Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 beetle brake fluid line?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
wild.stuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

Hi
I look for a photo of an original Brake Fuide line From reservoir to Dual Master Cylindrer; Brake hose and metal lines.
It ' s for put it the right way on resto 67' with dual circuit brakes.
From the top with Gas tank of will be great.
Cheers.
Eric
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fuide line? Reply with quote

wild.stuff wrote:
Hi
I look for a photo of an original Brake Fuide line From reservoir to Dual Master Cylindrer; Brake hose and metal lines.
It ' s for put it the right way on resto 67' with dual circuit brakes.
From the top with Gas tank of will be great.
Cheers.
Eric

The metal lines or the rubber ones? I need to remove my fuel tank and can take a couple of pics of what your looking for if you let me know what that is.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wild.stuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fuide line? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
[
The metal lines or the rubber ones? I need to remove my fuel tank and can take a couple of pics of what your looking for if you let me know what that is.

If you may all the metal and rubber form the reservoir to MC. As you say you will have to move the fuel tank ! Is you 67' stock? Would like to see the proper
Volkswagen mounting.
Thanks.
Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

The clamps are not required, But otherwise this is the stock installation.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

In the old parts micro film, it showed a rubber hose that exited the fluid reservoir lines that are 6mm in diameter and transitioned to 8mm at the other end. It had a widening about half way. This allowed the 8mm metal lines to connect to the rubber hose that enters the dual circuit master cylinder. These hoses were not available by VW since the late 70's. I researched and used a special rubber that is impervious to brake fluid and is flexible enough to span the additional 2mm diameter.

Here is a photo of the special hose. (not my photo)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

Just last fall I replaced the four blue brake hoses on my 1970 with new blue braided brake hose. This took just one size of braided brake hose.

Why four instead of two? There's a metal line in the middle for each feed circuit to the master cylinder.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

Jeremy, Does that car actually get driven onto the trailer? Or do you push it on? Laughing
My embarrassingly dirty front end is on a daily driver. Embarassed

Nice work on your chassis.

j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Jeremy, Does that car actually get driven onto the trailer? Or do you push it on? Laughing
My embarrassingly dirty front end is on a daily driver. Embarassed

Nice work on your chassis.

Thanks! However the sad part, was that I was able to take the photo today because I haven't put the fuel tank in yet. It's a long tern project that keeps getting bumped for more pressing projects. Nonetheless, It will get finished and driven at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

And can you share where you obtained the correct spec hose?
Thanks, Bill.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Thanks, Bill.

This fairly unknown company carries the blue hose for 67 and later beetles.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/7mm-Brake-Fluid-Supply-Hose-7-X-3mm-N203501-p/n203501.htm

Good Luck.

rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
rockerarm wrote:
Thanks, Bill.

This fairly unknown company carries the blue hose for 67 and later beetles.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/7mm-Brake-Fluid-Supply-Hose-7-X-3mm-N203501-p/n203501.htm

Good Luck.

I know off this oem spec hose. Have used it or the last 30+ years.
Jeremy mentioned something, possibly, not in the normal oem VW spec line of hosing.
I live in an area where many European parts suppliers exist as well as hydraulic hose builders, aerospace spec, and Parker hose supplier.
Bill.
wild.stuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

Many thanks at both it'is just for what I hoped! Cool
Eric
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

I had to do some checking into what I used for my non-pressured brake lines. I believe EPDM rubber. I special ordered some from a rubber and seal speciality business, but it was years ago.

However I did find this link, and the 6mm ID should work fine and stretch to accept the 8mm tube. The tubing is not reinforced, so the 2mm stretch should be achieved.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMOTE-BRAKE-FLUID-RESERVO...mp;vxp=mtr
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

Thank you Jeremy.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 beetle brake fluid line? Reply with quote

my understanding is that at some point during the 67 model year they switched to 8mm metal lines while keeping the small line reservoir, I have a NOS pair of those unobtanium 6mm-on-one-end-8mm-on-the-other blue hoses if anyone needs them Very Happy
(had them for my 67 but in the end it turns out my car (december 66) was still small diameter lines all around)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: