Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty trailer hitch - removing bolts in the engine support bar
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: GoWesty trailer hitch - removing bolts in the engine support bar Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Firstly, this community is incredible. Thanks for answering all the questions I never knew I had.

I have a question about installing my trailer hitch. I think this is an easy one for you guys...I searched the forums but can't seem to answer this specific question.

In regards to mounting the T-Bar to the engine support bar:
When I remove the bolts currently securing the motor mounts to the support bar, is my engine going to fall out? Do I need a jack under the engine to keep it up? Or can I just remove them and and replace with the new bolts + the T-Bar? I am thinking it's the latter, but I really don't want to destroy my new baby.

Thank you!!

Motor mounts in figure 9: http://www.gowesty.com/schematic-details.php?id=60

GoWesty install instructions here:
http://www.gowesty.com/images/ec/products/full/full_46feacb5b2cb4354b8d55d415cdbcd6e.jpg
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch - removing bolts in the engine support bar Reply with quote

mikeywhatwhat wrote:
Hello everyone! Firstly, this community is incredible. Thanks for answering all the questions I never knew I had...

Or can I just remove them and and replace with the new bolts + the T-Bar? I am thinking it's the latter, but I really don't want to destroy my new baby.

Your intuition is good, just remove the bolts, your engine will be fine.

That's exactly how I did mine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch - removing bolts in the engine support bar Reply with quote

As a note of caution, I had some alignment issues and had to keep all the bolts quite loose, force the issue a bit and then crank everything down. It was not an ideal fit but the hitch worked well for hauling a bike rack. It has since been replaced by an RMW bumper with receiver hitch. The GW hitch worked fine, the fit on my van was not perfect.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty trailer hitch - removing bolts in the engine support bar Reply with quote

thank you both very much! I am only planning to use the hitch for a 4 bike rack - probably the Thule Swingdaddy. This hitch should fit my needs but I guess we'll see! Gonna tackle this task on Sunday afternoon. Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: