Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

Dear all,

After talking to few combi owners here in Mexico and being suggested to join this forum, here I am.

I bought a VW combi, 1800cc, Mexican, watercooled, with carburador.
When I bought it, I didnīt know much about mechanic, and now pay the price of my ignorance. but the good thing is I'm learning Smile

So, Iīll list my questions/problem, if u can give me hint I would really appreciate.

1) I have no idea what model is this combi. I'm lost between T2,T25,T3, european models, mexican, brazilian, US models... and finding appropriate documentation... anyone can light me up? Smile I'm not sure to be in right category also.
Update: Seems it's a bay window mexican T2 1800, which is made with a 1.8L EA827 engine (same series as Rabbit/Golf/Jetta/Scirocco/etc) according to this topic. Still looking for owner's/reparation manual.

2) the combi came with a 1200 golf one throat carburador. very small for a 1800 engine. as you can see on the pic, it was even not connected to airfilter. still, it runs not sooo bad, like 90kmh on flat, going up is quite harder (30/40kmh). Is it a big problem? like does it make engine work much more? can I stay with this without issue or u suggest updating to 1800 orignal 2 throat carburador?

3) the engine gets way too much gasolina. spark plugs gets black quickly, exhaust smoke is black... I did a compression test on cold engine, I got between 140 and 160 PSI in all cylinder. I don't know how much should be (anyone knows?), but seems not bad. one guy told me I need to adjust the carburador floater because it is full of gasolina and should only be half. What do you think? The gasolina overconsumption can be this? Any guide how to adjust my carburador?

4) The engine eats LOTS of oil. As the compression doesnt seem so bad, where could that come from? It don't seem to leak oil somewhere (at least a really small amount)
Update: Will try the motor rebuilder products, see if it gets better

5) The engine gets hot. like 2 third of the jauge sometimes, can be even more. Also I can do many kilometers staying in the middle. How hot gets your watercooled vans of same model? Should I worry when itīs 2 third?
I purged the watersystem, make sure there is no air by purging in front on radiator until it's constant. I bought some radiator cleaner product but didn't try yet. the pump function and there is no thermostat. The fan goes on (there is manual switch, I always put in on)
Update: test with infrared thermometer how much is actual temp

6) I have to refill water occasionally too, but not so bad as oil, which unfortunately is much more expensive ahah. btw, does anyone know where is water purge to get every water out (I need to do it for using cleaning product)
Update: Still looking where to drain water (at bottom, not on radiator drain because I need to take all anticongelente out before putting my radiador cleaning product)

7) What oil should I use for transmission? I heard about 90hypoid, but here they suggest me 85w140 if leaking... or 80w90 if not. This one leaks A LOT. I didn't have time to check where leaks come from and if it could eventually be replaced like a joint. How do u evaluate good quantity there?
Update: Seems the correct oil is GL4 80w90, according to this topic. Also seem HYPOID is better. But I'll use 85w140 if cannot fix the leaks.

8 ) about transmission, Going from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 make big noise of mecanic. guess it's not good but nothing to do about it unless changing or repairing transmission. but also, I can't go back from 4 to 3. transmission internal problem too?
Update: Guess nothing much to do, I'll see if it gets better with new oil.

9) any nice guide of making the inside (bed and furnitures) with the dimensions of wood, etc? I'm no good carpenter...

that's lot of questions, hope not too much, and sorry for my english which is not my native language.

cheers to all
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by gailorbot on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:31 am; edited 7 times in total
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

The 1800 does tend to lock up the oil control rings after lots of miles,
would not hurt to try some of those chemical treatments that claim to
unstick rings, the kind you pour in at oil change time & idle then engine for
5-15 minutes then drain the old oil & treatment & re-fill with fresh oil.
The other way to do it is dismantle the engine, actually cleaning out the
grooves in the pistons & re assemble. Very time consuming, so try oil
treatments first.
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
The 1800 does tend to lock up the oil control rings after lots of miles,
would not hurt to try some of those chemical treatments that claim to
unstick rings, the kind you pour in at oil change time & idle then engine for
5-15 minutes then drain the old oil & treatment & re-fill with fresh oil.
The other way to do it is dismantle the engine, actually cleaning out the
grooves in the pistons & re assemble. Very time consuming, so try oil
treatments first.

good to know, I'll see if they have that down here. and I'm not skilled enough to open the motor already hehe.
but if compression is good I can still have this problem?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

hi and welcome

your bus is an odd bird here in the USA.

you for sure have major carb. issues....that will need a rebuild and/or replacement

in terms of running hot, watercooled vw's here in the states did all sorts of goofy things....I would verify your gauge and sender is ok....then move on to mechanical issues...you may have a partially clogged radiator or a failing water pump.

your transmission oil....double check your owners manual...there could be a gear oil specified for that bus that may not be what we run on the old aircooled stuff

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
hi and welcome

your bus is an odd bird here in the USA.

you for sure have major carb. issues....that will need a rebuild and/or replacement

in terms of running hot, watercooled vw's here in the states did all sorts of goofy things....I would verify your gauge and sender is ok....then move on to mechanical issues...you may have a partially clogged radiator or a failing water pump.

your transmission oil....double check your owners manual...there could be a gear oil specified for that bus that may not be what we run on the old aircooled stuff

thx mate
the problem is that I don t have any owner manual, is one of the things I m looking for, there must be some pdf online but... hard to find which is the good one.

how do you come to conclusion it needs rebuild? the compression values doesn t show that it is ok for now? the gasolina consumption for me is probably linked to carburador adjustment, but it's true that this oil consumption is scary... but could not come from smtg else?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

your carb need the rebuild....

BUT your engine may need one too. if it is running that rich, gas is washing oil off the cylinders and possibly causing you to burn oil......oil with gas in it tends to burn easily, hence your consumption

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

Man, VW really went digging through the parts bin on that thing! Looks like an aircooled Solex carb. on a 90s Golf/Jetta engine with early 80s brackets & pulleys.

I agree that it could use a good carb rebuild, but those Solex were sensitive to fuel pressure & it looks like it's got a new fuel pump, you should check the fuel pressure.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

I've seen pics of the watercooled engine before. Admittedly not super close to the carburetor, but it sure seems like that little thing is smaller than what was normally installed. I wonder if that wasn't rigged on there--as was said it sure looks like a tiny aircooled carb.

I like the idea of trying the oil cleaner stuff to see if you can free up rings, and I like the theory of gas washing into the motor from a carb with bad float and all that contributing to the oil consumption.

As far as your temp gauge, those aren't necessarily supposed to be in exactly one place... But more of an indicator of what is "normal" and keeping track of if the engine stops being "normal." For example, if you typically see the needle at 2/3 and then all of a sudden it never goes over 1/3 or goes up to 3/4, that might be when you should worry. Some VWs of that era just have the needle a little higher or lower than others, even when both are running at the same temp.

You could get a good idea of how the temps really are if you can get ahold of one of those infrared thermometers. Get the engine good and hot (so 2/3 on your gauge) and hop out and aim that thermometer at the coolant outlet flange on the head. If it is somewhere around 190 deg F then you are pretty much right in range. Then just pay attention to if the needle starts doing something different.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

I do like that VW finally put in a proper sized engine hatch, though!!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

BUT your engine may need one too. if it is running that rich, gas is washing oil off the cylinders and possibly causing you to burn oil......oil with gas in it tends to burn easily, hence your consumption

I believe that carb is a 28PICT - 40 horse.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

Bring it to me and Telford. We'll fix it. Otherwise I have no clue.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

As far as the transmission, I believe that it is nearly the same as the 091s in the late Bays, except for the shape of the bellhousing and the gear ratio.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

sorry misunderstood carb for engine. yeah, definately need to adjust the carb, or get the proper one.
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Man, VW really went digging through the parts bin on that thing! Looks like an aircooled Solex carb. on a 90s Golf/Jetta engine with early 80s brackets & pulleys.

I agree that it could use a good carb rebuild, but those Solex were sensitive to fuel pressure & it looks like it's got a new fuel pump, you should check the fuel pressure.

I think there is a LOT of pressure from fuel going to carb. however, I can't do much about that, right? there is a lot because it's suppose to have 2 throat and be much bigger, this one is small and one throat
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I've seen pics of the watercooled engine before. Admittedly not super close to the carburetor, but it sure seems like that little thing is smaller than what was normally installed. I wonder if that wasn't rigged on there--as was said it sure looks like a tiny aircooled carb.

I like the idea of trying the oil cleaner stuff to see if you can free up rings, and I like the theory of gas washing into the motor from a carb with bad float and all that contributing to the oil consumption.

As far as your temp gauge, those aren't necessarily supposed to be in exactly one place... But more of an indicator of what is "normal" and keeping track of if the engine stops being "normal." For example, if you typically see the needle at 2/3 and then all of a sudden it never goes over 1/3 or goes up to 3/4, that might be when you should worry. Some VWs of that era just have the needle a little higher or lower than others, even when both are running at the same temp.

You could get a good idea of how the temps really are if you can get ahold of one of those infrared thermometers. Get the engine good and hot (so 2/3 on your gauge) and hop out and aim that thermometer at the coolant outlet flange on the head. If it is somewhere around 190 deg F then you are pretty much right in range. Then just pay attention to if the needle starts doing something different.

Didn't think of this IR thermometer, great idea, thanks man. I'll check it as soon as I can get my hands on one.
globally, what are the max value that start to be very bad for engine? 190F?
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

I believe that carb is a 28PICT - 40 horse.

from what they say here, I heard a few time it's the orignal carb from 70's bochos/beetle, 1200cc and 1 throat
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Bring it to me and Telford. We'll fix it. Otherwise I have no clue.

hum I guess you are in the US? not helping, I'm down oaxaca and going south, but thanks for offer dear Smile
gailorbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

Thanks all for answer, I'll keep original post updated as long as I make progress, right now cannot move on because it's with a guy changing the floor which has a bit of rust, but from tomorrow i should have one more week I can dedicate to fix these problems and make an inside (really optimistic yeah...) before taking road again. Still some questions like how to drain water that must be really simple but I donīt find any drain screw ahah.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

gailorbot wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Didn't think of this IR thermometer, great idea, thanks man. I'll check it as soon as I can get my hands on one.
globally, what are the max value that start to be very bad for engine? 190F?

No. The stock thermostat for most water cooled VWs is 87c/188f. So anything right around there is perfect. (There is some variation from thermostat to thermostat, even with factory VW ones.) Newer cars gauges will read "190" from between 160 degrees to at least 210 degrees f.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought Mexican Watercooled Bus... lot of issues! Reply with quote

Hey, stop over for a Carta Blanca, and maybe Sven and I can help you out...... Emma will fetch the beers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: