Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+'
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Does anyone know where the female connectors to fit the 'B+' terminal can be sourced so that unspliced wires can be fabricated? The voltage regulator has been relocated so longer wires are needed. Auto parts stores don't have them here and online electronics stores have info that is difficult to decipher regarding sizes. Thanks for any help!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

If you are talking about the huge female spade connectors with the yellow crimp sleeve for 10-12 gauge wire, NAPA carries them. Most of their stores are independently owned, so what is in stock on the shelves will vary based on what the owner/manager wants to carry. I worked the parts counter at one for four years and remember being surprised that they were stocked. They come in those little "blister packs" of 5. Honestly, I never sold a single package of them to a customer so they are not big sellers. I actually bought some just for my stash knowing they are not easy to find when you need. Ask the counter man to look at the big accessory catalog and they should be in the electrical section. Most of the stuff in that big book is at the warehouse and they should be able to get on their night delivery next morning.If you still can't find them send me a PM.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Possibly Ace Hardware, little drawers in the electrical section; ask an employee there who has gray hair.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

You're looking for .375" female spade connector.
Picture shown here but out of stock...
http://www.repairconnector.com/375-wide-female-spade-vw-connector-12-10-awg-yellow-25-pack/

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

I had the same problem when I switched to an electronic voltage regulator so I had to buy a package of them in order to get one. Let me know your address and I will drop a couple in the mail for you. You will need some good uninsulated terminal crimpers to put them on with unless you want to just smash it with a pair of pliers. Use heat shrink to insulate around the crimp.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Everyone, thanks so much for the info and offers! bluebug66, how about I send you a SASE (PM send your snail mail addy to me) and a few bucks so you can have your favorite beverage on me! I just need one of those connectors. My buddy has the crimping pliers. Just getting the dual Kadron 1776 engine and Rancho tranny in the '58 Bug has been a bit of a chore so I can't even imagine the effort roachdub58 and you others have been through!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Not as good as bluebug66's offer, but a source for future reference......
http://www.riwire.com.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Heck, I've run across them, not even looking for them, as a surprise, more than once while rooting around various connectors at FLAPS locations, and I bought some of them "just to have around". Still, I also have a few factory cables with that ginormous spade crimped on the ends, and I think I'd rather cut one of those off a couple inches back from the connector, and do an in-line crimp to the wire, rather than just slap on a new end connector... but that's ONLY because I happen to have that option. In years past I've crimped the end connector on and it worked fine.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

rcroane- thanks for posting that resource! I'll bookmark it for future.

glutamodo- thanks, I have my wire spliced presently but what I'm after is to NOT have a splice show. I'm after a 'Holy Grail' kind of look with my '59 that satisfies me, myself and I and to heck with everybody else... right? lol And... my '57 is reaching a level of restoration no mere mortal will be able to endure! I can 'take it' because I've been working on it for over 20 years off and on.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Take care with crimping. less than good crimps can lead to failure, melted wires and such, this wire on the regulator is NOT fused.

a poor crimp can cause excess heat, which increases resistance, generating more heat, insulation melts, wire shorts to ground, yuck!!!

use of proper crimp tool and technique is important. the more current flow, the bigger the issue becomes. also be sure to use fine strand wire, house wire, applience wire is not fine strand, and is much more likely to fail at the crimp than fine strand wire

an excelelnt source of quality connectors and fine strand wire is West Marine, they have nation wide stores and a very good online catolog. Marine use wires must be fine strand as fine wires resist vibration pull out, unlike course wires. both boats and autos suffer from vibration.

cheap poorly made crimp tools should be avoided. a quailty well designed tool will give mush better results

so fine wire strands, quality crimp tool and quality connectors (some brands are very poorly made) and quality technique and youll be golden!

good luck

LINK....
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Wire-Terminal-Tech-Specs

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

boxkiteflyer wrote:

glutamodo- thanks, I have my wire spliced presently but what I'm after is to NOT have a splice show..

Understood. Still, you could always just cut the plastic sleeve off of an inline butt splice, or even just solder the wires together, then use a layer (or two even) of heat shrink tubing over it and it will be hardly noticeable. That's why I've held onto this short wire with a big'un spade on each end, intending to do some line of inline-butt-splice at what time I should need to replace one of VR connections on my bugs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 62 has to have spliced on big spades, since the original VR used soldered-end wires clamped on, and I use a 12V SSVR. I've never totally liked the plastic-covered terminal I ended up using, thus my plan I mentioned above. And you can see how I totally hid the other crimp connector under heat shrink. Oh, and in this photo, you can see where I used heat shrink tubing over crimp-on ring terminals for D+, where I had cut off the plastic sleeves prior to heat shrinking them. Looks fairly clean, if not totally stock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Those splices look very good! I tried to solder the connectors but there is some kind of coating on the original wire strands that just won't allow it. I even used a small flame on a torch (the 'blue wrench'!) but no go. I have built electronic projects (RC airplanes, diagnostic instruments, etc.) in the past and use hard (non-electrical use) solder for mechanical projects but danged if I could get that flux and solder to flow properly onto that stock wire! Oh well... After much fussing and cussing my buddy and I got the 1776 engine into the '59. It was one thing after another that turned a relatively simple job into a ten hour ordeal! All that's left is to keep trimming the rear tin to fit, mounts carbs and other 'small' stuff.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

boxkiteflyer wrote:
Those splices look very good! I tried to solder the connectors but there is some kind of coating on the original wire strands that just won't allow it. I even used a small flame on a torch (the 'blue wrench'!) but no go. I have built electronic projects (RC airplanes, diagnostic instruments, etc.) in the past and use hard (non-electrical use) solder for mechanical projects but danged if I could get that flux and solder to flow properly onto that stock wire! Oh well... After much fussing and cussing my buddy and I got the 1776 engine into the '59. It was one thing after another that turned a relatively simple job into a ten hour ordeal! All that's left is to keep trimming the rear tin to fit, mounts carbs and other 'small' stuff.

soldering can make the situation worse with crimp connectors, use care. cold solder joints are an issue (ie that coating you discribed) also once solder has wicked into the strands, wire flexibility is lost, making strand breakage more likely in situation of vibration. Solder done prior to crimping can also lead to probelms of the crimp lossening as solder creeps over time. This is not an issue when individual stands are tinned, some wire is sold with tinned strands, much more corrosion resistant than plain copper.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Large Quick Disconnect Terminals to Fit Voltage Regulator 'B+' Reply with quote

Here is the proper open barrel connectors.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1222186
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: