughter, and I are planning a road trip out to my parents' place just south of St Louis in August to see family and catch the eclipse. It's 17-18 hours each way and we're planning to take 4 to 5 days to drive out and 3 days to get back.

Our original plan was to take the van and camp the whole way and even when we're there. And then I remembered how hot it gets in the midwest in the summer and none of us sleep well in the heat. And then we had an incident with the van not starting and almost getting stuck 90 minutes from home on Sunday - no big deal given the circumstances but it made me worry about a similar thing happening in 100 degree heat with 100 percent humidity (i get super cranky and can't think straight in the heat) while potentially 500 miles from home or my parents place with no vanagon mechanics around in a towable range. We'll get the issue we had on Sunday checked out by our mechanic before we go and have him give everything a good once over at the same time but still I worry a bit as neither of us knows anything about engines yet. We do have a Bentley at least.

Now we're thinking of driving my car out instead and staying in hotels or cabins along the way. That way we'd have cruise control and a reliable vehicle we don't have to worry about. But then I am remembering all the things that had me excited about taking the van in the first place. Namely our own kitchen on the road so that we can eat well and drink good coffee the whole way there and back. We could still stay in hotels if it's too hot to camp and camp when it's not too hot. But the one other thing in favor of car vs. van is how hard it is to talk to our daughter when she's way in the back and the AC is blowing - we're thinking maybe walkie talkies would help but if not then that's another tick in the car column. I've driven the van about 4 hours and back to RI by myself but we've never done more than about 90 minutes in it together as a family so we really don't know how it is for a long road trip and this seems like an awfully long one to cut our teeth on.

So given all that and anything else I haven't thought of... what would you do?

The van is a 1990 automatic full camper btw - original engine, 166k miles. His name is Iron Pots.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by katstan on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

It's June and your leaving in August.
Drive it and learn it by driving it.

Have you got AC in it? I forgot if you did have it.
If not make a swamp cooler out of older Ice Chest and try that. However, if you are still in a high humidity area then it will not have as much-if any effect.
Levi, out in Lost Wages would benefit from having one!

Get some electrical skill down in just the basics if you don't have any remembering the most important thing to do before you start working on any electrical wire is to disconnect the battery first! Every Time.

Check your oils for metal content and do a compression check to find out how that is doing.
Practice fire drills because it happens.
Practice on a road to yourself - turning off the engine and stopping it quickly without the aid of fully working brakes or steering.
Change a tire if you haven't had to do that yet.

Prepare for the emergencies and get confident in being able to cope with them and have a blast on the journey because you know you are personally ready for an emergency.
Your daughter too, make make her practice because it will build her up when so many kids are unable to do anything other then push buttons on a cell phone! She's part of the team effort to having fun!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Do the hybrid thing, Kat

One day in car, one day at h/motel. You can stay at a nicer place, enjoy a nice bath, and still save a bunch of dough.

You have planned well with 4 days to cover 18 hours of driving - remember you can also move your driving off the peak heat times to help mitigate hot weather.

Get on the Vanagon help list app, make sure you know where the people are - maybe even reach out in advance.

Then, having done all you can do, christen Iron Pots with her first major trip and jump in.

Little Iron Pots will learn a lot watching Mom/Dad do the risky and deal with contingencies in our bubblewrap world....
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

If you didn't have AC, that drive would be rough in August. Since you do, take the Westy!
Daily drive it until you leave to make sure all the little bugs are worked out and increase your confidence.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
... But the one other thing in favor of car vs. van is how hard it is to talk to our daughter when she's way in the back and the AC is blowing - we're thinking maybe walkie talkies
So given all that and anything else I haven't thought of... what would you do? ...

Smile

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Our Westy has A/C and we do not do much midsummer camping. If we do, we go north, way north. However, we came back into Maine from our Gaspe trip several years ago and it was 97F and very humid at sunset in the campground. Not pleasant and unexpected at that latitude, and I had lived in Vermont before so thought I knew what to expect.

We're planning to drive to see the eclipse and will probably be in the Westy, but it will just be for a couple of nights, a quick down and back.
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
katstan wrote:
... But the one other thing in favor of car vs. van is how hard it is to talk to our daughter when she's way in the back and the AC is blowing - we're thinking maybe walkie talkies
So given all that and anything else I haven't thought of... what would you do? ...

Smile

Aloha
tp

I did think of that. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Alright all, I do feel like I asked a bunch of sommeliers if I should have beer or wine but I'm glad to see it's unanimous so far. Now I just need to take ole' Iron Pots in to see why he's stalling out when we first start him up (unless I give him some gas at the same time). He also has a flickering battery light and a little squealing noise when he first fires up sometimes lately. Once he's running he's fine except for the flickering battery light. To Flint Automotive we will go for these mysteries soon. And I'll start driving him more in the meantime. He's been sitting in the driveway when we haven't been taking him camping every other weekend or so. Maybe he's just pouty about it.

Last edited by katstan on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Setting aside the details you mentioned, as a General Rule...

We buy these vans knowing they might break down. With that, we gotta drive and use them for the very reasons we bought them.

Drive it, and Love it. The fun just happens.

And Oh, we haven't used air conditioning more than ten times in 30 years. In the worst places we do a thing we call "bake." No silly, we fill a spray bottle with water, roll the windows up until we can't stand it, spray each other without barrel-rolling the car, and roll the windows down.

Sometimes it even leads to other activities at rest areas.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

We buy these vans knowing they might break down. With that, we gotta drive and use them for the very reasons we bought them.

Excellent advice. That's pretty much what I've come around to. I just get a little chicken sometimes.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Warning signs you need to pay attention to:

Flickering Battery Light
Squeal when starting up.

Check your FANBELT for looseness and condition.

If ever while you are driving it and the battery/alternator light comes on...
Watch that temperature gauge! Stop as fast as you can.
The Alternator Fan Belt is what spins your water pump. if that Fan Belt breaks you run the risk of overheating the engine because it is not pumping coolant.

You could seize the engine if you continue driving without coolant.
Check it before you drive it again.

katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
It's June and your leaving in August.
Drive it and learn it by driving it.

Have you got AC in it? I forgot if you did have it.
If not make a swamp cooler out of older Ice Chest and try that. However, if you are still in a high humidity area then it will not have as much-if any effect.
Levi, out in Lost Wages would benefit from having one!

Get some electrical skill down in just the basics if you don't have any remembering the most important thing to do before you start working on any electrical wire is to disconnect the battery first! Every Time.

Check your oils for metal content and do a compression check to find out how that is doing.
Practice fire drills because it happens.
Practice on a road to yourself - turning off the engine and stopping it quickly without the aid of fully working brakes or steering.
Change a tire if you haven't had to do that yet.

Prepare for the emergencies and get confident in being able to cope with them and have a blast on the journey because you know you are personally ready for an emergency.
Your daughter too, make make her practice because it will build her up when so many kids are unable to do anything other then push buttons on a cell phone! She's part of the team effort to having fun!

Yep, we have AC.

I have successfully jumpstarted a friend's car from him while we were camping and installed a new sink faucet. Does that count for electrical skills? Yeah, didn't think so. I'll work on it. How do you recommend I get the electrical skills down... just study wiring diagrams?

Good idea changing a tire. I haven't done that since about '93 when my dad forced me to do it myself so that I'd learn how. I thought he was such a jerk at the time but now I see his heart was in the right place.

And I'll try that dangerous stopping trick without fully working breaks or steering.

Just ordered some pink walkie talkies so we can communicate with the daughter in back.

I did try changing the oil myself but the cap was screwed on so tight and getting stripped that I had to take it in to have it done but i watched closely and checked for metal in the oil while they did it. That looked okay.

As for the compression test... we did have that done when we first got the van in February but I'm not sure I trust the mechanic who did it in the first place. I'll have Andrew Flint do it when we bring it in to him.

I guess I should start looking up the emergency spare parts list, too.

Last edited by katstan on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:20 am; edited 2 times in total
katstan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Warning signs you need to pay attention to:

Flickering Battery Light
Squeal when starting up.

Check your FANBELT for looseness and condition.

If ever while you are driving it and the battery/alternator light comes on...
Watch that temperature gauge! Stop as fast as you can.
The Alternator Fan Belt is what spins your water pump. if that Fan Belt breaks you run the risk of overheating the engine because it is not pumping coolant.

You could seize the engine if you continue driving without coolant.
Check it before you drive it again.

Yikes! Okay... Thank you. I have an extra belt that came with the van.. now I know why. I do check the temperature religiously while driving but I'll be even more careful now. Will check that belt before I drive it again. Just watched a video on tightening it - and I think I get the gist of telling when it needs replacing.

Would the fan belt have anything to do with stalling out when starting up?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
E1 wrote:

Excellent advice. That's pretty much what I've come around to. I just get a little chicken sometimes.
Chicken's okay, it means you're thinking.

And know all the warnings herein are because the group cares and knows what to avoid and what can cause tears. You might read three in a row and see funny, but maybe only one of those happens to you. Ever.

But best to prep for the worst, some of the cheap insurance items are nearly free but could be worth everything.

We bought ours eight weeks before vacating a 26-year residency, prepped it at a motel for ten weeks when our mechanic flaked, and have lived in it for 47 months so far. You'll be fine.

But most important, that damned bus will bring you an endless flow of conversations and great people and even new friends. All of which will make you smile and know you're in the right machine.

— Colin Chapman
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

But most important, that damned bus will bring you an endless flow of conversations and great people and even new friends. All of which will make you smile and know you're in the right machine.

Amen, +1, etc.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

Drive the van but only if it's at a good baseline of maintenance. The trip you describe is a cakewalk in a well-maintained van; in a poorly maintained van it often results in panicky posts to the samba.

As for the noise level, do you need to run your a/c at 3 or 4? If so, consider deleting the plenum. That helped keep noise levels down in my van.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424773

Enjoy the eclipse!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

jkallo wrote:
E1 wrote:

Amen, +1, etc.
You ever go to Road America? Cool

— Colin Chapman
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

katstan wrote:

And I'll try that dangerous stopping trick without fully working breaks or steering.

One thing I failed to mention is if you were to do this do not turn the key to the full off position so that it locks the steering wheel and you have no steering! - that would totally ruin your day. You could just do this as your driving up to your house to see how the brakes feel with out the motor running. The steering is the not too hard as long as the Westy is moving.

It is not really dangerous unless you are in a situation where somebody stops in front of you and you have to stop fast.

The power brakes use vacuum pressure created by the engine to assist you in stopping, it makes it easier for you to step on the pedal.
If the engine stops then what happens is you have no more vacuum pressure that makes it easier for you to step on the brake.

The brakes will still work, but you have to press harder on them to work.
Depending on how strong your legs are it can a lot harder and you loose the feel for the braking that you are used to feeling.

The same with the steering. Your engine stops and the power steering pump stops making the pressure that assists you in turning the steering wheel.
Without the power steering you can still turn the steering wheel. They sold Vanagons without power steering so it is not something impossible.
When your not moving it can be very hard to turn the wheel because of the friction of the rubber footprint of the tire in one spot.
Going down the highway it is much easier as the wheels are rotating so the tire is not stationary in one spot. It is still going to be harder then you are used to. The power steering pump creates about 700psi and this is a lot of power at your finger tips.
If your driving down the highway and there is a puddle of water on the edge of the road and it is a little bit deep you can drive right through it with the power steering.
If the power steering is not working and you were to drive through the same puddle the tire going through the puddle is going to be turned to the right and force you off the road if you do not catch it in time.

So the exercise of shutting down the engine while driving is just a drill to show you that you are still in control and that you can safely steer to the side of the road and still use the brakes to stop. If you have never done it before you could have an accident because of mild panic and over reacting or not reacting.
Having read this you could still go out on the road and try it, but just by reading this you are aware of what happens and know that it is something you can easily overcome.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

I'm pinned down for a couple of weeks with no travel due to partner surgery so it might be a good time to coordinate a visit to cover basic stuff

On the engine off test...

Reiterating , don't lock your steering!

You will have power brakes for the first few pumps until the booster vacuum is used up, then the pedal will change, and you will have to push harder to stop Iron Pots. Roll it into the Stewart's for ice cream to celebrate, working that steering wheel with shoulder muscles.

You have a voltmeter so you are way ahead of most electrical novices.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: NY to St Louis Road Trip - Take the Van or Don't take the Van? Reply with quote

katstan wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
katstan wrote:

Smile

Aloha
tp

I did think of that. Smile

Be careful. Tin from the cans can make you lose IQ points and that string is both a choke and a strangle hazard, as well as dermatitis. It's much safer to bathe ourselves in low level RF EMAG power
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: