Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearbox nose cone sealant?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
64delux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

gasket shot what sealant for nose cone on gearbox do i use instead?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kooper271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

Need more info. Do you have a 091 or a 002? With either this will work and is what I bought. (trimming necessary to use with 091)

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000199/1000737
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

When I did the nose cone on my 1977 manual transmission, I patterned out a new gasket from thin roll material from my FLAPS. I sealed that with Gaskacinch. It's similar to rubber cement in appearance and smell. Comes in a small metal can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

When I installed the retainer plate on my 091 I asked Rick Long his opinion and he recommended using the Permatex Ultra Blue.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

My suggestion would be Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker, 50 ml Tube

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-51813-6PK-Anaerobi...sket+maker
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-gear-oil-rtv-gasket-maker/

[/thread]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

Hylomar blue. I find that this does the trick with or without gasket. but like any mating surface it has to be flat and clean clean clean!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was turned on to this stuff by a coworker that once worked as a Rolls Royce tech. As well as another coworker that is our departments machinist.
http://hylomar.com/hylomar-product-range/gasket-jointing-compounds/#universalblue

Also packaged and sold by Permatex. It might be easier to find this version of the compound.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox nose cone sealant? Reply with quote

Silicones...in general...can have numerous issues with gear oils. Depending on how they are catalyzed for cure....the sulfur in gear oil messes them up.

If you are just treating the gasket surface to make it more pliable for sealing...and letting it dry before installing and exposing it to gear oil...its not an issue.

Permatex 81182 is made just for gear oil use and work VERY well.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/permatex-gear-...lsrc=aw.ds

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: