Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A few trans problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xThundergoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Replaced my clutch recently after a broken clutch fork led to me stranded for a couple hours. Since then I've noticed a few problems. I don't think they're actually related to the clutch replacement but figured it was worth mentioning

1. Grinding hard when shifting into reverse. This only happens after driving. If it's my first time starting the car that day then it shifts clean but after making it to work it grinds hard then slams into reverse.

2. First gear is giving me trouble when trying to shift in. Usually have to give it a real good push to get into gear. Thinking about replacing shift rod bushing soon and seeing if that helps.

3. This just started today and only happened twice. Shifter popped out of second gear as soon as I touched the clutch. Also potential bushing issue? I've had this happen on long trips with fourth gear before. Read that it could be worn synchro ring teeth.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Hi and WELCOME.
Are these new symptoms since the repair?
What other parts did you replace when you had the motor out?
The first two concerns sound as if the clutch isn't disconnecting the engine from the trans. Why not with the engine off verify if it goes into reverse and/or 1st gear then start car up with clutch depressed. This is for diagnostic purposes only. Then report back. Do you have sufficient clutch cable free-play?
Regarding the jumping out of 2nd gear, does the shifter seem to travel from neutral into each of the forward gears (1,2,3,and 4) the same distance? Inspect the trans mounts and the shift coupling.
Hope this helps, Bill.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

My first impression is that the clutch is not adjusted properly, or something no right with the clutch fork repair.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Check the oil level. Sounds like you have very little in the tranny!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
xThundergoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

I thought about the trans oil level. I haven't filled it in the 6 months I've had the 8 months I've had the car and PO didnt mention anything about a change. That's probably the first thing I'll look into. Also clutch does have just a bit too much free play now that I'm looking for it. Fork replacement was a very straightforward job. I'd be surprised if that was the issue. I'll dig in and see what I can find. Any suggestions on trans oil? I've read arguments on what type to use on thesamba and haven't really found a clear answer.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

xThundergoat wrote:
I thought about the trans oil level. I haven't filled it in the 6 months I've had the 8 months I've had the car and PO didnt mention anything about a change. That's probably the first thing I'll look into. Also clutch does have just a bit too much free play now that I'm looking for it. Fork replacement was a very straightforward job. I'd be surprised if that was the issue. I'll dig in and see what I can find. Any suggestions on trans oil? I've read arguments on what type to use on the samba and haven't really found a clear answer.

Really?
Moderator summary
GL4 or GL5-MT1 is fine for all VW transmissions.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

I have used Valvoline "High Performance 80W - 90W SAE Gear Oil".
It is GL4, GL5

I have had no problems or leaks, in a very long time.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Check the sticky on gear oil, or this thread will get locked quickly. Most likely the issue is like mentioned. The clutch is not fully being released by the pressure plate, and is still spinning the trans main shaft. Try the cable adjustment first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Another thought process went through my head, last night about your cars issue. If you get inside, engine off, windows rolled up, push in the clutch pedal. Do you hear any metal stressing or clunking around? Or is it quiet?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
xThundergoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Not with the engine off. When the engine is running I get a very quiet sound from the clutch when it's depressed. I made the cable adjustments and the grinding in reverse issue was much better. First is still a little tough to get into and I haven't slipped out of gear since that day. So I'm thinking next steps will be changing trans oil and shift rod bushing if that doesn't work.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Grinding in reverse was much better as in, it didn't do it at all anymore, or still does it, just a little less? Reverse is not synchronized, so if it's still grinding at all, the disc is still not getting released.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

Except for #3 it sounds as though your coupler/etc may be bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A few trans problems Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Grinding in reverse was much better as in, it didn't do it at all anymore, or still does it, just a little less? Reverse is not synchronized, so if it's still grinding at all, the disc is still not getting released.

xThundergoat: It sounds like the tranny input shaft is still spinning. When you push the clutch pedal in, it pushes the throw-out bearing up against the pressure plate which releases its clamp on the clutch disc. The end of the input shaft remain static and is resting in the end of the gland bolt. There is a tiny needle bearing within that bolt. Sometimes, if that bearing gets no lubrication, it will freeze onto the input shaft and cause the shaft to turn no matter what you do with the clutch pedal. So, that little noise may be a needle bearing or something else.

So back to one of my other questions. With the engine off. Can you hear any noise from the tunnel when you push the clutch pedal in all the way. You need to be in the car, windows shut, engine off. Push the clutch pedal both fast and slowly and see if you hear anything scraping or metal like, maybe flexing or bending. The reason is if the clutch tube within the tunnel is broken, no amount of adjustment will offset the clutch tube moving. There are not enough threads on the end of the cable.

You need to also check the Bowden tube. It has to have a certain dip in the tube. I think it is 3/4 of an inch, but it has been a while since I needed to look at that measurement. I am certain someone will chime in with that spec.

The deal is that all of these parts work together in this system and if one or more are out of whack, the system does not work. Period. So, do you hear anything?

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: