Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

When boondocking at a WallyWorld, do you pop the top?
Yep!
50%
 50%  [ 15 ]
Nope.
50%
 50%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 30

jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

This is an eternal "topic of discussion" between my co-pilot and me: when you're boondocking in a parking lot, is popping the top acceptable? I figured it would be best to turn to the community (y'all, not the one the parking lot is in, obviously) to resolve the issue. To make this as scientifically accurate as possible, let's limit the location to walmart parking lots.

(I say it's not acceptable. Y'all don't let me down now.)

Last edited by jkallo on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

I replied 'yes' but with a qualifier. I have had to overnight in a few Wally lots while on the road needing to get somewhere and didn't have the time to get to a real campsite (or it was too late). If the lot is obviously friendly to RV's and has a few in the back corner then I have no issue parking near that area and popping the top. If it does not have an obvious RV presence then I leave the top down so as not to attract attention since not all Wally lots these days allow overnight stays. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

If in doubt stealth mode is best.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

X's 2 same here..

if there's RVs with their slide outs out.. yes.

if yer alone in the dark.. then nope..

dobryan wrote:
I replied 'yes' but with a qualifier. I have had to overnight in a few Wally lots while on the road needing to get somewhere and didn't have the time to get to a real campsite (or it was too late). If the lot is obviously friendly to RV's and has a few in the back corner then I have no issue parking near that area and popping the top. If it does not have an obvious RV presence then I leave the top down so as not to attract attention since not all Wally lots these days allow overnight stays. YMMV.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

Nope. no need to. :D :D :D
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by J Charlton on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:44 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Nope. no need to.

Show off! Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

Interesting! Well maybe I need to rethink things.

We use allstays.com (and the app, which is better) to identify wallys (and other boondocking spots) that are RV friendly. It's usually places with a bunch of tourist traffic that tend to have no sleeping in vehicle ordinances. I have been under the impression that even in the RV friendly places, it's not cool to pop the top (or open slides if you're in an RV). I'll take a closer look at what the RVs do.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

That title sure had me confused. I was all "Why not pop the the top, you are boondocking after all."

I'm pretty sure if you are in a parking lot it's not boondocking. It's urban camping. Still a euphemism, but without another catch-all word or phrase it's what we have.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

Edit title to specify "Walmart"...??? Wink

- Dave

PS: Stealth whenever possible... Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

I don't see the problem with popping the top in a Walmart lot or other approved overnight parking/sleeping spot.
If security was a concern then maybe no pop.

While parking overnight in a place not specifically approved then would not raise the flag.....er.....pop the top.
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

pablum wrote:

I'm pretty sure if you are in a parking lot it's not boondocking.

I don't know man, you have to see some of these parking lots... Laughing

Fwiw, I've always used "boondocking" to mean free camping in general and "dispersed camping" to mean the woods version of that. Title edited for clarity though!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

Agreed if there are bluehairs with slide-outs yes. If the road folks are drinking & shouting (Missoula) then no,,,, wanna be ready to roll.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

Stealth and Walmart camping are 2 different things.

Wally World or other retail stores/lots that allow overnight guests in a parking lot atmosphere like truck stops etc---yes

Stealth camping on the street, next to a business, neighborhood, police station etc. NO hence the word STEALTH
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While Boondocked? Reply with quote

I think it boils down to the other side of the equation:

Signs nearby saying "Hard sided camping units only"
OR
Urban Jungle, beware.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

jkallo wrote:
pablum wrote:

I'm pretty sure if you are in a parking lot it's not boondocking.

I don't know man, you have to see some of these parking lots... Laughing

Fwiw, I've always used "boondocking" to mean free camping in general and "dispersed camping" to mean the woods version of that. Title edited for clarity though!

Here's the deal: "dispersed camping" is what it is, a phrase for the government to designate campers doing their thing outside of a facility designed for that, in an otherwise natural (or State/National Park) setting. You really are taking a sojourn in nature. It's temporary. It's prescribed, or proscribed, by the government, on a local basis.

Boondocking and "urban camping" (and "stealth camping") are each euphemisms for living in your automobile. However since the requirements, goals, and locations are slightly different, a distinction is made.

So if you want to edit the title to reduce confusion try "Walmart parking lot: to pop or not to pop the top" or something.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

I've stayed in quite a few Walmart lots (and been kicked out of two). I've never popped the top just because I want to draw as little attention to myself as possible. I just try to blend in with everyone else...at least, as much as it's possible to do that in a Vanagon...
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

Yes!

Or at least I used to, before I went permapopped.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

Beautiful syncro right there Simon Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
jkallo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

We're giving a popped top a shot tonight! As far as wally camping goes, this place is pretty nice. So many fireflies.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Popped While (Walmart!) Boondocked? Reply with quote

My Wally Mart tip - when I use one for a night's stay I park back by the Auto Center.

They close about 7:00 and the area is too small for the big trucks and RVs to park there.

I never pop the top and have never had a problem - though there are some municipalities that do not allow overnight parking even if the merchant is okay with it (e.g. Yuma, Arizona).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: