Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Westy Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: 74 Westy Restoration Reply with quote

Well since everyone loved my Bus's PO hack job Rebar sway bar, I have decided to name the project after it. I broke down most of the old engine with the hole in the block tonight just to learn some about the engine and learn how to take one apart. Was going to post some pics of it. Maybe get some feedback on the heads, see if they are worth rebuilding. Also after y'all see some of the damage to the engine, let me know if it's even worth it to break down the rest of the motor, I mean is anything going to salvageable on the inside with this kind of damage? Also may be a dumb question but there is a little wheel in one of the pics, what is it for?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know I'll need new cylinder heads, just posting a pic of the damage

This is the wheel I'm talking about

Last edited by Busman1985 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Looks like a total loss.

The wheel is for the thermostat wire to the flaps.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

The wheel is where the thermostat cable curves upward to ultimately go through the tin.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Holy crap! What caused that? Its like they kept driving for a while after the rod holed the block!

Looks like a pretty good boat anchor to me.

[years ago I was working on an engine swap project --diesel into a VW Cabriolet--and the little kid who lived next door kept asking if he could have the motor I pulled out because he thought he could use it as a boat anchor.]

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Holy crap. That looks like someone dropped a grenade into it. But your heads looked to be in fairly good shape to me. At least in better shape than mine were. I'd clean those up and check them out, they're expensive too.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Nothing some JB Weld won't fix
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Holy guacamole! A VW nut should put that boat anchor in a big ass fish tank, it'd be neat seeing fish swim in and out of that "vent" on top of the casing.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Fish tank for sale $350😆
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

You used steel reinforcing bar for a sway bar? Are you out of your mind, man?

Could be a good lesson in materials science, but it has the possibility of ending very badly. Look up Phineas Gage. Shocked

As for salvaging parts... that little thermostat wire wheel should clean up. So, it's not a total loss.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

No, the previous owner used Rebar to make a sway bar. It was on the bus when I bought it. I've never driven the bus because I bought it with the above engine in it in its current condition.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Notice.....in the last combustion chamber picture....that someone through-tapped the spark plug hole so far that the tap and/or drill bit dinged up against the valve seat.

That head is junk. Ray
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

You can re-use the thermostat pulley. The rest is a total loss unfortunately.
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Well I got my some new ink yesterday to commemorate the bus build! Also got me a new welder so I can start working on the body of the bus. Going to start with cleaning the engine bay and painting it first, so it will be ready for the engine when I get one!

Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone would have this piece of the engine bay they would sale me? I've posted in the classifieds with no hits, and cant find any parts buses close to where I live. Thanks

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

Could be a good lesson in materials science, but it has the possibility of ending very badly. Look up Phineas Gage. Shocked

Famous lawyer wasnt he? Passed the bar.....
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Looks like your bus had AC at some point.

Try Chris at Bustedbus.com and see if he can cut you a piece for this section.
Busman1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Ok I'll look that up, thanks. Yea the previous owner had the bright idea for the rebar sway bar, hence the project name!😆 Yea it did have a/c at one time, I've already took all those hoses out since they were filled with holes anyway! Just ordered new metal for the inner steps, front and rear arches for both sides , floor pan, battery tray and front left dog leg. Got a lot of work to do!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

i see decent tin air deflectors still screwed to the case.
& the heads look like you could bolt'em on & run them tomorrow.....
tomorrow is another day.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Send an Email to one of these guys.
Parting out
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

VW Salvage yards
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shops/cat.php?id=12
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Project Rebar Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

Famous lawyer wasn't he? Passed the bar.....

LOL! Yeah, I hear that the bar is a real brain teaser.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: