Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix failing after 400 miles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Hi there

Had a pertronix kit fitted to 009 distributor.

After 400 miles it is now missing every now and then and running badly. Jerky, as if the condenser was faulty on a points / condenser setup. Anyone else had similar issues?

Spark leads were not changed and coil might be usual 12v Bosch not flamethrower. Wonder if this has anything to do with it?

It ran really well initially but now I'm lucky to make it home.

Cheers
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Go back to points. 40+ years on each of two VWs with them for me, never had a distributor points issue.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

I thought electronic ignition would be a good improvement to improve performance and reliability... Can't get distributor grease anymore (in oz anyway) and the Brazilian condensers aren't that reliable...
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

more than likely it is not the pertronix, they usually work or don't work.
Check the ohms in the plug wires and connections on the coil.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Java beetle 65 wrote:
I thought electronic ignition would be a good improvement to improve performance and reliability... Can't get distributor grease anymore (in oz anyway) and the Brazilian condensers aren't that reliable...

https://www.mektronics.com.au/super-lube-grease-3oz-tube.html
This is a decent grease to use in a dist. The link above is to a local (in country) supplier.

For a good replacement condenser. Look for someone there that sells Beru brand ignition components. I use them in my 010 dist and to date they have performed well.

Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
MrVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Java beetle 65 wrote:
Hi there

Had a pertronix kit fitted to 009 distributor.

After 400 miles it is now missing every now and then and running badly. Jerky, as if the condenser was faulty on a points / condenser setup. Anyone else had similar issues?

Spark leads were not changed and coil might be usual 12v Bosch not flamethrower. Wonder if this has anything to do with it?

It ran really well initially but now I'm lucky to make it home.

Cheers

I bought a bus 5 years ago with pertronix in the 034 distributor & a Bosch blue coil. Ran well for 4 years with no problems, but then last year I started experiencing exactly what you're describing. I've heard the "it either works or doesn't work" claim but that's not what I experienced personally. I would say check the voltage at the coil while it's running to make sure it is the 12V+

I switched to points and the problem went away.
'76 Westfalia camper, the wife's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cn63bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Make sure your plug wires are firmly attached. I had a similar experience with mine after a few hundred miles and it turned out that the little clips that are in the end of the plug wire was gone on one of them. Could not stay on the plug. Put new wires on and it went away.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Good thing is if the unit is bad it's probably still under warranty. (how long is the warranty on "points"?)

If you search here you will find numerous accounts saying they have run pertronix for years and years and years with zero problems - which includes not having to adjust points.

Bottom line is a legitimate pertronix is a very well made unit and is designed to not short out or burn up. It improves performance, reduces maintenance, and in the long run costs less. It's a win win win.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Java beetle 65 wrote:
Can't get distributor grease anymore (in oz anyway)

You could use a tiny dab of wheel bearing grease, I have. But just a few days ago I actually found my tube of Bosch distributor cam grease; of course, since one only uses a dab, most of it is still there.

None in Oz??? Go see the Wizard !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

The OP may want to check that there is no corrosion or oxidization between the original points plate and the Pertronix plate.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Test the coil. Maybe Go through the troubleshooting procedure from the Pertronix web site. http://www.pertronix.com/support/tips/#a2

Why not contact Pertronix to see what they say? They do have a warranty.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

check the pertronix wiring, make sure nothing got pinch, pulled, chaffed. make sure the pertronix wires internal to the dizzie have enough slack for the advance mechanism to move freely. make sure gap is correct pertronix head to magnet ring.

also suspect other parts, high voltage wires, coil. I once had a coil go bad, was worse when it heated up. intermittant issue, other times coils just die.

I have ran Pertronix for decades in my cars, only had one fail, and that was done by me cranking the motor with the plug wires off for compression test, that can fry a pertronix, always disconnect it from power, or ground a high voltage lead to protect the pertronix. Once running, the pertronix is set and forget, no more timing drift as points wear, even eliminates issues do to worn dizzie shaft wobble. I have kept my old points and capacitor in the trunk for emergency. but never had to use them. Only my 66 bug still has points, my 61, 70, 72 vws have them. My triumph has lucas electronis points and so my vanagon by bosch , but that was factory fit.
I like,points, have no trouble maintaining them, but one less maintenance item is a good thing, spot on perfect timing is another.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Java beetle 65 wrote:
Can't get distributor grease anymore (in oz anyway)

You could use a tiny dab of wheel bearing grease, I have. But just a few days ago I actually found my tube of Bosch distributor cam grease; of course, since one only uses a dab, most of it is still there.

Please point the way to the yellow brick road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Cusser wrote:

I'm not seeing it. That doesn't look like Bosch distributor grease at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Cusser wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Cusser wrote:

I'm not seeing it. That doesn't look like Bosch distributor grease at the end.

This is what the end looks like.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

My tube is yellow. What's the difference between the white and yellow ones?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

Mine is yellow as well. It's 100 miles away or I would post its part number. Are the ones in black for points rubbing block lube?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Mine is yellow as well. It's 100 miles away or I would post its part number. Are the ones in black for points rubbing block lube?

It's the same part number.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix failing after 400 miles Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Cusser wrote:
kawfee wrote:

It's the same part number.

Wow, I was worried i've been using the wrong grease for the past 45 years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: