Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator options
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Alternator options Reply with quote

My 55 amp, 40 year old alternator, I'm afraid, is about to give up the ghost. It's making lots of metallic noise and sometimes it stops charging for a little while.

Local options:

Reputable electrical shop rebuilds industrial and fish boat alternators but they want $250.min. exchange.

Samba classifieds- Not so hot looking used (untested)

Rebuilt from flaps- $209.00 exchange. Rebuilder- Grace L. Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company (Who knows?)

New from flaps- $289 exchange. Rebuilder- economic slave (China)

Kinda lose the trail searching online. Can someone point out other options?

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Find the one with the word " reputable" and send your money there, and cry once.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Shocked ....uh.....the Grace L. Ferguson airline and storm door company....is a comedy routine by Bob Newhart.....in the early 1960's
Laughing Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

My local generator rebuilder guy charges about $70. His work is nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

-Check with your local FLAPS and see what they had available.

-Give Halsey Import Parts a call.

-I haven't dealt with them in years at this point, but Bus Boys are showing an alternator for $140 + core.

-You might look at ways to install at Delco or other common alternator and figure out how to keep her cool.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

-I haven't dealt with them in years at this point, but Bus Boys are showing an alternator for $140 + core.

do they actually exist still? I thought they closed up shop.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

do they actually exist still? I thought they closed up shop.

They still have a website out there. I was searching for some part the other day and their site popped up to my surprise.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

You could always buy a pair of bearings from a bearing supply house, and remove and press the new ones on (or have it done). They're likely a standard metric sized bearing. I did that to the bearings on the alternator on my '71, and it works fine.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

There's a guy on eBay who sells the 55amp AL75X rebuilt and rewound to 75amp. I haven't had any problems with mine.

He was in Van Nuys, CA. Not sure if this is the same guy, but it didn't have the same problems as the Bosch remanufactured units that shorts out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252894618884

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
...it didn't have the same problems as the Bosch remanufactured units that shorts out.

Hmmm Think Are you suggesting that alternators rebuilt by Robert Bosch GmbH are randomly shorting out? That's concerning, because just four days ago, I bought a 55A alternator, rebuilt by Bosch U.S., and thinking I got a pretty damn good deal at my FLAPS, at $140 (and this place is indeed friendly...Winchester Auto on Winchester Blvd. It's where you go when you want quality stuff, above and beyond your O'Reillys, Auto Zones, etc).

Anyway, to the point: when I got the alternator home, in my quiet garage, I started spinning it in-hand, and the frickin' rotor was rubbing on the stator, making a kind of swish swish pfftt pfft sound at certain points in the rotation. I got annoyed, took it back, and the dude behind the counter spun it and said "oh yeah, I definitely hear that...I feel something too." Okay, cool, so I said "hey, I haven't even finished my engine yet, and I don't want to start the warranty clock, so let's just do a refund." And so that's done...for now.

But I'm concerned to hear this comment that the Bosch units are shorting out...and it's NOT related to the post touching the back cover??
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Shoot, Ronin10 is about to give me back the one I loaned him a year ago. So I know it's tested. I got another in the basement untested. Both loaned to me by buddies. If you need a loaner in a pinch call me up. You know how the Pacific Northwest loaner system works Very Happy Been itching to road trip out to your place Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
BayCreamPuff wrote:
...it didn't have the same problems as the Bosch remanufactured units that shorts out.

Hmmm Think Are you suggesting that alternators rebuilt by Robert Bosch GmbH are randomly shorting out? That's concerning, because just four days ago, I bought a 55A alternator, rebuilt by Bosch U.S., and thinking I got a pretty damn good deal at my FLAPS, at $140 (and this place is indeed friendly...Winchester Auto on Winchester Blvd. It's where you go when you want quality stuff, above and beyond your O'Reillys, Auto Zones, etc).

Anyway, to the point: when I got the alternator home, in my quiet garage, I started spinning it in-hand, and the frickin' rotor was rubbing on the stator, making a kind of swish swish pfftt pfft sound at certain points in the rotation. I got annoyed, took it back, and the dude behind the counter spun it and said "oh yeah, I definitely hear that...I feel something too." Okay, cool, so I said "hey, I haven't even finished my engine yet, and I don't want to start the warranty clock, so let's just do a refund." And so that's done...for now.

But I'm concerned to hear this comment that the Bosch units are shorting out...and it's NOT related to the post touching the back cover??

I was referring to the post shorting out on the cover.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Alternator Type IV (4)
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Wait a minute , why does a rebuilder want a core? If your alternator is operational, Have them rebuild and return your alternator?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Thanks, BCP...I am still stoked on this Bosch reman, I still think it's a great deal at a buck-forty.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
You could always buy a pair of bearings from a bearing supply house, and remove and press the new ones on (or have it done). They're likely a standard metric sized bearing. I did that to the bearings on the alternator on my '71, and it works fine.

New bearings and brushes should get you another 100K down the road.
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

Anywhere I might find the bearing size and the brush numbers. Idunno, maybe there's too many variants.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

The bearings you just measure shaft diameter, outside diameter, and thickness (in mm). Two of those dimensions specify the bearing, but I forget which two. Look up standard metric bearings online for the specifics. Also, you want the high speed (19,000 r/m?) version.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternator options Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
There's a guy on eBay who sells the 55amp AL75X rebuilt and rewound to 75amp. I haven't had any problems with mine.

He was in Van Nuys, CA. Not sure if this is the same guy, but it didn't have the same problems as the Bosch remanufactured units that shorts out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252894618884

This is what I did.
A little pricey, but the extra amperage is nice without having to switch to the other 70 Amp Bus alternator

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: